Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
terry and jo

What DO You Carry in Your Truck??

Basically, the question is: What are you carrying in your truck as opposed to those items being in the trailer?

For myself, I've been thinking of having 2 extra 40# LPG tanks and some kind of "adaptable" ladder. You know, the kind that folds into different forms. (For some reason, I'm not sure that I want my 200+ pounds to be up on the rear ladder and the roof, so I need something to use to clean off the tops of slides before retracting them.)

One of my favorite quotes: "Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back to life again."

Terry

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
usandthreedogs

I bought the biggest toolbox Protech makes and stuffed it full!
2 gal oil, 1-gal antifreeze, 1- gal ww fluid, brake fluid, PS fluid, 6 ton bottle jack , handyman jack, full emergency kit(extra coats,socks,hats,gloves for 4, space blankets, sterno, flares,30 ft tow strap,10 ft chain
COMPLETE set of hand tools( I used to be a SnapOn man) spare belt, T-stat,CPS, fuel line, hose clamps, 24 volt wire feed welder, cordless impact, cordless drill, drill bits, hole saws,
I'm sure I forgot something.
as a fulltimer this is my garage so I gotta have it
Oh and 2 fuel tanks 1 50gal midtank and 1 40 gal rear

2005 Titanum 34E39Qs
02 Ford F550 CC 4x4.
we call him Tom Dually
usandthreedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Jack in Alaska

My 2004 Dodge dually 4x4 weighs in at 10,000 lbs. fueled and ready to hook-up and tow.
I carry 45 extra gals of fuel, 1 gal ea. of antifreeze & fuel conditioner, 1 qt. of oil, tranny fluid, diff. fluid & x-fer case fluid. 2 sets of tires chains, shovel, 3000 watt Yamaha gen., 12 ton bottle jack, tire irons. various hand tools, flares, 30' one inch tow rope with chain ends, an extra unmounted truck tire and warm clothes.
Traveling the Alaska Hyw in early winter and late winter we need all of that stuff for safety.
I carry an eight foot aluminum ladder on my rear RV ladder. Also an extra unmounted trailer tire in the storage compartment.
You can always get a tire mounted at a reasonable price but buying one on the Ak. Hyw. can be a real pricey situation.

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
TVA

We found a collapsable extension ladder at Target.
We've since seen them at Camping World.
We wouldn't mess with the extra propane tanks.
Portable air compessor would be very handy.
We have a good supply of hand tools along such as wrenches, sockets, pliers, channel locks and hammer to do minor repairs with.
TVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
billr

I agree, scrap the extra propane tanks. The ones in the Suite are plent big and can fill at most campgrounds or any town.

The rear ladder is not that bad for the times when you have to get on the roof. I carry an 8' very light wt allum step ladder (cheap so the thieves will pass) on a home made bracket on the rear ladder. It can't be used for roof access, but good for everything else.

Sears sells a nice light wt small pancake type 120V portable air comp that goes to 150psi that works perfect for the 17.5" tires on the MS. Also handy for the truck and pin box etc. It only is around 40lbs and it lives in the basement.

I load as much as I can on the truck just to get the rear suspension to do its job. And I don't care what my pin wt is anymore. :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist... :wink:
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:50 AM   #6
RodeWorthy

What I carry in the truck

I carry two 5 gallon cans of diesel and 5 gallons of generator gasoline. The extra diesel is a carry over from concerns when ULSD was not always available. That is rare now - ULSD is everywhere in Canada and USA. Not sure about Mexico but I don't go there. I dump it in tank regularly and replace it to keep it fresh. I have never needed that extra diesel fuel. May give up on it. Still need the gennie fuel.

I can't imagine why anyone in a fifth wheel would need to carry extra propane. Motorhome maybe. Our trailer's 2 x 40 lb tanks last a long time and propane is readily available.

I have a 12-ton air powered bottle jack but don't need it any more since we have the Level-Up so it is gone.

I love my 17 foot collapsable extension ladder that rides behind the 5th wheel hitch. It is really stable and I can use it all around the trailer as a straight extension ladder or a step ladder. I had a 13 foot but it was not long enough.

A pry bar for wheel covers and jumper cables. All other tools are in the trailer basement.

I have a 12V on-board air compressor system that is supposed to be mounted under the truck bed but I temporarily made it stand alone and it rides in the basement. That 'temporary' has turmed into 3 years. I need to get it installed in the truck. When that happens I will direct connect it to my Trailersaver hitch as well as have hoses for tire maintenance, etc.

Wood blocking of various sizes including plywood panels that have come in handy.

A large suitcase that holds our off-season or rarely used clothes. It rides in the back seat of our crew cab. We are extended trip (6 months) travellers but not full-timers.

Bicycle rack on roof of truck.

That's it.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
missourijan

We carry an extra 5 gal of diesel and 5 gal of gas (for the portable generator), the "Maytag" (portable campfire), sometimes wood for campfires, king pin stabilizer, that's about it. Our 2005 Dodge dually weighs in at about 8,100, more if we are carrying some wood. Used to carry the bikes after the bike rack broke off the back end (receiver & bike rack from factory), then we had a receiver made for the king pin and carry them way up there, out of the way.
2012 Mobile Suite #5942
2012 Ford F350 Super duty
"We used to work, now we workamp"
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
bstark

Partial list:

Harley Ultra, with all weather clothing and boots
32 gal 'Blue biffy' tank.
8' aluminum step ladder
5' levelling boards
100' air hose with 'Q' connects.
100' of water hose
1 25' 50amp ext cord
2 25' 30amp ext cords
8 dogbones of various types
100' of #12 awg ext cord
4800 watt Mitsubishi genny on roll out drawer'
2 gal fuel for genny
2 air over hydraulic 20ton jacks in different heights
foldable lawn rake
barn broom
wheel kit and handle for genny if I want to locate it far from truck.
4 folding chairs 2 director's and 2 rockers
porter cable multi speed polisher with various attachements and polishes
sewage fittings and 30' of extra hose
complete set of tools, ratchets, sockets combo wrenches, soldering irons, spools of most AWG guages of wire, connectors, etc., etc..
30lb propane tank
2 complete sets of golfclubs on Sun Mountain foldable carts
Emergency flares, triangles and fire extinguishers (2)
various types of receiver /ball/combos in 1& 7/8ths" to 2&5/16ths"

A whole bunch more that escapes memory but all adds up to the truck weighing loaded with 200gals of fuel to over 17,600lbs without the trailer hooked to it.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
billr

Man Bruce, good thing you tow with that International!! Whew!! :lol: :lol:
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
bstark

Bill: I even have spares for my spares! Get a kick out of walking around trailer parks and seeing people attempting to deal with a broken item and saying something like "I can either fix it or replace it for you". Haaar!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:21 AM   #11
johndglynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan
We carry an extra 5 gal of diesel and 5 gal of gas (for the portable generator), the "Maytag" (portable campfire), sometimes wood for campfires, king pin stabilizer, that's about it. Our 2005 Dodge dually weighs in at about 8,100, more if we are carrying some wood. Used to carry the bikes after the bike rack broke off the back end (receiver & bike rack from factory), then we had a receiver made for the king pin and carry them way up there, out of the way.
We have almost the same list. Perhaps the best question for this thread is what Camping Gear is in your truck?.

One thing that you particularly notice in my truck during camping is the portable campfire. It definitely helps me in cooking and warming a water. And if the area is too much crowded, why not bring a campsite occupied signs.
johndglynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
The View 5046

We carry large tool box, never can have to many tools.. I also carry extra fuel filter for the Freightliner (very important for Diesel trucks), I carry no extra fuel, however we have twin 80 gallon fuel tanks. However now I re-fuel at a half tank it doesn't seem as bad !!!

We have extra extensions cords.
Air compressor 150lb capacity.
Corded drill.. and drill bits...
Cordless drill.
Two Bikes inside the basement.
Extra sewer connectors.
Slime Line Dish with Tri-Pod.
Heat Gun.
Duck Tape.
Extra sewer hoses stored under the 5th whee frame...

P.S. I also take a extra 40 lb propane tank... When full timing we had ever cabinet and basement was full. Learn that we were hauling a lot "STUFF" we didn't use. We now know why we were always over the GVWR for a 1 Ton Truck...

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #13
ishie

Send a message via Yahoo to ishie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstark
Partial list:

Harley Ultra, with all weather clothing and boots
32 gal 'Blue biffy' tank.
8' aluminum step ladder
5' levelling boards
100' air hose with 'Q' connects.
100' of water hose
1 25' 50amp ext cord
2 25' 30amp ext cords
8 dogbones of various types
100' of #12 awg ext cord
4800 watt Mitsubishi Truck Parts genny on roll out drawer'
2 gal fuel for genny
2 air over hydraulic 20ton jacks in different heights
foldable lawn rake
barn broom
wheel kit and handle for genny if I want to locate it far from truck.
4 folding chairs 2 director's and 2 rockers
porter cable multi speed polisher with various attachements and polishes
sewage fittings and 30' of extra hose
complete set of tools, ratchets, sockets combo wrenches, soldering irons, spools of most AWG guages of wire, connectors, etc., etc..
30lb propane tank
2 complete sets of golfclubs on Sun Mountain foldable carts
Emergency flares, triangles and fire extinguishers (2)
various types of receiver /ball/combos in 1& 7/8ths" to 2&5/16ths"

A whole bunch more that escapes memory but all adds up to the truck weighing loaded with 200gals of fuel to over 17,600lbs without the trailer hooked to it.
ive been looking for the parts for my mitsubishi.. can you tell me on how much is the price of the drawer?

ishie is offline   Reply With Quote