Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > 5th Wheel Brand Forums > DRV | Formerly Doubletree
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
wingnut60
Site Team

Replacing the windows

Finally got around to starting on my 7 windows--elected to try the tall, narrow one on door side at rear. First step: remove the rubber gasket (this would be the glazing on an old wooden house window) that goes completely around the upper section. Had a friend push at several places from the inside and out it came, no problem. Then had to make a decision what to do about the silicone caulk left in place where the window sealed to the frame--decided to try to get it all off and it was quite a chore. Finally got where it seemed clean enough to apply the 'rope' caulk Hehr supplied all aound the frame. This is a tricky deal because it is so thin and sticky--if you ever let it touch itself, that part is useless. Will be easier as I learn to work with it. Window fit back in just fine and I replaced the gasket with the new one sent also from Hehr. Time: about 1 hour but most because I was scared to do anything fast. BUT, the window also came with the lower crank-out section and I decided to replace it also. That was a lot harder than the upper glass--even tho it comes with its own sub-frame. Big learning curve here, and I made the decision not to do any more of the crank sections til all the uppers are done. Went to the rear window on the slide (behind the recliners) and repeated the removal--easily done this time, even tho the glass is larger. Made a mistake thinking both windows on the slide are same size and chose the wrong one first and got it part-way in and had to back it out--it was too wide--and now had lots of the sticky rope caulk on it--this began to resemble a tar and feather party, but finally got it out and set aside. Redid the caulk area and put the correct window in--it seems to be slightly shorter in height than the original and there is a slight gap between the upper edge and the new gasket. Solution will be to fab some small spacers to raise the pane further off the bottom slot. There are already 3 spacers in the slot, but each needs to be about twice the thickness (height) to move the pane upwards where it sits in the slot. Total time so far, about 3 hours. My friend had to leave, so left the other replacements for later. The clear windows are really nice to look thru compared to the cloudy ones. And some good news--had a cloudburst this morning and nothing leaked.
I don't know what other windows require the frame replacement--mine are strictly the glass panes and the frames stay in the wall. If I did this for a living, could easily get one done in about 30 minutes--and the lower small crank parts are harder to get out/in than the larger glass panes only.
When I start on the next one, will take some pictures and post, if I figure that part out.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote