Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
TomLiberty

Send a message via AIM to TomLiberty Send a message via Yahoo to TomLiberty
Matching the right tow vehicle to a Lakota 33CKT

I'm a newbee to 5th wheel rigs. Owned a couple of Class A's in the late 80's. Now I am recently retired as a disabled Vietnam Veteran. I am planning to try Full Timing in a 5th wheel with a McKenzie Lakota 33CKT. GVW=14,4000 Pin=2000. I have decided on a GMC 3500 Duramax 360hp Dually 4x4 to tow with. And I plan on installing the Air Safe Hitches Model 32K.

My question is, for you pro's, have I made the right choices here?

TomLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
jdwilson3

Tom, that'll be plenty of truck. Can't comment on the hitch. We are using a PullRite Super 25K hitch. We have had and currently use the TrailAir pinbox, and Center Point suspension, also by TrailAir. I had the same hitch on my 2000 Avion, and that is why I ordered it on my 06 Doubletree.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Motor31

That should be enough truck. Check the tow ratings through Trailer life or the manufacturer. The ratings will be based on a single driver at 150 lbs and half fuel so you'll have to take into account what the reduction would be when you load the truck up to travel. Make sure you match the options including rear end to get the accurate tow rating. The 4x4 option will reduce your tow capacity a bit and also make the truck ride harsher. Are you sure you really need it?

You might want to consider an exhaust brake as well to help in slowing down. It takes more truck to stop the rig than to get it rolling down the road.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
TomLiberty

Send a message via AIM to TomLiberty Send a message via Yahoo to TomLiberty
Thanks for the feedback folks.
Since I originally posted my question I have begun to rethink the purchase of a 1-Ton Dually 4x4. Mostly because the GVW of the to truck is much less than the Lakota. I visited the local Ford dealership today and now have reconcidered going with a F550 with a Cummings 360hp, a Crew Cab and 4x4 air ride with a custom deck for the 5th wheel hitch. The GVW of the truck alone is 19,000 with 22 inch tires and well capable of the load limits. As for the 4x4 I do enjoy exploring the desert and other areas where 4x4's are permitted. And I don't care for using Chains in some of the mountain passes where I can as easily go into 4x4.
TomLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
MDTdriver

The right truck

The truck you picked should do well with the 5er of your choice. We started with a 3500 and after 3 years we changed to our MDT class 6 International 4700 GVW 23,500lbs. tow rating 30,000lbs. our 5er is 16,000 lbs. and after 5 years we still love our truck. Good luck and Happy Travels.

Larry & Kathy plus Meeko who loves 32deg temp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clip1_266.jpg (48.0 KB, 15 views)
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote