Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
boondocker

Nu-Finish

I just used a product called nu-finish to wax the exterior of my 5thwheel. Its a poly based product instead of wax so it went on much easier and came off ALOT easier. Also seems to las a bit longer.
I found it at wally world in an orange bottle.
Just passing on a tip

boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
GWMAYES

Yep, been using NuFinish for years. Sure goes on easy.

However, I'm not crazy about it on the front end of the FW. My last trip back from Colorado the front of the FW got really plastered with bugs. Getting them off this particular time was rather arduous. Based upon other's recommendations I used a couple of those fabric softener sheets (the ones that go in the dryer). Between detergents and these scrubbers I believe I ended up stripping ALL that NuFinish off of there as well as the bugs.

I'm thinking maybe some sort of liguid Silicone might work better on those front ends???

Any suggestions?

George in Albuquerque

Old 05-10-2005, 11:04 PM   #3
ruralcruiser

I have talked with the attendants at gas stations, and what i have heard for romoval of bugs from windshields is Tide(laundry soap) mixed in the water with the use of the window squeegy. Seems to work pretty good and a general amount of elbow grease. NuFinish has been around for years and really seems to work.
ruralcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:05 AM   #4
No Tow

I put Nu-Finish on my rig in Dec when it was brand new. Easy on and easy off as mentioned. Water still beads up on the side......when the hose is not tight enough
#15 Nascar Fans
No Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:20 PM   #5
BobT

Hi y'all,

For 3 years now we have used the following method to remove bugs, tar, black streaks etc. from our rig, when ever it gets dirty. When we finish a trip or are going to settle in one area for a week or more, we take the truck and trailer through a "truck wash" before we park it!!!

These outfits are used to HDTs coming in with all kinds of crude on them. We caution the workers before they start, to keep the high pressure wands at least 3' away from the decals and windows. We also always have them spray on a wax coating when they are through. Occasionally, we have the engine cleaned also. They get to many places we can't.

We have found this method is very satisfying. It really makes the rig shine and seems to protect the finish. It is also comparitvely quick, about 30 minutes from start to finish. [ It used to take 2 of us about 3 hours to so the same job.] The cost for our rig, [Kenworth semi-tractor with 40' trailer] usually runs $60 - $70.

I am approaching 70 years of age, and value my time, strength and safety above the cost of this service. They scrub the trailer's roof and the top of our truck. [13 feet 2 inches] also.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
bstark

I second the vote for the commercial truck washes. While we were still working we spent a few weeks south every winter but it meant leaving Canada in the snow & muck and returning in the same. We were too embarrassed to show up at a park with the rig in that state so we hit the Blue Beacon truck washes and were amazed at the services available with sometimes 6 people working to clean all the crud from the rig. I learned one negative thing tho': don't let them use the aluminum "brightener" on wheels or checker plate, it looks nice at first but it is very corrosive and will cause aluminum to form a white powder efflorescence. Suggest they use their "citrus-shine" instead and you have a lot less metal polishing to do later.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
tsmith

You may want to consider Rejex. I have been very impressed with this product on vehicles. The TT is next.

[urhttp://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html]

Todd[/url]
tsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
metzgesr3jjl

I use straight Simple Green, let it soak and wash it with a medium bristle wand/brush hooked to a garden hose. Works great! I usually let the Simple Green work for about 20-30 minutes. it's cheap and saves elbow grease. Works great on road grime, bugs, etc. Cleans the tires well too! For the front of my trailer and vehicle I apply liberal amounts of Rain-X and it works good as a preventative.

metzgesr3jjl is offline   Reply With Quote