Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
OCB

Morryde IS adjustment

I'm looking at raising the Sear Spring to the top hole (one inch) on the mounting bracket. This would lower the trailer one of two inches desired. The axles are 8K.

My question is; Does the Torque Arm apply downward force when Shear Spring bolts are removed from Hanger ass'y. Are there other problems I could find. Presently the RV is on blocks ready for a wheel bearing repack.

When I ordered the 2016 MS 38PS9, I had a Ford Dually so a 2 inch rise was installed on the RV. Now I have a M-2 Sports Chassis and always wanted to raise the Truck hitch an extra two inches. I didn't like the options.

Clay

OCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
porkchop

No it does not apply downward force other than gravity dropping the weight. Fairly easy job. Good luck.

Bill

porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:37 AM   #3
anijet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCB View Post
................... Does the Torque Arm apply downward force when Shear Spring bolts are removed from Hanger ass'y..................
Clay

I've been thinking about going the other way, raising the trailer, but haven't done it yet.

I think the only force will be the weight of the arm/brake/wheel/tire hanging on the arm. You said it was on blocks so I assume all trailer weight is removed and supported by the blocks. I think in this position the rubber spring is relaxed unless there is a stop preventing the arm from moving all the way down but I don't think there is.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
porthole

Raise the trailer and remove the bolts. Have a floor jack under the beam to help line up the holes. The Shear spring will have a "set" from being in the the proper position and used, so lining up the holes may go easily. If not you may have to install one bolt and use the jack to rotate the spring into position.
2020 F-450
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:20 PM   #5
OCB

With no downward pressure on the Torque Arm saves a lot of hassle of keeping any unwanted movement under control.
Will check with Morryde how much torque was applied to the 4 bolts as I may buy new bolts. Appear to be 3/8 Maybe 7/16 with course treads 1 inch long Grade 8.
Looking down the road the hardest problem I could have raising the tires the extra inch. I hope I can rake up a little gravel.
Thanks for sharing for your knowledge. I'm waiting for some Kodiak parts shorted on the original delivery This part of the project I should start tomorrow pending Morryde's response.
Clay
Old 08-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #6
OCB

I finished this little project with one surprise. After removing the 4 bolts (most came out easy), I used a small hyd jack to raise the Shear Spring. Of course the Torque Arm moves in a circular so all the holes do not Match. Extra tools used two punches, ply bar and a web strap to pull.
I would have like to have had was my 9 year old grandson for the crawling under.
Next cooler weather the Hub/Rotors will go on,
No hurry and Medical opportunities have us scheduled till nearly Nov ( Dentist appt start in Nov) Isn't old age and Covid-19 fun.

Clay
Old 12-05-2021, 11:20 AM   #7
Bobplouhar0@gmail.com

I raised my 2004 36re just as you said my rubber shear springs were shot I ended up with a 5” lift that was how bad the shear springs were the replacement springs are #10 grade rubber originals were #8 worked out great

Bobplouhar0@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote