Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #1
Begger

This is Just Crazy...

My wife and I traded our Jayco Eagle for a previously owned Mobile Suites back in September. The PDI was very thorough, and the coach had a few things that needed to be worked off prior to our taking delivery. These issues were addressed to our full satisfaction.

First weekend trip out ice maker in the fridge wouldn't work. After we got home, back to the dealer for repair work. Everything now ready for second trip. It's November now and getting cold. Fireplace started smoking as soon as DW turned it on. Plus refrigerator wouldn't stay on. After we get back home it's back to the dealer. Replaced fireplace and repaired fridge. (By the way, new fireplaces don't put out near as much heat as the old ones did.) When we get it home this time we notice a little water leak in the back of the living room. The morning I'm taking it back to the dealer again, I notice water leaking from roof panels thoroughout the coach. Back to dealer again.

Up to this point, over half of the repairs had been covered by an extended warranty we bought when we bought the trailer. (Thank heavens!) The trailer had apparently been sitting for a couple years without being used prior to our buying it.

The water leaking from the roof panels came from a broken bathroom vent, and was made worse by a moderate rain. The vent was probably broken by any one of several low hanging tree limbs on the little country road leading back to our house. Found out today insurance will cover all the water damage, which came out to a little over $11,000. That's new roof insulation, ceiling panels, carpet, etc.

We have a trip planned to San Antonio for April. Hopefully the coach will be fully repaired and we can finally take a trip without something major failing.

I must give a shout out to Mark Dempsey and the guys at Wheels RV in Tontitown AR. They have been very accommodating getting the coach in and out, as well as doing quality repair work. They have done a great job and I can highly recommend them.

I've always loved the Mobile Suites, and think they're some of the best 5ver's on the road. I'll be glad when we get the kinks worked out of this one.

2007 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3520
"Waitin' for someday..."
Begger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:11 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Welcome to the 'used DRV/Doubletree Owners Group' We have had our '05 since '07 and it has been good to us. But now at Rolling Retreats for prep for repeat trip to Alaska this June.
I think it is fantastic that you had purchased the extended warranty and---it paid off for you. Do you mind telling us what company you got it from? Many of these type warranties are designed to deny claims, and the forums need to know who the good guys are.
Have heard good things about Wheels--friends of ours bought a Sunnybrook TT from them years ago, and they were great for service.
Also good that you are reasonably close to Tontitown (who names their town like this?)
to get service.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:22 AM   #3
Chandler

We have an older model also. I think you are really going to like the Mobile Suites, especially when you get the bugs worked out. It is a very good quality built fifth wheel that will last you for many years. Happy camping!
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #4
Begger

We bought the Platinum level extended service coverage from Protective Assets when we bought the trailer. It was the only coverage the dealership would sell and I'm sure they get a nice kick-back from it. I asked the shop about the coverage before we pulled the trigger, and Mark (Shop Manager) said the coverage was very good, and easy for them to work with. We also get a cheaper labor rate and reduced deductible for work done in the dealer's shop. So far that's been a no-brainier, as the only other decent sized shop in the area is Camping World 😬.

Our RV insurance is tied in with auto and home insurance with Allstate. Very reasonable rates, and as we've just found out, excellent coverage with $0 deductible. We had looked at coverage from Good Sam Club, but just couldn't make the numbers work in our favor.

Insurance coverage is very state-specific, but these work well here in Arkansas.

Wingnut, thanks for the encouragement. I lurk on these boards every few days and have gotten a wealth of information. Thank you to those of you who keep this part of this board alive.

BTW, planning a week in San Antonio in April. Any suggestions on a nice CG or RV park in that area?
"Waitin' for someday..."
Old 01-21-2016, 05:05 PM   #5
wingnut60
Site Team

In SAT proper, we have only stayed at the park near SeaWorld--any other time in the area, we stay in Kerrville/Fredericksburg. Someone else will have more info on this, and also check out www.campgroundreviews.com for some parks and opinions.
And thanks for the info on the warranty, I'll take a look at it.
Joe
Old 01-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #6
Bugcatcher

Blazing Star on 1604 is a very nice park. Very clean and well maintained.
Tracy
Bugcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #7
anijet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begger View Post
BTW, planning a week in San Antonio in April. Any suggestions on a nice CG or RV park in that area?
We stayed at the Admiralty RV Resort twice and really liked it. It's just outside of the city which was just right for us.

https://www.admiraltyrvresort.com/
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #8
wingnut60
Site Team

Begger,
Check out this link on complaints about Protective Asset warranty coverage...
Joe

http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...n-c236278.html

Also:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Advant...hey-jus-886603
Old 01-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #9
Begger

Sorry Joe. You asked what extended service contract I had. I told you and told you I have been very pleased with it so far. I suspect it makes some difference who the dealer is and what their relationship to the warranty agent might be. It has worked very well for me. Your mileage may vary.

I've been pretty happy with my Ford F-350 too, but you can find whole web sites dedicated to explaining what a terrible vehicle they are.
"Waitin' for someday..."
Old 01-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #10
wingnut60
Site Team

Begger,
Sorry for my presumption you would have problems with the warranty--guess they are like everything else on the forums, you only hear from the people who aren't happy. And, most of the complaints are due to not following procedures outlined in the paperwork. I would have one on my '05, but so far haven't found one that isn't too pricey for my old unit.
Joe
Old 03-28-2016, 08:13 AM   #11
Begger

Update

Wanted to update on the resolution of our water issues, particularly after hearing other stories about water damage.

After an insurance claim with Alstate for over $11,000, we now have a new bathroom roof vent, all new ceiling insulation, ceiling panels, new carpet of a superior grade than previously installed, and a new living room TV. Also replaced one of the control boards in the Dometic fridge. Our 07 model smells like a new trailer and looks great inside as well. Can't say enough about Mark Kersey and the crew at Wheels RV regarding their work.

While the interior of the roof was exposed, everything was inspected for current or previous water damage. No sign of previous water damage was found. DRV may have some issue with roofs leaking, but outside of a broken bathroom vent, ours is not one of them.

Only less than positive issue was the fireplace was also replaced, not due to water damage but just quit working. Extended warranty bought a new one. The new fireplace doesn't have near the heat output of the old one. Might be looking at upgrading that one of these days.

Heading to San Antone in a couple of weeks and can't wait.
"Waitin' for someday..."
Old 03-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #12
wingnut60
Site Team

Ought to have a solid unit now...congratulations.