Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2008, 02:35 AM   #1
BigBoy2U

Roof Vents and Odor

I recently have had a bad black tank smell in my bathroom. I replaced the toilet a couple months ago and replaced the O ring also. The smell started and is really bad when it hot out. If I use the fans to pull air out of the unit I can fill the rig with the smell of the black tank. So I thought I would get up on the roof and check the vent(s). The first one I suspected was the one near the bathroom. I removed the cover to find it full of wasps. Killed them and removed the nest. But the pipe was still blocked I was shocked as I was sure I just cured my problem. I removed insulation. Then the ABS pipe just slipped out and I realized it was just vented into the attic. So this must be the vent for the bathroom fan. I replaced it and put a nice fiberglass screen glued to the top of the pipe to keep bee's out. So then I check the next closest vent and it really has no smell so I figure it must be the gray tank vent. But then I notice that way over by the passenger front near the closet area is another vent. I go check it and its also has a nice big wasp nest in it. So I kill and remove that. Only to find insulation again. I remove the ABS pipe and it only goes into the attic? What is this pipe for?

I then check what I thought was the gray tank vent. It was clear. I took a hose and ran water down it and had water coming out of both the black and gray tanks. Is there only one vent for both tanks?

Short of the O ring slipping up the toilet on install (Concerto) what else can cause that black tank stink? I don't have the smell in the basement and it only seems to be in the bathroom. 2005- 36TK3

2005 DT, MS 36CK3 #1566, 95 F-350, Full Timer
BigBoy2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
sr

I have had a smell as well and been chasing it for over a year tring to find out where it came from and finally narrowed it down to coming from the basement. I was able to close the entire trailer up and opened the sliding doors that go to the tanks and furnace etc. The smell was pretty heavy. I then went into the trailer and I determined the smell was getting into the trailer via the cold air return and the sliding door that goes between the bedroom and the kitchen. (It also acts as the cold air return). I called DRV and I am taking it to Interstate RV near Howe next week for them to fix the problem. What I think has happen is the vent pipe has come loose from the tanks and allowing the odor to escape into the basement and then into the unit. When I smelled the odor, I would turn on the exaust fan in the bathroom and that just made it worse. I have kept the doors open to the basement and the odor went away. That pretty much makes it coming from the tank area in the basement. I'll let you know what they find next week when I take it in.

2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
BigBoy2U

OK thanks, I can't seem to smell it in the basement. I checked the cold air return and even with the fantastic fan on and I can feel air coming in from the basement (nothing beats that kind of dirty musty smell) I can not smell it. But if I leave the bathroom window closed and turn on the bathroom exhaust fan or the fantastic fan it stinks. But only in hot weather...LOL

I am pretty sure I need to pull the toilet and check the O ring. I just can't believe a poor seal at that point would make that much smell.

The odd part was when I was on the roof the roof vent had no odor at all. It was in the high 80's that day and the bathroom was stinking but the roof vent had no smell.

I even emptied the black tank thinking the pipe might have slipped down and still no smell.

On my last trailer the roof vent always smelled like a sewage plant.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
BobW

Last year I took the bath fan out because it made noise. I found that the fan exhausted to nowhere. There was only insulation and nothing exhausted to the outside. I pulled some of the insulation out and discovered that there was a exit to the outside.
Also last week I noticed that the toilet rocked and there was water on the floor. I pulled the toilet out and found the seal was rotten. This toilet is only a year old.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
BigBoy2U

Well I have heard about the exhaust fan not going to anywhere before. But what really bothers me is that I am a general contractor and the fact you have an open space that would have colder air in the winter and then blow hot air into it will create moisture. Even with the so called vent it will condense on a cold surface much like a cold glass of water does. I am lost as to why DRV would want to push warm air into the dead space above the ceiling. You are only asking for a lot of mold over time.

When I pulled the ABS vent out of the roof it was just stuffed into the insulation. I have been reluctant to clean out the bathroom fan for the reason listed above.

You never blow warm air from a heated space into a cold attic.

Still no one an any Suites Owners group seems to talk about the vent in the roof that is over the bedroom on the passenger side.

Anyone have an idea why this is located there? And what is it's purpose?

If it wasn't for the fact both vents that go into the attic where stuffed into the insulation I would have a trailer full of wasps and a huge nest. Just stuffing a pipe into the insulation and not putting any cover over it to prevent insects from getting in a totally irresponsible.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
sr

Is there a way to attach the exhaust fan to the Vent? I would think that is how it should work?
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 08-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #7
bstark

I first posted on this issue way back in 05 I believe. My cure was to cut a plastic container that distilled water came in to fit as a duct which served to hold the fiberglass batting out of the way and also to direct the air from the fan staight to and only to that vent.

The other vent mentioned above the bedroom on the passenger side of the trailer may be the housing for the wind sensor for the automatic awning control ? ? ?
Old 08-11-2008, 01:41 AM   #8
BigBoy2U

No the wind sensor is located on the passenger side near the front corner. This vent is on the drivers side in about the same area. It is installed just like the bathroom fan vent.

Typical construction methods dictate that when you have warm air enter a cold space like the attic area that warm air needs to direct vent to the roof vent and with an insulated hose to prevent condinsation from forming on the hose.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
bstark

While RV manufacture's try to emulate most visible aspects of sticks and bricks amenities, that attic venting with it's condensarion concerns is just one aspect that gets ignored because it's not visible unless you had cause to go digging up there & discover it by accident.

Another item that may make you cringe is to take a close look down from the roof through the skylight over your shower and observe the method by which they have provided framing/trim between the inner and outer skylight with it's attendant condensation concerns.

Would it really cost that much more for Dometic to provide side wall vent covers that have some form of mesh screening on their inner sides to prevent wasps and other critters from entering our trailers via those large openings and ditto for those roof vents.? I could go on and on with this, but it has more to do with the buyer education and per-unit cost "out-the-door" for shareholder return.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
BobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy2U
Still no one an any Suites Owners group seems to talk about the vent in the roof that is over the bedroom on the passenger side.
Anyone have an idea why this is located there? And what is it's purpose?
I think it's there to vent the battery compartment. Not sure.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
sr

Bruce, I removed my fan and sure enough the vent was above the insullation and the fan vented into the plenum. I removed the insullation around the vent. I then purchased some flexible 1 1/4" plastic hose and cut it to approximatly 10 inches and stuck it inside the plastic pvc pipe/vent. I then used your idea to put a plastic bottle the size of the fan opening and taped it to the fan. The mouth of the bottle fit exactly inside the flexible tubing. I then re-installed the fan, Turned it on and went to the roof and felt a good flow of air coming out. One problem I had was that the vent came down right above the air conditioner ducting. I had to smash the duct a little to get the hose inside the vent.There also is another vent that is about 3 feet away from the other vent. I took the top cap off and it also vents into the plenum above the insullation. I think I will call DRV and ask Kent how the vents are supposed to work and see what their thoughts are.

Thanks for the insight. My exhaust should be much better. Now that we have a better understanding how the venting works it will be curious to see if there is a condinsation issue going forward.
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 08-11-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
retiredchuck

:x I had a smell coming from the outside of the bathroom door and the door to the washer, on my 36ck3, Turn out to come from the drain pipe that you hook up your drain tube from your washer.It smelled awful,I pour some of that stuff for the gray tank.and it got better.Is this normal for oders to come from this pipe in the closet??
retiredchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #13
bstark

On my trailer with washer installed that hose is sealed around the top of that drain tower and the other part of that system is a springloaded vent valve that sloows air to enter the pipe to assist effecient drainage from the washer but not allow anything, including gases, to exit that vent.

If you do not have a washer installed in that drain pipe and are not using it, you could very easily plug it with some thing to prevent fumes. It is not required to be left open for venting purposes.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #14
BigBoy2U

On the 36TK3 the W/D is located as a stacked unit next to the bathroom
Old 08-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #15
sr

I think I found my problem. As Bruce stated there is a vent pipe for the washer behind the closet in the storage area. The vent was not screwed in very far. Just a couple of threads. When I took the cap off to check the seal the odor came out. Much the same smell as I was woking on. I screwed the cap as far as I could and closed all the doors. I will see if there is an odor in the morning. If there is no odor or if there is an odor, I will cap off that vent as I donot have a washer at this time. There could be a bad seal. This could be the problem in all the past post. I will keep all informed.
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 08-12-2008, 12:51 AM   #16
RodeWorthy

Gray water odour in w/d closet

When I detect gray water odour in W/D closet it is an indication my tanks need emptying. I have tried placing a heavy plastic bag secured with a heavy duty elastic over the standpipe cap but it did not make any difference.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:57 AM   #17
RodeWorthy

Roof vent at front on street side routes solar prep cables

The roof vent on the front street side routes my solar cables from the battery compartment to the roof. Mine are custom but it may well be the standard #10 solar prep wire pair is coiled under there too.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:53 AM   #18
BigBoy2U

But for those of us that use the W/D the P-trap is full of water and have no smell from the W/D area.

Anyone know what the vent on drivers front goes to yet? Its not for my W/D mine are not located in the front closet.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #19
sr

I think I have my odor problem fixed. I closed up the trailer last night and opened the sliding doors in the storage area and no odors at all. So I will monitor the next few days and see how it goes. The air valve on the washer drain seemed to be the culprit.
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Old 08-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #20
Diesel-Gypsy

SR, I have the same vent in my little W/D room, I simply put a zip-lock baggie over that vent, and sealed the zip-lock baggie to the vent stack pipe with a HD elastic band.
No more evil-odors escaping there.

Rick