Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2022, 06:29 AM   #1
Mark2068

Bed cover for 2022 F350 8" when NOT towing

I have a 2022 F350 8' bed (OEM Suspension) and am shopping for bed covers to enclose the bed when not towing. I will be using a B&W Companion hitch when towing and will be installing the underbed B&W hitch.

My concern is, will the tongue (or whatever it is called on the trailer) hit the rails of the installed bed cover when making sharp turns? Or will it swing above it assuming I have the proper height above the truck bed rails?

I only want a rolling or retractable bed cover. I do not want the flip style.

Mark2068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:15 AM   #2
CaptainPalapa

We have a Switchblade cover. It retracts like a Venetian blind. Well, you have a strap you use to pull it closed, and then pull it back open again. It goes right over the top of our king pin receiver. The fifth wheel bedroom body goes over the top of the bed frame, never touching the rails.

Here is an example:
https://tonneaucoversworld.com/p/pac...tonneau-cover/

Old 08-08-2022, 04:28 PM   #3
Dave The AV Guy

Most covers I am familiar with have rails that sit only a little above the top of the box sides, so in turning you should still have several inches to spare between the underside of the 5th wheel and the top of the pick up box sides. I have a 2016 Ram 3500 dually with 8 foot box and use the BakFlip brand, but I forget the model. I have no problem with that clearance. The BakFlip folds in four sections, so you have that height extra at the front of the box, but only for the first couple feet of the box. On very sharp turns it can look like it's going to hit the underside of the trailer (according to my wife), and it may come close, but we've yet to have an issue.
Dave The AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:16 PM   #4
Pacowood

I have a 2022 F350 DRW and the B&W hitch. I installed a ReTrax Pro sliding cover that can be locked at any position and am very happy with it.

Frank
Pacowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:29 PM   #5
freestyle freddy

I've had 2 F350s & used Extang Revolutions on both. The cover rail only sticks up about 1/4" above the bed rail. If your rv were to brush the top of the bed rail, the rv will likely be at a sharp angle, compared to the truck, & the underside edge of the 5th wheel will contact the outer edge of the bed rail. The tonneau cover rail sits on the inside edge of the bed rail & shouldn't be affected, unless you seriously crunch the bed rail. I have twice lightly scraped the bed rail, & in both cases, it did not touch the tonneau cover rail. The cover completely comes off the truck easily also. I have both a 5th wheel & a triple slide truck camper. I have to remove the cover when using the truck camper, & I roll it up & hang it under one of the bed rails. Then, if we stop somewhere for an extended time, & remove the camper, I can put the cover back on & have a covered bed.
freestyle freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:20 PM   #6
will.bishop5@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPalapa View Post
We have a Switchblade cover. It retracts like a Venetian blind. Well, you have a strap you use to pull it closed, and then pull it back open again. It goes right over the top of our king pin receiver. The fifth wheel bedroom body goes over the top of the bed frame, never touching the rails.

Here is an example:
https://tonneaucoversworld.com/p/pac...tonneau-cover/
X2 for the Switchblade cover. Had mine for 5 years and it is great. It clears my 5th wheel hitch just fine when not towing.

will.bishop5@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote