Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2022, 05:39 PM   #1
Mark2068

Looking for bed cover recommendations

truck is a 2022 F350, 8' bed. Going to be using the B&W Companion hitch. My concern is the king pin hitch of a fifth wheel hitting the side rails of the cover. I would prefer a retractable cover as I don't want to block any of the rear window. Any have a setup similar? What cover do you have and what do you like or dislike about it?
Mark2068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:07 PM   #2
Cummins12V98

Your concern is legit. Get a quality bed height tool box like a Highway Products 30" front to back and bed height model.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:07 PM   #3
4happyfeet

I had the same concerns. I went with a Bak Flip, four folding sections. Extremely happy with it. Clears my Companion by about an inch. You can fold it all the way up to the window, but not necessary. When you leave the last section in place, there are two quick-release straps that hold the folded sections flat. Plenty of visibility. When we get to campground, close it all up for security. When tailgate is locked, so is Bak Flip. Problem with rolling covers is that the cassette it rolls up into takes up a lot of bed space.
2021 Ram 3500 HO DRW
4happyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 04:31 PM   #4
Corm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4happyfeet View Post
I had the same concerns. I went with a Bak Flip, four folding sections. Extremely happy with it. Clears my Companion by about an inch. You can fold it all the way up to the window, but not necessary. When you leave the last section in place, there are two quick-release straps that hold the folded sections flat. Plenty of visibility. When we get to campground, close it all up for security. When tailgate is locked, so is Bak Flip. Problem with rolling covers is that the cassette it rolls up into takes up a lot of bed space.
I also went with a Back Flip on my 2019 F350 with a 6.5 foot box. Very happy with it.
Corm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:28 PM   #5
OlympicFox

We went the Truxedo Deuce Tonneau Cover.

In addition to the 5th wheel hitch, we also have a 50-gallon fuel tank and a tool box. So, we needed a cover that both cleared everything needed very little space between the fuel tank and front wall of the bed.

It is a soft cover that rolls up, but also has a sweet feature that makes it superior for us - press a small release lever, and the front third of the cover flips back for instant access to the fuel tank when the bed is covered.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Truxedo's service. We purchased this tonneau in May 2010. When we bought our new 2019 Ram, we had an issue with the tonneau rails fitting the new Gen 4.5 bed. Tuxedo not only sent us new Velcro strips to fit the new truck, they sent us a brand new cover, too.
OlympicFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:20 PM   #6
Dave O

When, we traded 5ers I wanted to maximize my bed rail clearance. (Had issues with previous rig and our F250). We got the BAK revolver which sits flush and love it.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:33 AM   #7
Primo Rudy's Roadhouse

agree with ealier response

Have the same truck. I went with a soft roll up cover, for the price. Decided on the Truxedo Duece so I can access the in bed undercover tool box. Some don't like the soft cover for security reasons. Anything valuable is locked in the tool box. It easily rolls up for access to fifthwheel hitch and closes neatly for when hitch is not in use. Keeps the bed mostly dry
Lots of Wiener dogs and some otheres
Primo Rudy's Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:04 AM   #8
BruceinDFW

I have a 2019 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed and a B&W Companion hitch. I went with the Retrax cover. I had a BakFlip on my last truck. I like the Retrax better than the BakFlip - except that the Retrax does not keep out water. It lets a little water in during hard rains. Other than that, it takes up less space than the BakFlip and does not cover the back window when fully open. Yes, the cassette does take a little space at the front of the bed, but not that much - and again - I would rather give up that space than have the BakFlip tilted up covering the window or the front quarter of the bed - and stacked up several inches in front of my rear window opening.
BruceinDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:59 PM   #9
will.bishop5@gmail.com

I have had the Pace Edwards Switchblade cover on my F250 for over 5 years and am very happy with it. It's not the cheapest cover, but is is very secure (vinyl covered aluminum panels) and durable. And to open it, just push on it and it slides, and a strap to pull it shut. Plus it is not too difficult to remove the canister to clear out the bed. It sits about level with the top of the bed and clears my 5th wheel hitch well.

https://paceedwardsdirect.com/p/pace...tonneau-cover/
will.bishop5@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote