Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
Dean

Diesel Exhaust Fluid

I've put a combined 300,000 miles on my previous two Duramax trucks; an '02 and an '09. Neither had DEF systems. My '17 Duramax of course has DEF and I'm looking for advice...are some brands better than others? ...any other tips/tricks - for instance is there a good way to refill the DEF on the '17 Duramax without spilling it in the engine compartment?

Thanks,
Dean

Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:59 PM   #2
Joezilla

DEF is DEF. Really the only thing to look for is the date on the label on the bottle. DEF does have a shelf life.

I've used Blue Peak, the cheaper Walmart brand, some more expensive stuff from Auto Zone, the Buccee's variety, plus several fill ups from various truck stops with a nozzle at the fuel dispenser. Not a problem with any.

Just buy it fresh. Don't keep a gallon in the bed of your truck unless you are sure you are going to use it pretty quickly. When I am towing our MS Atlanta, I will go through at least a gallon a day.

Joe

Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
Mike2338

A gallon a day? I never have used that much. Even towing in the Rockies.
I have a 2011 F450. I have found DEF at Home Depot to be pretty reasonable pricing. I will fill up at truckstop pumps also.
Mike2338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
anijet

DEF usage is about 1-1.2 gallons to every 100 gallons of fuel used. To use a gallon a day would be a long hard day of driving. I ran Blue until my local Walmart started to carry their own brand. It works just fine and is cheaper. The flex spout works ok to fill. I usually put old rags around the fill just in case. If you do spill, just flush the area with water.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #5
Dapperdan

I agree, DEF is DEF, I to fill my DEF tank at a truck stop that sells bulk DEF. When filling the truck I have a Blue Peak container I saved and refill that too when on trips so when I'm low I don't necessarily "have" to go to a truck stop.

I'm not real wild about stopping at truck stops only because some drivers are slobs and spill diesel right where you need to stand to fuel, then yours shoes smell like diesel for the next few days, NOT good.

Dan
Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
Buckshot

I bought my first gallon from GM and the spout was too short and came off the jug very easily. Made a mess.

Second time I filled up at a truck stop. The nozzle was very tight in the tube and I could not tell when it was nearly full and it overfilled with a big splash. Made a bigger mess.

Next time used Blue DEF and the spout was long enough and strong enough to do the job.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #7
Joezilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2338 View Post
A gallon a day? I never have used that much. Even towing in the Rockies.
I have a 2011 F450. I have found DEF at Home Depot to be pretty reasonable pricing. I will fill up at truckstop pumps also.
Well, I may have overstated my usage. Sorry about that. We don't tow very often and we last towed the day after Christmas. I guess I am getting old. I'll refrain from such statements in the future.

Joe
Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #8
stanleyz

Here's an interesting tidbit to file away. If you ever find yourself in dire straights where the computer has shut you down because you have no DEF, you can "fool" the computer for a while by putting water in the DEF tank. Don't know how long it will run before the sensors shut you down because the NOX is high but in a pinch that might get you to a fuel stop or at least off the highway.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:01 PM   #9
Cummins12V98

Probably will work but then you may cause a warranty issue!
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #10
anijet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyz View Post
Here's an interesting tidbit to file away. If you ever find yourself in dire straights where the computer has shut you down because you have no DEF, you can "fool" the computer for a while by putting water in the DEF tank. Don't know how long it will run before the sensors shut you down because the NOX is high but in a pinch that might get you to a fuel stop or at least off the highway.
Not sure what brand truck you are referring to but if you do that in a GM it will not extend the time before limp mode and cost a great deal to have repaired at your expense warranty or not. Do not do this. You will be sorry. I can't speak to the Ford or Dodge.

anijet is offline   Reply With Quote