Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2021, 05:40 AM   #1
bjogan

Hitch Clearance

We are picking up our new 2020 MS 36RKSB in a couple of weeks. I've seen some chatter about clearance issues with the newer trucks. LCI has complained that the 2020 model trucks have changed their bed depths? I saw a video about this with an F450 and a Full House; however, I believe it was more a plug for GEN-Y than a real issue.

Anyone run into issues with a new truck and clearances?

2020 GMC 3500 DRW Denali
Mobile Suites 2020 36RKSB with MoRyde Pin Box
BW Champion OEM Hitch

Thank you

bjogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:22 AM   #2
TheJeep

When we bought our 5th wheel 6 months ago and I was worried about this. We have a 2020 DRV 41 RKSB4. It has 2" risers installed on the 5th wheel. Our truck is a 2020 F450 and we use a B&W Companion Hitch (Ford puck system). So far we have not had a problem. The rear of the pinbox does come very close to the top of the bed rail on very tight turns. When I say tight turns I mean outside of normal driving. I can get my truck to almost 90 deg before it gets to close for comfort.

I saw the video you were talking about and he had a bed cover on his bed that added to the problem.

TheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:51 AM   #3
bjogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep View Post
When we bought our 5th wheel 6 months ago and I was worried about this. We have a 2020 DRV 41 RKSB4. It has 2" risers installed on the 5th wheel. Our truck is a 2020 F450 and we use a B&W Companion Hitch (Ford puck system). So far we have not had a problem. The rear of the pinbox does come very close to the top of the bed rail on very tight turns. When I say tight turns I mean outside of normal driving. I can get my truck to almost 90 deg before it gets to close for comfort.

I saw the video you were talking about and he had a bed cover on his bed that added to the problem.
I too have a bed cover - we'll see how that goes. Since your F450 is a 2020 then I'm assuming your hitch height is 19" same as mine? I'm not sure what the rail height is on the F450. Mine is a little over 21".

2" Risers? Do you mean you have a lift kit on the axles?

Bryon
Old 01-12-2021, 07:44 AM   #4
TheJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjogan View Post
I too have a bed cover - we'll see how that goes. Since your F450 is a 2020 then I'm assuming your hitch height is 19" same as mine? I'm not sure what the rail height is on the F450. Mine is a little over 21".

2" Risers? Do you mean you have a lift kit on the axles?

Bryon
When my 5th wheel was built a metal tube was added between the suspension and frame to give it a 2" increase in height. If I remember right my bed inside height was 20 and 1/2 inches and 63 inches from left to right. The hitch height is approx 18 to 19 inches. When hookedup to the trailer I have 6 1/2" of clearance from the bedrail to the 5th wheel.

I talked to as many people as I could about this before buying ours and never got a 100% answer. There are just to many variables between trailers and trucks. Unfortunately you really won't know until you hookup to your 5th wheel if you have a clearance problem.
TheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:46 PM   #5
porthole

Quote:
Since your F450 is a 2020
The 2020 F-450 is slightly lowered in the rear so not as a good comparison as prior years. But it is still close even without any type of bed cover rails.
2020 F-450
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:35 PM   #6
Roam America

My rig has 2” risers. Wish it had 3”. I have my 6” of clearance but tight turns on uneven terrain it has rubbed the side rail. No clue why truck manufacturers did that, other than to cause indigestion for owners.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:43 PM   #7
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roam America View Post
My rig has 2” risers. Wish it had 3”. I have my 6” of clearance but tight turns on uneven terrain it has rubbed the side rail. No clue why truck manufacturers did that, other than to cause indigestion for owners.
Unfortunately, the pickups are not made for the average RV'er, made for the work crowd that want/need the bed capacity.

My new truck is a bit lower, but the uneven terrain thing is still an issue.

3" would be better. I ordered ours before the 2" riser was standard, $200 option at the time. And DRV would not allow the order to be 3".

If you don't know it, you can lower the IS shear springs 1", pushing the trailer up 1".

The bolt holes are already in the mounting plate.
2020 F-450
Old 01-14-2021, 01:33 PM   #8
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roam America View Post
Reality is if you raised the RV 1" at the wheels the gap at the bed will only increase around 1/8". Raise hitch or lower pinbox.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:59 PM   #9
Notanlines

Cummins, "will only increase around 1/8"' try to tell the average RV'er what you said, or that 1000# of bike in the garage only takes about 100# off the pin....I have tried both until I'm blue in the face.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:56 AM   #10
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Cummins, "will only increase around 1/8"' try to tell the average RV'er what you said, or that 1000# of bike in the garage only takes about 100# off the pin....I have tried both until I'm blue in the face.
You made me laugh!!!

Old 01-18-2021, 09:39 PM   #11
DRVELITE

I have a 2020 Ram 3500 and a 2018 DRV Elite Suite 39DRBS3 and I had clearance issues and also purchased the GenY Hitch.
DRVELITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:58 AM   #12
ford truck guy11

my 2020 Ford is 2" lower in the rear than my 2015 was..
ford truck guy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:50 AM   #13
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRVELITE View Post
I have a 2020 Ram 3500 and a 2018 DRV Elite Suite 39DRBS3 and I had clearance issues and also purchased the GenY Hitch.
Curious what clearance issues and with what equipment?

Old 02-25-2021, 07:32 AM   #14
bjogan

Finally picked up the 36RKSB in the freezing rain in AR - headed southeast as fast as I could! Just terrible weather for many.

Turned out I had plenty of clearance to the bed rails. That said, I did find one problem and that is with the "wings" on the MORryde pin box. The flange on the outside plate "wing" caught my cargo cover rail on a very sharp turn. Fortunately it also pulled the breakaway cable so I ended up with very little damage to the cargo cover rail.

I called MORryde to discuss and told me that some have been cutting off the flange. they also did not recommend or suggest this, they were just acknowledging that it is a problem for some. I was not keen on this as the flange does provide some stiffness to the "wing." However, I did cut off the trailing corner of the flange on a 45 degree angle. This should eliminate the flange getting under the rail and still leave plenty of stiffness in the wing.

I plan to stop in at MORryde this summer to review further. It just seems that they should build in a bit more flexibility into these systems. For example, I was going to raise the pin box one hole, but the hole pattern in the wing would have prevented me from using the required three bolts in the front column of bolt holes.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #15
porthole

Quote:
Finally picked up the 36RKSB in the freezing rain in AR - headed southeast as fast as I could! Just terrible weather for many.

Turned out I had plenty of clearance to the bed rails. That said, I did find one problem and that is with the "wings" on the MORryde pin box. The flange on the outside plate "wing" caught my cargo cover rail on a very sharp turn. Fortunately it also pulled the breakaway cable so I ended up with very little damage to the cargo cover rail.

I called MORryde to discuss and told me that some have been cutting off the flange. they also did not recommend or suggest this, they were just acknowledging that it is a problem for some. I was not keen on this as the flange does provide some stiffness to the "wing." However, I did cut off the trailing corner of the flange on a 45 degree angle. This should eliminate the flange getting under the rail and still leave plenty of stiffness in the wing.

I plan to stop in at MORryde this summer to review further. It just seems that they should build in a bit more flexibility into these systems. For example, I was going to raise the pin box one hole, but the hole pattern in the wing would have prevented me from using the required three bolts in the front column of bolt holes.
It is not the MOR/ryde pinbox causing the issue, it is the DRV designed Lippert frame.

MOR/ryde does make a shorter version of the pinbox, but then you can't drop your tailgate
2020 F-450
Old 02-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #16
porthole

Quote:
For example, I was going to raise the pin box one hole, but the hole pattern in the wing would have prevented me from using the required three bolts in the front column of bolt holes.
Something to consider if you plan on lowering the pinbox.

Those "plates" you see are not part of the frame, they are a seperate piece of steel, a stiffener for the part "plate' welded to the frame.

The plates have holes spaced at 2", the frame behind it has holes spaced at 1", so twice as many. If you lower the pinbox 1 hole (inside plate) the outer plate has to go down two holes, making more of a problem. Lower the pinbox 2 holes and the plate will line up be be in the same relative position.

You'll gain bed rail vertical clearance but do nothing for the horizontal clearance.

No matter where you set the pinbox, the corners of those plates will be a problem.

Also note if you decide to remove your pin box (and something you might want to address anyway).

DRV may or may not have used grade 8 hardware for the pin box. The do use conventional spring type lock washers. There is a very good chance if you look up under your pinbax, one or more of the lock washers will have failed. Even if they have not failed by looks, if you remove the bolts you really need to consider replacing them. They are the wrong type anyway. That application should have conical lock washers. Most common place I have found those is on eTrailer, supplied by Reese.

There are now a couple of DRV'ers trying the Gen-Y pinboxes, two styles one is a goose ball style the other a conventional 5th wheel pin.

They looked promising as they are about 2" or so shorter from the pin to the 1st row of bolt holes. Although first reports coming out are not very promising, at least one person still has a side rail issue on turns (I think he has the 5th wheel pin style) .

Haven't heard yet from the guy with a 2020 450, DRV toy hauler and the Gen-Y goose neck. There are a couple people using the Reese or Anderson type goose balls and there are few that have an issue with not being able to jack high enough without using blocks under the jacks to get off the ball. First unloading the springs then raising another 4" to clear the ball can be challenging.
2020 F-450
Old 02-25-2021, 09:41 AM   #17
bjogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
Something to consider if you plan on lowering the pinbox.

Those "plates" you see are not part of the frame, they are a seperate piece of steel, a stiffener for the part "plate' welded to the frame.

The plates have holes spaced at 2", the frame behind it has holes spaced at 1", so twice as many. If you lower the pinbox 1 hole (inside plate) the outer plate has to go down two holes, making more of a problem. Lower the pinbox 2 holes and the plate will line up be be in the same relative position.

You'll gain bed rail vertical clearance but do nothing for the horizontal clearance.

No matter where you set the pinbox, the corners of those plates will be a problem.

Also note if you decide to remove your pin box (and something you might want to address anyway).

DRV may or may not have used grade 8 hardware for the pin box. The do use conventional spring type lock washers. There is a very good chance if you look up under your pinbax, one or more of the lock washers will have failed. Even if they have not failed by looks, if you remove the bolts you really need to consider replacing them. They are the wrong type anyway. That application should have conical lock washers. Most common place I have found those is on eTrailer, supplied by Reese.

There are now a couple of DRV'ers trying the Gen-Y pinboxes, two styles one is a goose ball style the other a conventional 5th wheel pin.

They looked promising as they are about 2" or so shorter from the pin to the 1st row of bolt holes. Although first reports coming out are not very promising, at least one person still has a side rail issue on turns (I think he has the 5th wheel pin style) .

Haven't heard yet from the guy with a 2020 450, DRV toy hauler and the Gen-Y goose neck. There are a couple people using the Reese or Anderson type goose balls and there are few that have an issue with not being able to jack high enough without using blocks under the jacks to get off the ball. First unloading the springs then raising another 4" to clear the ball can be challenging.
Thanks Duane,

They did use grade 8 bolts.

You are correct about the holes and the plate. Tried several variations and all no good.

I have seen the video on the Gen-Y. Nice set-up and may end up being the best answer.

Where I am now works other than I’d like to be closer to level (nose high). I’m thinking a modified plate may do the trick.

Bryon
Old 02-25-2021, 10:16 AM   #18
porthole

Quote:
Thanks Duane,

They did use grade 8 bolts.

You are correct about the holes and the plate. Tried several variations and all no good.

I have seen the video on the Gen-Y. Nice set-up and may end up being the best answer.

Where I am now works other than I’d like to be closer to level (nose high). I’m thinking a modified plate may do the trick.

Bryon
You can lower the shear springs on the IS, holes already there. That will gain you an inch at the axles, closer to level but won't help bed rail clearance much.
2020 F-450
Old 02-26-2021, 09:49 AM   #19
bjogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
It is not the MOR/ryde pinbox causing the issue, it is the DRV designed Lippert frame.

MOR/ryde does make a shorter version of the pinbox, but then you can't drop your tailgate
Very true but the only things I can adjust are the pin box height and the pivot arm (hitch) height.

If MORryde would make a plate with a different hole pattern I could likely solve my problem. We'll see.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:23 AM   #20
porthole

Quote:
If MORryde would make a plate with a different hole pattern I could likely solve my problem. We'll see.
Not sure what you mean by different hole pattern (it is an industry standard of the Lippert 1621 pin box), but MOR/ryde does make a shorter pin box

2020 F-450