Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
rjohnsonnm

Wheel Chocks

I have a set of BAL wheel chocks (the between-the-wheels kind). I notice that if I don't remove the chocks before I hook-up the truck, when I go to remove the chocks they have slipped up or down between the wheels. It seems to me that if just hooking up the truck would cause them to loosen, they really aren't doing a whole lot of good in preventing the unit from rolling on an incline. They do make a big difference in the stability of the coach while parked so, if for no other reason, I guess they're worth it, but now I'm concerned that they won't hold on an incline when I unhook the truck. And some RV parks seem to be fairly unlevel. Another question is, how tight is too tight? Maybe that's my problem, I'm not tightening them enough. Can you damage the tires by tightening the chocks too much?
Ron

2004 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #0925
2011 F-350 Lariat Diesel Longbed
Albuquerque, NM
rjohnsonnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
RonS

I cant help you as I only use the little plastic jobs, that way I'm not out too much when I forget to take them up and try out my Diesel to see if its still working correctly. Sure does flatten them out. Anyway I dont think you can get them too tight, the whole weight of your trailer is on the tires and that dont hurt them.

06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
rdunk

rjohnsonnm, do you retighten after the tires cool down, after setting up? If not that could be some of the reason for the "loosening".

I also use between the tires chocks, but I do not experience that problem. However, I do use "RotoChoks" I have used them for over three years, and I still think they are great for doing what we need. I do put them on both sides. Many, many, many............................good reviews on the varuous forums.

Yes, they are a little pricey, in comparison to others available, but for what you get, and how well they work, IMHO, well worth the money.

http://www.rotochok.com/

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
RGordon

I have the same wheel chock and have noticed that mine will loosen when you lift the front end up for hookup. They are also tight before I lift the front. I think it has something to do with the centerpoint suspension changing the center of gravity, causing them to loosen. If I was on an encline I would retighten them as I lift the front for hookup. Then remove when secured by hitch.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
jdwilson3

rotochoks

We use rotochoks on both sides. I re-tighten them after about 4 hours. We have not had any issues with them slipping.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
billr

We also use Roto Chocks, and do retighten them after they cool. I use a set of regular chocks for disconnect and hookup (remove the Roto's before hookup) because after you push the trailer about 6" one time with them installed hooking up you won't do that again! They get a major wedgie and a pain to remove.

We tow with an HDT and a camera to hookup, and 99% of the time its a smooth sweet hookup, but that one time is enough, and the truck doesn't even notice its hooked up. So the worse I do is roll over a ground chock then.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
wingnut60
Site Team

wheel chocks

I use the BAL chocks also--never have a problem with them loosening. I tighten them to as much as I can with the rachet tool that comes with them. Use one on each side. They stay in place during the pull test before leaving, also. So, I think you just need to tighten them more when placing them.

It stands to reason the hot tires will contract slightly as they cool, so if the chock is not placed tightly, then can be loose when tires cool. I checked the new Michelins I put on for temps on the road this trip--121 on shade side, 139 on sun side. 120psi went to 131 on each tire after driving 200+ miles.

Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote