Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
JAB

Twin Furnance

How do we geat your 2 furnances to run independently. The furnances show up on zone 1 & zone 2 but both run on Zone 1

Any Ideas????

JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
traveler

I am surprised that you have two furnaces.

traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
rdunk

Jab, I also am not aware of any of the "Suites" having two furnaces. Do you by chance have two A'c's with heat pumps. I have two heat pumps, and both zones are displayed for temperature settings on the control panel. Is that possibly what you are seeing??

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
bstark

The new "biggies" come with 2 furnaces as an option.

When viewing the DRV website; click on the Mobile Suites and look at the header photo of the whole trailer and you will see a vertical mount furnace in front of or forward from the cargo door along with the traditional one placed aft of that side cargo door. I assume that option is available on the Elites as well but they just didn't have a pic to load up on the Website. I saw a photo somewhere of the cargo door open on someone's trailer that had the option and it occupies considerable space forward in the cargo bay with all of it's ducting etc.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
JAB

Twin Furnance

We just got a 2009 Mobile Suite - we are full timers and traded in our 2005
There is a option for a canadian packge - 2 furnances, heat pads on tanks and wrapped vaule pipe - we were told both furnances would run independntly - they don't we don't have heat pumps on our air conditioners - Just wondering if anyone else has 2 furnances that run independently

Thanks for your help
Old 10-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
2 DA WDS

I saw an Elite at a campground in Carlock IL last month that had 2 furnaces. I was surprised that both were up front. The owner never showed up before we had to leave.
2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
syringa

Send a message via MSN to syringa
2 furnace info

I'm in the process of ordering a 2010 36rs3 and am considering the Canadian pkg.. I am concerned with how much space the extra furnace takes in the cargo area. Also they should be able to wire them independantly. I was told one furnace for the bedroom and one for the living area but someone with the option can tell us..perhaps a pic??? thks all
syringa
syringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
I spent the winter a couple years ago in our Mobile Suite in NW Pa. because of an illness in the family.

If the temp. outside gets below about 20-25*F the furnace blower will not shut off. The burner turns off once and a while though.
And about 50% of the heat from the RV propane furnace goes outside in the form of exhaust. These RV furnaces are not efficient! And very expensive to operate in the sub freezing temps.

And if you do not have a large propane tank sitting on the ground outside your suite it is a pain in the butt and expensive to fill and carry the 40# tanks every week. Propane is $3 per gallon in Pa. I can easily burn $250 a month in the winter just to heat my Suite.

The winter I spent in NW Pa. I had an electric heater next to my water preasure tank in my well shed, 50 feet of electric heat tape on the water hose with insulation around it, a heater in the basement and two heaters inside the Suite, elec. hot water tank, elec. clothes dryer, convection microwave, and a crock pot many days...All electric and my highest electric bill was about $230...@ about $.06 a kilowatt hour.

I used our heat pump until the temps. were below about 35*F. to heat our suite that year. And small electric heaters when it was colder. And IT GOT COLD!!!
I used one heater in the living area and one in the bedroom. The bedroom is much much easier to heat because of the fewer windows compared to the main living area. And I used a small electric heater in the basement utility area to keep the pipes from freezing.

In my opinion and experience, it is more efficient and less expensive to heat with the heat pump and portable electric heaters.

I would not spend the money on a bedroom furnace. Esp. if it will not run independently.....
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
j&j

We have the 2 furnaces and have the unit at the shop getting the satellite dish installed on the roof and ask them to see if the furnaces can be changed to run indepentently. Will let you know what we find out.
Central, LA
j&j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #10
RGordon

You would think with the insulation R-Values being so high, you would be able to heat it with a 100 watt light bulb. The slides are just killers in letting in cold air and just recently I installed a new solid rubber seal under the living room/kitchen slide. Will check out the end results this winter. If the twin furnaces are not independently wired, then I would think they are not wired correctly since you have two heat sensors.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
j&j

Twin Furnaces

The dealership ran the front furnace separate and put a thermostat in the bedroom. This is going to work out great for us. This should be done by the factory.
Central, LA
j&j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
JAB

2 furnances

We had to take our coach to a local dealer to have a 2nd thermostat installed in the bedroom to allow the furnances to run independently.
I agree it should have been correct before it left the factory
Old 01-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #13
hitchup

Maybe we just adjust easier, but we don't see the need to have our 2 furnaces run separately like the 2 AC units. I quickly developed a simple routine last winter to set temps in the morning on the thermostat and space heaters. I then adjust early evening according to comfort level and watching the Weather Station temps by the television. Then I adjust one more time before bed.

Living in our 2009 vs our 2006 Elite Suite, we've eliminated the electric blanket and only use a down alternative comforter. Stay plenty warm in the Qn bed vs the King bed in the ES. Although, I do get a little cool when David gets up at 5:30 am and heads off to work!

Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote