Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
gspman

TV question/opinion

Need some opinions

I have a 08 shortbox, ext cab LMM that I have had since 2010. It currently has 134k miles and is rust free and mechanically in real good shape. I have in the last year did the DPF delete, new 5in stainless exhaust, EFI live and a CTS edge monitor, EGR is turned off, completely new brakes and ALL Fluids.... again (synthetic).

This coming year it will be ball joints & front end, serp belt and pully's. Maybe Rad hoses... they seem good but ?
Tranny is nice and tight

Wife and I are planning our 1st "pre-retirement trip" to Gulf Shores, AL in April 2021. We have a 2019 Keystone 33 ft "Half Ton" 5th wheel that we will be pulling.

Q: Due to the trucks age, is it wise to take it on such a trip and prolly more in the future after that or is it time for a newer truck.
really like this one though

gspman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
Notanlines

Scott, keep in mind that between Wisconsin and Gulf Shores there are no hills. You not only will not have a long pull up a large incline, you won't even have a SHORT pull up an incline. Between St Louis and Sikeston there might be a few rolling hills, but that's it. Your question cries out for about 100 different opinions, probably all with some semblance of credibility. I don't think I want to face retirement in a 15 year old truck. We would be looking at dependability and that's not it.

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #3
steve_darlene

I have an '04 crewcab. Check the brake lines and fuel lines for rust. Have replaced all on my truck. I live outside of Boston MA, so we have lots of salt on the roads
steve_darlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
TGK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspman View Post
Need some opinions

I have a 08 shortbox, ext cab LMM that I have had since 2010. It currently has 134k miles and is rust free and mechanically in real good shape. I have in the last year did the DPF delete, new 5in stainless exhaust, EFI live and a CTS edge monitor, EGR is turned off, completely new brakes and ALL Fluids.... again (synthetic).

This coming year it will be ball joints & front end, serp belt and pully's. Maybe Rad hoses... they seem good but ?
Tranny is nice and tight

Wife and I are planning our 1st "pre-retirement trip" to Gulf Shores, AL in April 2021. We have a 2019 Keystone 33 ft "Half Ton" 5th wheel that we will be pulling.

Q: Due to the trucks age, is it wise to take it on such a trip and prolly more in the future after that or is it time for a newer truck.
We have a stock "no mods" 09 LMM 3500 with 125k on the speedo pulling an 08 Montana 3400RL other than a couple of minor electronic bugs it has been relatively trouble free. Regular maintenance is the key to reliability, I have a lot of confidence in the truck and wouldn't hesitate taking it to Gulf Shores, or pretty much anywhere for that matter.
TGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #5
stanleyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspman View Post
Need some opinions

Tranny is nice and tight

My answer;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thanksgivng 2008 078.jpg (136.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #6
Dave A

I had an 06, with the LLY and put 487,000 miles on it. The only time it failed me was when it blew a small hose on the backside of the engine going to the oil cooler. Anti freeze everywhere! I didn't even know that hose was back there, you have to get it on a lift to even see it. Check it just in case.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #7
ampettigus

I have a 2014 Silverado 2500 with 118K miles and followed all the required servicing with addition of a new radiator and alternator. I pull a 32ft Keystone Cougar trailer.

My expectation is to do 3 trips totalling 8Kmiles in 2020 followed by 7Kmile trip from NC to OK CO AZ and TX in 2021 with my existing setup.

You have done a lot of work on your truck but have you done the same on the trailer.
Particularly the wheel hubs and bearings which need repacked every 11K miles also re-sealing the trailer roof

By that time I will be 75 so I think my energy level will be gone before the truck is done
ampettigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #8
03Roadking

Assuming you have owned it since new or if you brought it used, you know the truck better than anyone else. Make a trip or two see how it handles the 5er. Trucks or expensive if you have one that will handle your needs keep it.
03Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:29 PM   #9
fjr vfr

You're kidding...right. Half the people I see full timing and such have trucks 10 years older than yours with double the mileage and they're on the road all the time.
My truck is a 2008 with around 125k miles and it still rides and looks like new. We just crossed the country from VA to CA last month pulling our 5th wheel and we won't be back in VA till June. Your mileage is nothing for a diesel pu Especially deleted. I don't understand your worry?

BTW, what does LMM stand for?
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #10
gspman

08 lmm

Alot of sage advice on this thread....thx all

No way i can afford a new or newer TV, going to have change TV in the future for sure. This truck has given me not 1 bit of trouble, except battery replacement 2 years ago.

But i can provide superior maintenance on TV and the trailer. (e brakes and bearings/hubs & tires)
As soon as new truck tires are paid off, new trailer tires going on.
The trailer is a 2019 with only 600 miles it.

LMM = year class of duramax
LMM, an Emissions Friendly Duramax Diesel The LMM made its debut midway into the 2007 model year, phasing out the previous generation LBZ. ... The primary highlight of the LMM is that it met strict EPA mandated emissions requirements for the 2007 model year.
gspman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:53 PM   #11
fjr vfr

Wow, my old demented mind could never remember to many acronyms.

That's why I have a Ram. Simple 5.9 to 6.7 I don't want to remember more than I have to.
Save travels.

fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote