Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
BeachMan

Curt X5 fifth wheel adaptor/Q24 hitch

I am considering a Curt Q24 hitch. My 2018 GMC 3500DRW has a gooseneck receiver in the bed. I believe installed aftermarket. I bought used with 10k miles.

I have been checking out Curt X5 Gooseneck adaptor. Anybody have any experience with the Adaptor plate?

I am a super newbie and want to make the right call. Pulling about 20k lbs

BeachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
Harley Jim

I have one! Works fine, will adapt to any hitch that fits standard rails.

Harley Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #3
17Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMan View Post
I am considering a Curt Q24 hitch. My 2018 GMC 3500DRW has a gooseneck receiver in the bed. I believe installed aftermarket. I bought used with 10k miles.

I have been checking out Curt X5 Gooseneck adaptor. Anybody have any experience with the Adaptor plate?

I am a super newbie and want to make the right call. Pulling about 20k lbs
I just went with the Pullriite 2600, best setup I have ever used!

http://www.pullrite.com/2600
17Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:29 AM   #4
bwandrack

BeachMan,

I have an identical set up in my Ram 3500 dually. I have the B&W goose neck and it all works great. I love that I can take the bed rails out any time I need to. They are heavy as heck, but it sure is nice. The only issue I had was a bit of play in the X5. It has about 1/2" of rotational play in it, even when the locking lever for the goose neck is in place. All I did was drill out a hole in the middle of the front rail on the X5 with a matching hole in the truck bed. I put a bolt through there and tighten it down some. It doesn't really provide anything more than some stability. All of the play in the X5 is gone and everything works great. I would highly recommend this set up. I looked at the B&W companion hitch which drops right into the goose neck hole, but since I already had a Curt 24k hitch, the X5 made more sense.
bwandrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
friz

Sorry, see my other reply (#6).
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #6
friz

Is that a retractable ball with a square hole in the center? If you are calling it a goose neck I believe it has to be a ball. So if it is a retractable ball please consider this. My truck has a retractable ball. My new (to me) 5th wheel has the standard pin/plate setup. My trailers have all had goose necks. Ease of use etc. I am partial to them. Instead of buying/installing a receiver plate system ($1000?) I went with what I had. I bought a EAZ-Lift adapter for $350. Took no more than an hour to install on the pin box. So now I start with a clear uncluttered bed. Nothing to install. Raise the ball. Back the ball under the adapter. Lower and lock. Drive away. Reverse: Unlock. Raise the trailer. Lower the ball. Drive away with an open, uncluttered bed.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:32 PM   #7
merlinhomeauto

That looks like the B&W turnover receiver.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:44 AM   #8
17Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
Is that a retractable ball with a square hole in the center? If you are calling it a goose neck I believe it has to be a ball. So if it is a retractable ball please consider this. My truck has a retractable ball. My new (to me) 5th wheel has the standard pin/plate setup. My trailers have all had goose necks. Ease of use etc. I am partial to them. Instead of buying/installing a receiver plate system ($1000?) I went with what I had. I bought a EAZ-Lift adapter for $350. Took no more than an hour to install on the pin box. So now I start with a clear uncluttered bed. Nothing to install. Raise the ball. Back the ball under the adapter. Lower and lock. Drive away. Reverse: Unlock. Raise the trailer. Lower the ball. Drive away with an open, uncluttered bed.
Looks like a good setup, wish I had known about before I bought my system, but no regrets....

17Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote