Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
kfrimr

HDT Break set up.

I have just ordered a new MobileSuites from DoubleTree. They install the Kodiak Hydraulic disk break system. My truck will be a Volvo with Airbrakes. My questions is ... Is it best to go from air to electric to Hydraulic, or is there a better way to eliminate the middle and go directly from Air to Hydraulic? I understand that the actuator is also from Kodiak. I have not yet set up the truck but am thinking of using the BrakeSmart air activated electronic proportional brake controller. Any Ideas of the best way to go?
Kent & Jan

kfrimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
Gunship Guy

Kent and Jan,
I can't tell you which way is best but I can tell you what I did.

I used the Hayes-Lemmerz air over electric brake controller. I tapped into my Volvo's air lines located behind the instrument panel. Very, very easy to do. Then just integrated the electronic side of the Hayes-Lemmerz controller into the truck's electrical system using Volvo's wiring diagram.

One of the benefits of using an air over electric controller is you can maintain the functionality of the Johnson bar on the dash to control your trailer brakes and never have to touch the brake controller itself.

I don't know of an air over hydraulic system that bypasses the electronic controller in the middle. Maybe there is but I have not heard of one mentioned.

Gunship Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Motor31

I havce no experiance with either the air commanded brakes setting trhe trailer brakes or the air over hydraulic on the trailer. I set mine up using the standard Teknosha Prodigy controller and a Hoppy converter to control the lights, sorry.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote