Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2021, 11:30 AM   #1
OneReallyOldGuy

SeeLevel gauges malfunctioning

I posted this in the general repairs section and got no response. I’m reposting it here looking for a remedy.
The black and gray tank SeeLevel gauges have been giving me problems for over a year now. The fresh water gauge reads correctly all the time. As the black and gray tanks fill the readings begin to go crazy then they just give up and the display reads “OPN”. According to the owners manual that means there is an open circuit.
I changed both of the green sensor strips, then months later took it to my selling dealer who also changed the green sensors and made sure there were no hot wires near the sensors. No improvement. Last month I was ‘up nawth’ so I took it to the DRV factory and they changed the sensors and the display unit inside the coach. Still no improvement.
I’ve tried a variety of tank cleaners the last being a black tank cleaner by Unique. Flushed the black tank, filled it with clean water, added the cleaner, topped off the tank until the toilets would not flush anymore and took a three day trip away from the coach. No change.
I’ve put a whole bottle of Dawn down the drain into the gray tank, filled it with water and let it soak for a day. I’ve tried a gallon of drain cleaner into a full tank, soaking overnight and the lastly 2 gallons of vinegar into the empty tank when I left the factory and drove 300 miles. Still no change.
I am stumped. The service manager at my selling dealer is stumped. The shop Forman at the factory is stumped.
Have any of you had this problem? So far I haven’t overflowed the black tank but I have learned that when the gray tank is full the washing machine will drain onto the floor. That was fun (he said sarcastically)
As always, thanks for your help.
Phil

OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:36 PM   #2
CaptainPalapa

While not terribly helpful to solve your specific issue, all I can really suggest is: "ignore the gauges". As a general rule, I haven't even looked at the readings in the past year and a half of fulltiming. I know our main black tank, I can go about 2+ weeks. I know that 5 loads of laundry is the max for the back tank, and 6 will overflow it. I have no idea how many showers I can take, but we are usually in a campground so that isn't a big deal. Plus, if I'm boondocking, letting a little shower water out on the ground won't be a big deal.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:45 PM   #3
OneReallyOldGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPalapa View Post
While not terribly helpful to solve your specific issue, all I can really suggest is: "ignore the gauges". As a general rule, I haven't even looked at the readings in the past year and a half of fulltiming. I know our main black tank, I can go about 2+ weeks. I know that 5 loads of laundry is the max for the back tank, and 6 will overflow it. I have no idea how many showers I can take, but we are usually in a campground so that isn't a big deal. Plus, if I'm boondocking, letting a little shower water out on the ground won't be a big deal.
2 weeks to fill your black tank? I’d be livin the dream if I could go that long. Two macerator toilets plus wifey working at home all day every day equals two days, three max on the black. I like a good 40 gallon or so of gray to follow the black drain so it gets dicey on laundry day sometimes.
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #4
routemaster

Send a message via AIM to routemaster
I had them play up as well on my old coach I think the walls of the tanks get coated and give false readings.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:31 PM   #5
OCB

I had a little problem with calibration also. A quick visual of the sensor to fine end of the senor had peeled away. Attached back to tank and everything is OK
Clay 2016 MS 38PS3
OCB is offline   Reply With Quote