Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
stanleyz

INSURANCE Are you covered? R U sure??

So I just changed insurance companies. I have had a truck and 5th wheel insurance for twenty years with four different companies. Today my Allstate policy began and I was reviewing it when a problem hit me between the eyes. As usual my fifth wheel is covered for liability involving a traffic accident because it is covered with my truck. Here at home it is covered under Home Owners. But, when unhooked and sitting in the campground I have no liability coverage. I verified that with the local office and they talked with Allstate. Not only do I not have coverage but they don't have a way to sell me any. No such policy. I don't have any of my old policies but I did review the one with the last company and it seems to have the same short coming. So, if some one comes to visit and falls down my steps I'm on the hook for medical and I may have been for 20 years,

Suggestions please?

Old 07-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Stanley,
I have full-timer coverage with Good Sam/National General. Supposedly covered for liability, but will have to check.
Coverage for trailer is separate from truck--'17 450/'11 MKX/'15 Suites=$4200year, lowest I could find in TX.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
Buckshot

I carry a one million dollar umbrella that should take care of that.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
stanleyz

Yeah, thats the way I'm thinking I have to go.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
LarryFlew

Found the same thing reviewing my policies last year. Guess I have been without for about 5 years. Switched my 5th to Good Sam. Price was almost the same but WITH coverage.
LarryFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #6
Mel11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Stanley,
I have full-timer coverage with Good Sam/National General. Supposedly covered for liability, but will have to check.
Coverage for trailer is separate from truck--'17 450/'11 MKX/'15 Suites=$4200year, lowest I could find in TX.

$4200.00 a year WHAT
What do you guys in usa pay for RV insurance.
My new 2018 5th wheel cost me $495.00 per year in Canada
Mel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
rcraft@satx.rr.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
I also have an Umbrella ... but you must have the "underlying" insurance to make that work. My State Farm agent said the only way to get the Umbrella to cover the 5th wheel is to have liability on the 5th wheel. We are full timers so we have $500K with the full timers policy (National General) and our Umbrella with State Farm.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #8
clev

I'm going to do some personal checking but I think most of you guys/gals are wrong. Only motorized vehicles, operating on the highway, need liability insurance. And anything 'attached' to the insured motorized vehicle is covered. Maybe I'm wrong, but checking.
'17 36RSSB3///2012 F350 KR, LWB/SRW, Bilsteins, antisway bar, Bilstein steering stabilizer, Airlift air bags, wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, synthetic fluid, KEM, PIP, & Tyrant tunes w/SCR4 programming, Edge CTS gauge monitoring, G37 2017 turbo, ATS Stage I transmission.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
CHAPS2018

I am thinking the OP is referring to liability coverage like you have with a home owners policy. As he points out this appears to be a gap.
CHAPS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:28 PM   #10
OneReallyOldGuy

If you’re RV is your only residence you need liability insurance. Progressive offers a “full timers policy” as well as auto policies and umbrella policies.
Sounds like I work there but I don’t I’m just a customer.
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #11
sfsgm

Quote:
Yup, I have two million and it covers it.
sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:10 AM   #12
dmorse68

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReallyOldGuy View Post
If you’re RV is your only residence you need liability insurance. Progressive offers a “full timers policy” as well as auto policies and umbrella policies.
Sounds like I work there but I don’t I’m just a customer.
I agree with old guy. According to my Farmers insurance agent, because I am a full timer, I needed to get a full timers insurance that covered my rig if a tree branch breaks off and damaged the roof, flood, fire, etc. The way he explained it was, it was like a renters insurance or a home owners policy, and covers my investment for when I am sitting. It costs me $135/month.

Now if I hook it up and drive it down the road, I need a separate policy for that similar to auto insurance. And he said i can call up a day before I head out and let them know how long I’ll be on the road traveling and I pay for only the days I am out towing it.

Is this what is in line with what you are told by your agents?

David.
dmorse68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:29 PM   #13
rcraft@satx.rr.com

No. When I am towing, the truck insurance covers the rig. When I am parked the full timers insurance covers me. The Umbrella is in effect at all times.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:33 PM   #14
rcraft@satx.rr.com

Quote:
With State Farm ... to get an Umbrella, you must have "underlying" liability. So your truck is covered by the usual kind of auto insurance ... but if your trailer insurance policy (for when you are parked in a campsite) doesn't have liability, then your umbrella will NOT cover it. Too often we "assume" we have coverage only to discover when it's too late, that we don't. Check to make sure.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #15
OneReallyOldGuy

Here’s the breakdown of my coverages. I do not own a home or rent an apartment.
Full coverage on my truck which also extends liability coverage to my fifth wheel when I’m towing. $1048 a year.
Full timers policy on my DRV which covers liability when parked (in case Lil Billy from the next campsite runs under my fifth wheel and splits his head open on my kingpin for example). It also covers comprehensive (fire, theft etc.) collision (hitting something, tree falling on it, etc.) emergency living expense (just like homeowners) and replacement of personal effects (clothes, linens, dishes, etc. $1504 a year.
Plus an umbrella policy. Couple hundred bucks, don’t remember exactly.
I get it all from the same company which should simplify things if I have to file a claim which I hope I never do.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:15 PM   #16
stanleyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReallyOldGuy View Post
Here’s the breakdown of my coverages. I do not own a home or rent an apartment.
Full coverage on my truck which also extends liability coverage to my fifth wheel when I’m towing. $1048 a year.
Full timers policy on my DRV which covers liability when parked (in case Lil Billy from the next campsite runs under my fifth wheel and splits his head open on my kingpin for example). It also covers comprehensive (fire, theft etc.) collision (hitting something, tree falling on it, etc.) emergency living expense (just like homeowners) and replacement of personal effects (clothes, linens, dishes, etc. $1504 a year.
Plus an umbrella policy. Couple hundred bucks, don’t remember exactly.
I get it all from the same company which should simplify things if I have to file a claim which I hope I never do.

OK great. What company? Little Billie is the issue. I’ve 20 years with a fiver. I am not full time nor have I ever been. I changed to All state this year and when reviewing my policy the lack of coverage after the rv is unhooked from the truck surfaced. I called Allstate and they do not have a policy that would cover me. They also would not sell me an umbrella policy for some reason i cannot remember right now. I was with Good Sam last and they are not an insurance company, they are an agent. They sold me a National General policy and I’m pretty sure it did not cover the little Billie situation. I checked their web site recently and they offered that coverage for full timers only. So thats why I started the thread. I think a lot of RVers are without coverage once unhooked.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:02 AM   #17
OneReallyOldGuy

I have progressive despite the stupid commercials.
If you have homeowners insurance check and see if the liability portion extends to your camper. It seems like the insurance companies would tap that market when selling camper policies to increase profits if it doesn’t.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:45 PM   #18
KirkM

Note for those with Allstate RV insurance. As per the OPs thread starter. May 2020 we had an on-road accident which damaged our fifth wheel. Allstate would not honor the claim. I, too, was told when we got the insurance 6 years ago that the truck carried the insurance. Well, guess what, we get to pay out of pocket. Allstate said we did not have insurance on the RV when being towed. Only covered when parked.
I explained several times to different Allstate claims people that I was told by their agent that the truck carried the towing insurance. Nope! We switched everything to Nationwide, except the motorcycle goes to Progressive. Read your policies, don’t believe what an agent told you.
KirkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #19
OneReallyOldGuy

Your post worried me so much I immediately went and re-read my policy. Your truck insurance covers your liability in an accident. It doesn’t fix your stuff just the other guy’s.
My DRV has comprehensive (fire,theft, etc.) and collision (damage from hitting objects) in addition to my fulltimer’s liability coverage just like the full coverage policy on my truck.
Did you file a claim under your trailer insurance policy? If you filed under your truck they will deny it and not say a word about your trailer insurance. Remember, the insurance company’s job is to collect premiums and deny claims.
File the claim again specifying the trailer’s policy. If they deny it and you have substantial damage you might want to consult with an attorney.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:44 PM   #20
KirkM

Thanks for the suggestions.
Yes, we did file against the trailer. I considered an attorney, by the time we get done paying them we would be about even for the repairs. However, if we had been totaled that would be a longer story. Good news is our trailer is nearly repaired.
FWIW: We did not have full-timer insurance. We had what our agent recommended. We go full-time in 15 days! And full-time insurance is now in place, with a different company. Allstate lost a lot more money from me in all the policies premiums we pay in 1 year than the trailer repair bill. Sucks to be them .

KirkM is offline   Reply With Quote