Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
hmwilbur

08 3500 Chevy height

We were planning on buying a 2008 Chevy 3500 SRW truck and can not believe that the bed height and the depth of the box have been increased to the point that our Mobile Suites will not ride level with 6" of clearence with the pickup box. The box is 1.3" deeper and the bed height is 1" higher. Is there anyone pulling a Mobile Suites with the newer style Chevy truck and if so were any modifications made to the truck or trailer?

hmwilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Carny Bill

Did they just change in 2008 or what year model did it change???

12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
RodeWorthy

Changes in pickup bed height 2008 GM GMT900

The bed height changed with the new GMT900 truck series that was released as the "new" style Chevy/GMC as opposed to the "classic" style in the 2007.5 version. In this brand there were two truck versions in 2007. All 2008 production is the GMT900 "new" style.

I have the complete dimensions of my bed somewhere but I have so much collected info I can't locate them at the moment. You already have the dimensions so that is not so important.

I had my Mobile Suites trailer "tubed" or raised by 2" when the Mor/Ryde IS axles were installed immediately after purchase. I dropped the fifth wheel pin box to its lowest configuration and accepted the 3" riser mounts for my Trailersaver hitch. That was the tallest they had. I have asked for 4" risers but they are not available through the Hensley sales office. I will fabricate my own.

I also have a reserve one inch I can raise the trailer at the axles if needed by using the optional mounting holes for the axles.

My truck suspension is stock with stock 17" wheels/tires.

In my present configuration I am slightly down in the nose of the trailer and adding the 1" to the hitch risers will make me level with the air bags set to the optimized level. At present I am less than 6" over parts of the pickup bed rails even with all those mods.

So far I have been lucky. I got into a really bad situation at Stone Mountain Park GA and almost had to give up on that camp due to a sharp left turn down a very steep grade. I aired up the hitch and raised it as far as I could and just managed to get it down the hill with minimal clearance between the trailer and truck. Without that capability of the air bag lift I would not pull in this configuration. Even still I should get busy and make that new riser. Thank you for reminding me about that need.

Truck manufacturers continue to build these trucks to look great without regard to their customer's needs. I would guess most of these duallies are purchased to tow and many pull RV fifth wheel trailers. They have needlessly created a problem.

Please note my situation is for a dually and your contemplation is for SWR. I am not sure what difference that will make. Its a great truck and I love it but touchy in this area for sure.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote