Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
caw1916

Opinons on Royal Villa 5th wheels

Well just to start off, im new to the rving life style. I am looking to be living in my rv for about a year or so in durango Co. Untill i get my house built. the winters dont get all that bad, the low maybe around 10degrees. I have been doing a lot of reasearch and been to numerous rv delears around here in tucson az. Been really doign my research on a good all around rv but more so winter style. I found some good notes to look out for and tricks to winterizing too. But i founf a really nice 36foot royal villa. I have tried to do research on it, but realy cant find any real personal owner reviews on them in regards to quality, winter statistics etc... so could anybody really give me any info on them, in regards to quality, etc.....
thank you

caw1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I don't think they made that many and finding owners of that brand my be difficult. If there is a specific question regarding living in a rig you might get more response.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
hitchup

I believe King of the Road was one of the earlier 4-season or Full-time units.

They had quite a few different models, so am not sure where the Royal Villa falls.

Brands Produced: King of the Road Models: Crown Marquis, Genesis, Marquis, Marquis II, Royal Lite, Royal Villa

Here's the Recall record:
http://www.recallrecord.com/auto/kin...ad/royalvilla/

...and finally a 2007 Brochure.

http://media.rvusa.com/library/07_royalvilla_FW.pdf

I can't remember the reason they went under, but it was during the Economic Slowdown.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
caw1916

okt hank you for the answers. ya i did a search and really couldnt find all that much. i will be living in one full time in two areas, durango co. and tucson az. here is the add in which the one i was looking at is for sale http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/rvd/4167059771.html
Old 11-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Looks clean and well taken care of from the photos, getting up close and seeing with your own eyes may be different. Not overly priced for the year and possible condition. Enough room to live in and with the layout you might find it more than adequate.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Motor31

I visited the King of the Road factory before they shut down. I was impressed with their methods and attention to details. They actually had real wiring diagrams, wire looms and specifications they followed unlike mobile suites. No tangles of loose wires, everything was set up on a "loom", properly coded, secured then set into dedicated wire runs in the unit before it was put together. The same was done for plumbing. They took the time to do the construction right.

They "went under" by choice, before the economy slumped. They decided to concentrate on the motorhome segment rather than the 5th wheel side as they were into custom and quality builds, not mass production slam it together. By dropping one line they simplified their manufacturing process. If you are going to buy an "orphan" unit, that is one line that is probably better than 90% of the other manufacturers. I would have compared them favorably against Teton and New Horizons any day of the week.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
caw1916

Ya i went a looked at the rv today. It looks very clean and really stout. its located at small private owner dealership and they are flexible on price with a full 5 year warrenty. It has a new roof, upgraded a/c units, and a new fireplace. Dry weight is 14,625lbs. which in my research and discover is a great winter and all around rig. but its a little heavy. but i have a hookup with my cousins private transportation company.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Motor31

I'd be a little leary about the new roof. What does that mean? Did it just have the membrane replaced due to a tear or being thin or was there a leak that took out the plywood undersurface? Had there been a leak with considerable wood rot then there might well be a potential issue with wall delamination or other water damage.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
caw1916

Sorry my apologies, miss typed that, new roof coating only from being a natural AZ 5th wheel all its life and in the sun.