Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
terry and jo

What Modifications Have You Done and Why?

I know that some have had custom modifications on their orders for a DRV product. What I would like to know is what modifications everyone did and why you chose that mod.

For instance, Delaine and Lindy commented in a thread on the SOITC forum that they chose to use a TK frame and then use different elements of two different floorplans.

My question on that mod is why the TK frame and how is it different than other floorplan frames? Since more and more people are requesting different modifications, I thought this thread could be a place to hear about everyone's ideas of modifications.

Since Jo and I haven't bought our MS yet, everything we can learn is always appreciated. We want to have our unit modified slightly with some extra electrical outlets, perhaps different lights (incandescent instead of LCD or flourescent), and speaker jacks in the back corners of the unit for my Boston Acoustic tower speakers.

So, what have you all done or planned on modifying?

Terry

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
flycaster

We have an 06 36RS3.
We have added a 4 socket plug in the office area to have the ability to use our printer, computer and jump drive, another 12v plug in the office area to have access to our ipod and chargers instead of running a cord from front the closet. We also added mud flaps to protect the hydraulics for the landing gear from road crud, a front cover for storage, 3 solar panels with a 6000 wt inverter and 2 extra 6 volt batteries, removed and reinforced the steps (the welds were starting to break), had a door put on the upstairs tv closet with shelves and removed the tilt out laundry storage area in the dresser and had three drawers installed instead for more storage, and last but not least, we added a rear hitch so we can tow our jeep with us where we can.
We are full timers and just came back from a three month and three week trip through western Canada and Alaska. The only problem we had was a low speed blowout. The mud flaps saved the hydraulics and siding by deflecting the tire tread to the bottom. The cover in the front allows us to have a large covered storage area for bikes and other stuff. Having the solar allowed us more room in the basement because there is no generator.
As time passes I guess we will probably make more modifications like maybe a flat screen tv that swings out for more storage behind it.
We pull with an 06 Ford F550 with a custom rear box to carry tools, fishing gear and kites.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck
Rex and Nancy
Cody and Camille (the hairy kids)

flycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
Carny Bill

We just trade ours.....we are on our third unit.....just joking, but we do always have the entertainment systems omitted from the package. I always install my own, I am a HD buff and the TV's from the factory are not true HD. This last one I installed a 46" samsung (factory unit was a 34")in the wall and it looks fantastic. I have the fireplace omitted and have factory install glass doors with shelves for all the stero and various recievers. I also had a better roof top satellite dish installed. Had acrilic fabric used on the awning instead of vinyl. The facory will really work with you for whatever you want within reason...good luck with a unit....Bill
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
Gemstone

Along the same line as line as Carny, I wish I would have eliminated most of the factory items...like that famous B&D Coffee Maker, and the (IMO) worthless central vacuum system. We will have no carpet installed, opting for smaller rugs that can be cleaned without vacating the rig for a day while the wall to wall carpet dries. We would have no crank up antenna installed as we watch no over the air programming, we would have no silly 2' pipe installed in which you are supposed to fit a 10 or 20' sewer hose.
We did provide our own residential queen mattress and Whirlpool washer/dryer and had the dealer install them. But next time, we will provide a lot of our own furniture, and all of the entertainment equipment. We will provide the kitchen sink, and plumbing fixture, and the plumbing fixture for the bath sink. We will have more shelving installed in wasted space areas, like the bottom of the closet, top of the closet, top of the dryer. I might have a 4" schedule 40 pipe installed in some "wasted" space area, so I could store my fishing rods securely.

And, I'd insist on overseeing the entire build process, so I could ensure that no shortcuts would take place that would cause me grief later....like over-torqued screws, hose clamps left off or just not tightened, no screws (only tape) holding the duct work together, entertainment system mis-wired/labled.

Just what I would do, you may have your own ideas.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 12-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
BobW

First of all, the entertainment system we got with ours has all been replaced. The stuff that came from DT was cheep junk. We added a washer dryer unit. A Dish system and a flat HD TV in the bedroom. The 2 year old trash TV went out. Allot of other things were replaced because most was low cost junk. Order your unit without any accessories in it. You have no control of what will be provided by DT.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
missourijan

We have a tk3 model and added a shelf about 12 inches from the top of the washer dryer closet. I have baskets up there for storage. We had it plumbed for w/d but didn't order from factory. We picked up a compact front load washer only off the scratched & dented aisle from Lowe's. I hang clothes on a rack to dry and have no plans to add a dryer. We also added a small corner shelf on one side of the bed for clock or other stuff. One of the best items was a set of cabinet doors on the outside of the kitchen island. It's really hard to get something from the back of the cabinet. Thank you, Linda Webb, she thought of it first. If I had it to do all over again I would have eliminated the carpet in the LR, just have it on the slides and use area rugs. I would also not have paid extra for the "upgraded" recliners, I would have just gone to Lazy Boy or somewhere. I would have added the fireplace. I wish we had the option of graphics or paint. Our graphics are not wearing that well and one side was damaged by a hail storm, gotta get those replaced. I would have paid extra for paint. I also would have ordered a dishwasher, yes, Drv will put one in. Ask them any thing that is not on the options list, they may do it for you.
2012 Mobile Suite #5942
2012 Ford F350 Super duty
"We used to work, now we workamp"
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
buckwheat

On our 2008 Mobile Suite 3RLSB3, we needed more hanging space in the closet, so I removed the shelves at the left end and added a hanging rod. I also added some prefinished shelving from Lowes in the Kitchen over the counter (after removing the coffee maker) and this allowed room to store glasses, and several cannisters, as well as providing room for the toaster oven. This gave us considerable more usable counter space. I installed a hanging metal shelf, purchased from Lowes, over the slide out drawer in the basement and this gave me more storage space in otherwise unusable area.

FULL TIMER
buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote