Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2005, 07:05 AM   #1
KingRanch

Send a message via MSN to KingRanch Send a message via Yahoo to KingRanch
Dish Network or Direct TV

OK, I'm currently connected with Direct and the contract is finally up, I haven't been all that happy with Direct as every time I move to a new location I end up having to call the support center to get connected. I inform them that the receiver is in a RV and we are constantly on the move and I should not have to call every time we cross the country. After the struggle to communicate with the individual on the other end, they must shake a chicken over my receiver number and hocus-pocus, I'm connected again.
So here is the question, what has your experience been with DN and DTV?
Which has better service and functionality, which is the better value in your opinion?
Thanks

2005 M2 Sportchassie
2006 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #2430
KingRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:26 AM   #2
rverdlm

I've been with DirecTV since they first put their sat up and I've not had that problem. We've been fulltimers for almost 10 years and have traveled all over the country< canada & Mexico. The only time I had to call was after we came back from AK and had been off for about 2 months. I don't know what that had to do with it but that's what they said. It's probably part of their effort to stop hackers. I don't know much about the Dish Network, but until recently they didn't have the football package so they were not an option for us.

2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:39 AM   #3
jbeletti

John and Patti,

I got satellite for the first time this year. I got Dish Network service. It has worked fine for me every time out. I have never had to call them other than day one to sign up and last night to go into vacation mode ($5 /month to go dormant but keep the account).

When I signed up, I told them it was in an RV. I don't think they did anything on their end based on the RV though. I did not elect to get any local channels and I was not asked to send in an RV waiver.

I'm happy with them thus far. Best of luck in your decision to stay with Direct or move to Dish.

Jim
Old 10-25-2005, 12:39 PM   #4
Hobo

I have been with Direct TV for 8yr with very few problems. I pay direct to DTV and deal directly with them. If you signed up though a local distributor, dealer you are more at their mercy. My sister has been passed to 3 different dealers with her billing as one or the other has gone out of business. Each time service and procedures changed.

At this time my TV LMB is attached to my Direcway Internet dish and it is automatically set when I line up my internet. I don’t even go though a set up on the TV, its there when I turn it on. You can’t do that with Dish TV. If you’re looking at getting satellite internet some time in the future that is something you need to keep in mind also.

You my have a bad receiver that needs to be reset at times. I have seen when people have to unplug the units for 2 or 3 minutes to get them to work, other times the card had to be removed and reinstalled. Biggest problem I have had is connectors going bad due to corrosion.
Hope this has been helpful.
Rick
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:24 AM   #5
Motor31

It sounds like a bad receiver to me. I have had Directv for over a year and in more that 30 states as well as Mexico with no problems. I use an auto seek Winegard antenna (second trailer with one of these). I set up the system myself after buying the receiver from Best Buy. HNo hassles, no worries and no reason to call Directv once I was on the air. It was painless and quick to get the program.

When we looked at both Directv and Dish they were both the same as far as I was concerned. I talked to a couple folks and they said Direct was slightly easier to deal with fo RV'ers so I went with them. No regrets to date. If you are happy with the chanels, I'd look at the possibility of getting a new receiver, they are about $50.00 or so at Best buy or Circuit City. It may just clear up your problem.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:13 PM   #6
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
We shopped Direct and Dish, and chosse Dish for the TV. We have Direc for the internet, and when my contract time ends, we also will have Direc TV. I will mounted it to the internet dish also so I only have to align one dish and get both systems up and running.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:46 AM   #7
rverdlm

Does anyone on hear know if the internet dish will recieve the three satellites that are required for DirecTV HDTV?
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:40 PM   #8
KingRanch

Thanks everyone for the input, I'll try a new reciever and see if that clears it up.
I have a older Oval dish single line(sat110) tripod for those sites covered by trees, and have the InMotion dish on the rig. They didn't wire the external Sat line correctly so I setup a splitter & A/B swith from the cable.
I'm currectly hooked through the Oval and wonder if I should get a new dish & LNB as the inmotion has the switching capability.
Thoughts?
John
2005 M2 Sportchassie
Old 10-27-2005, 01:04 PM   #9
KingRanch

Thanks everyone for the input, I'll try a new reciever and see if that clears it up.
I have a older Oval dish single line(sat110) tripod for those sites covered by trees, and have the InMotion dish on the rig. They didn't wire the external Sat line correctly so I setup a splitter & A/B swith from the cable.
I'm currectly hooked through the Oval and wonder if I should get a new dish & LNB as the inmotion has the switching capability.
Thoughts?
John

2005 M2 Sportchassie