Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
caddojay

Slide opening while driving

We had a very disturbing issue while heading to our spot in Port Aransas Texas. While driving across the Causeway bridge, I saw the kitchen slide open itself and extended while driving at 55 MPH. VERY FRIGHTENING! The DW chose to ride in the unit (which is another issue with the rumbling unit, she says) and hold the slide in place. When we got to our spot, I crawled under the unit and took the panels loose to look inside. This was the first time I looked in the "portholes" and saw something that sickened me. The side is held in place with a 7/8" diameter square tube attaced on the motor with a simple screw squeeze collar. The tube separated from the motor unit and fell out of the ratchet wheel under the refigerator end. That's all that holds it in! The limiter bracket also broke free and the slide "could" have completely come out and fallen onto the roadway creating an incredible disaster. After I spent 2 hours getting the square tube back in place and the collar re-attached, it may hold. I'm making a trip to Lowes today and get a drill to re-install the limiter bracket after the "1" broken screw that held the limiter bracket in place. ONLY 1 small 14 ga. screw holds it on the slide frame. Not very sturdy, as I see it.
I'm also getting a 1" dowel rod and buying crutch tips to create a safety rod to wedge in the slide when it comes in. I'll wedge the dowel between the wall and interior portion of the slide. Just another issue with our unit.

Texas' oldest and only natural lake
caddojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
Diesel-Gypsy

...I guess you were a little freaked out when that happened!
Geez, now we all have one more thing to keep us awake at night...

I wish you luck with the repair & I hope it never happens to anyone else here.

Rick

Old 09-12-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
OB

Wow... Not good news. Rick I know your going to get under yours and check things out. Let me know if you find the same thing. If so, I'll find someone to get under mine and strengthen it. I'll be parked here in Tampa for the next 6 weeks. I also wonder if the same thing could happen on the other two slides. Thanks for the heads up. Cya OB
04 36TK3 #1207 w/5th airborne pin hitch
OB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
Motor31

OB,

I'd imagine all the slides are pretty much the same if you have all electric ones. I don't see the factory using 3 or even 2 different designs as that would increase their costs.

I definitely would be thinking about a "locking rod" for travel with them if nothing else.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
RonS

If using the locking Rod for your slides, dont forget to remove it before moving your slides out. Dont ask how I know this.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
caddojay

Well, I spent the day under the unit and investigating to limiters plates. Yes, our slides are the electric slides. I'm not aware of the hydraulic slides operation with the brackets.
Just what I suspected, one small size 14 metal screw is all that holds the slide bracket in place. After a trip to Home Depot in Corpus, I drilled a pilot hole and installed 2 additional size 14, self-tapping screw-bolts to the limiters. The bracket is the same bracket that is on the outside of the slide arms and controls the distance as the slide comes in. The bracket is a simple "L" bracket and has slots cut into it to allow placement and adjustment. The other issue of the square tube coming loose concerns me, as well. I mentioned this in the previous post. Has there been any others with a history of this occurring? There is no "collar" on the side of the tube that connects to the far end, away from the motor, and under the fridge side. It is simply stuck into the hole and has about 4 inches hanging out of the gear mechanism. I'm going to attempt to find a similar collar and add it to the tubes on both side to prevent this from happenning again. Our camera has died, so I can't send pics. I'll get some, soon.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
Diesel-Gypsy

Caddojay, I have investigated the problem area.
I would ask what you think actually caused the problem of the square-tube that connects to the gear to become disconnected?

Your problem was caused by something coming un-done to allow the slide to roll out on it's own.

I realize tha there is only a #14 self-tapping screw holding the slide stopper in place. That is not what caused the problem.

What allowed that square-tube in your case to pull out of the gear mechanism?

Your thoughts...?

Rick
Old 09-18-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
caddojay

I have the thought that the squre tube "shook" loose from the drive cam over a few trips. I had not heard any unusual noises when going in or out with slide. I believe the collar that holds it to the cam vibrated loose over some time. How much time is unknown. Our unit has been parked since May, and this is the first trip since then. It may have started when we were coming across I-10 from Florida in early May. Lots of bumps! Lots of other bumps coming across I-410 in San Antonio. Obviously, I blame the collar for not holding. Maybe a screw through the tube and cam would be extra insurance. I simply re-installed the collar and put loc-tite on the hex screws that hold the collar. I don't know where I could buy a larger collar with the same interior dimensions, but I would think that a larger collar with more torque on the screws would be beneficial.
The slide stopper was no doubt broken when the slide slid out in an uncontrolled movement. The side under the fridge came all of the way out, forcibly, and the other end came out, but not completely. Therefore, it came out in an movement that was uneven and twisted. The slide stop on the end that was not sheared off was at an unusual angle as if it had been twisted. I have gone back on all of the slide stoppers and added an extra screw in the part of the slide stop that did not have one. Hope this helps others. Again, ours is an electric slide and I have no idea how the hydraulic slides work.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #9
Diesel-Gypsy

Caddojay, while you were under your unit, did you notice that the insulation was soggy around those "port-holes" ?

I had lots of water between the insulation and that black plastic under-belly liner.

The under-belly is not well sealed at all, and is prone to allowing water intrusion.

I am working on a fix for my rig, and also adding insulation where the factory didn't.

Good luck with yours!

Rick
Old 09-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #10
caddojay

Not soggy for us. We haven't driven inmany showers for some time. That may change this weekend, though. The rear portholes were very dirty and full of dust.