Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
Vrabel79

Ford F250 TREMOR towing question

Hey all, I would really love some guidance here. I've asked a hundred different people and dealers and have gotten a hundred different answers. Like "that truck can tow ANYTHING" But I want to be safe for my family and everyone else on the road.

We're looking to trade up our newly purchased 34' travel trailer for a 5th wheel. I also recently purchased a 2020 F250 Tremor 6,7l diesel that also has the High capacity tow package. I'm trying to determine what factors are safe in the size of a 5th wheel, be it a toy hauler or bunkhouse.

I've gotten its the truck's payload (mine is 2,816 lb cargo door sticker in yellow), I've read that its only the pin weight and the trucks GVWR and Rear
GAWR (my GVWR is 10,800 and Rear GAWR 6,340lbs)

I'm also confused by the Ford towing guide, it gives this truck a GCWR of 30,000 lbs, you scroll over to mine (4x4 Crew Cab short box 6.75' and looks like the tremor drops to 18,100) but there is also a 1 next to the 30,000 for if you have the high capacity tow package. So what supersedes? The tow package or the Tremor package?

I would love to get a toy hauler, and have found one dry at 15,500 lbs and a pin weight of 3395.

Dealer also stated I needed a $4k "electric sliding hitch" Sounded like he was trying to make the deal bigger and I could just get a manual sliding hitch. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5232.jpg (233.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5233.jpg (187.1 KB, 4 views)

Vrabel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
Notanlines

Vrabel, we don't need to go any further than your pin weight vs your cargo capacity. The truck will PULL and darned thing you put behind it. But it won't HAUL what you're asking. Let's look at what you have for cargo capacity: 2,800 pounds to start with which has generally allowed for one 150 pound driver and a tank of fuel. You are buying a slider hitch of some sort, 200 or better, 3 more passengers at 500, pets?, miscellaneous crappola in the bed and in the cab, 200, and that dreaded pin weight of 3400. That puts you at 4300 pounds, a full 1500 pounds beyond the listed capability of your truck. And keep in mind you haven't even put your 'stuff' in the RV yet.
I'll ask this stupid question: What possessed you to buy the truck first and the thing it is dependent on second? Always buy the RV first and the hauler second.
Do NOT go online and get your capacity figures from the manufacturers site. Only go by the sticker on your truck.
And I urge you to go with an auto-slider ($!,600) or a manual slider ($500-1000) You do NOT need some electric slider. Look into the two auto-sliders out there.
But you either need more truck or less RV. And don't let some dumb-azz tell you that air bags and a couple helper springs and you're good to go. No you're not.

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:01 PM   #3
Vrabel79

Thank you Notandlines,

Well, got the travel trailer then the truck, quickly realized after a few months the trailer isn’t exactly what we wanted. Oh well. Now as far as the load, it’s 5 of us and 500lbs is pushing it as 2 are 3&4 yo. Figured the payload at 2800 would come into play there.
Vrabel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:37 PM   #4
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
The rule of thumb is not to even think about the unloaded weights always look at the gross vehicle weight rating on the trailer and then use at least 20% of that weight as your pin weight. Many are above 20% but at least figure that percentage going right in the bed of your truck. As Notanlines said, then you also have to add all the people, fuel and hitch plus the other things you have in the cab or bed. Might just for the heck of it load everyone in and fill up the tank and hit a scale just to get a start weight. You might be surprised.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5thwheel, ford, towing, tremor