Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
Roam America

Thetford Techma Toilet Controller

For those with the Thetford Techma toilets beware.

I have never had much confidence that the flush buttons on the controller would last very long. I felt that I had to press the button much too hard to flush. From my experience [a career in mainframe computer repair] these type switches have a short lifespan, especially when the button is used frequently.

My confidence was false. It appears that the controller is very cheaply made. New Year’s Eve I pressed the flush button and the entire controller disappeared into the wall. I found an old wire hanger and fished it out. The screws that hold the control module to the mounting bracket are extremely small (I had to use eyeglass screwdriver) and the tiny piece of plastic it they screw into broke. There was no repairing it. I tried a slightly larger screw but there was not enough plastic left for the screws to hold.

I sent a note to DRV explaining what happened to see if they had any in stock. I received an email early this morning from DRV that they would send me a replacement in good faith (I’ve had my coach just over 2 years). I never expected to hear that, I was completely prepared to call and give them my credit card for payment if they had any. Big thanks to DRV.

I’m going to buy another one just to keep on hand.

Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:57 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Buy a lottery ticket with that DRV luck. And you got through to them on Jan 4? Amazing.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:28 PM   #3
mdedgett

You are definitely lucky, those are very expensive. we have had to replace the silicon switch cover and the only way to get it is to buy the whole module.
mdedgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:30 PM   #4
Roam America

My only complaint getting through to DRV is their Technical Support. Nobody ever answers the phone nor returns calls. In my experience, other departments are very responsive.

As for the part, I told my intent was to order it but they said they would replace it. I had found it on Amazon for $137. It may be pricey but very cheaply put together.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote