Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > 5th Wheel Brand Forums > DRV | Formerly Doubletree
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #1
terry and jo

Sometimes Being an RV'er Just Sucks

A fellow just can't carry a big enough shovel to take care of accumulations of snow...

...I think @Cummins12V98 would appreciate this one.

On February 15, our cold weather and first snow started. Low temps that morning was about minus 7 degrees. At 4:55 am while up to go to the restroom, we had water. At about 7:00 am when we got up, we had nothing. In the past, we experienced low temperatures as low as minus 6 degrees, but no real chill factor. On those occasions, only the hot water line from the water manifold to the kitchen sink froze up. This time, all water was gone.

We bumped up the thermostat settings to our two furnaces and even added a small electric heater to the basement. In spite of temps in the underbelly of 47 degrees, we never thawed out. Thus, I began to suspect that our outside supply water hoses froze up, in spite of them being heat-taped and with two layers of foam tube insulation around them. The afternoon of the 16th, we went into town to spend the night at our youngest son's new-to-him house. We really wanted showers, I really wanted to shave, and we needed to see if his house had any freezing issues with such cold weather. The house was fine, the showers felt good, and this morning, I felt human again after shaving.

After returning to the RV the afternoon of the 17th (today) we discovered that our water was back. Apparently, even though the temps outside still aren't above freezing, the heat tapes did their job of thawing out the water supply hoses. I went out a while later to check to see if there were any leaks at the hoses or anywhere under the RV, and all is good there as well.

All I can say is that God takes care of old fools.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote