Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2022, 06:17 PM   #1
Firstfiver

Tips on making the bed?

I'm sure most 5th wheel owners have wrestled (literally) with putting sheets on the bed. Mine is an older one with a short queen bed nestled between two tall cabinets. Maybe there's 14 inches of space on each side and 12 inches at the foot of the bed. Anybody have a quick and easy way to do this? There must be a YouTube somewhere that demonstrates the "easy" way to do this. (Doesn't help that I'm talker than the ceiling and have to duck the whole time)

Firstfiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:18 PM   #2
Firstfiver

I forgot to add the mattress is pretty much tight against the cabinets which are about 18 inches deep

Firstfiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:32 PM   #3
CaptainPalapa

When I make the bed (my chore!), I pull the mattress out from between the built-in nightstands as much as feasible to still squeeze around to the other side. Then I lift a corner, pull the fitted sheet over it, and push it back down without letting the sheet pull back off. During this time, the mattress is usually at an angle. Then I go do the other corner. Then I do the bottom corners at the foot of the mattress. Then I use my thighs and shove the whole thing back into place. The rest is easy.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:40 PM   #4
SkeetandJudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstfiver View Post
I'm sure most 5th wheel owners have wrestled (literally) with putting sheets on the bed. Mine is an older one with a short queen bed nestled between two tall cabinets. Maybe there's 14 inches of space on each side and 12 inches at the foot of the bed. Anybody have a quick and easy way to do this? There must be a YouTube somewhere that demonstrates the "easy" way to do this. (Doesn't help that I'm talker than the ceiling and have to duck the whole time)
They're not cheap but we invested in a set of QuickZip sheets and love, love, love them. These sheets are sized for regular beds and for RV Queen size and RV king size beds.
Briefly the bottom 'fitted' sheet goes on the bed with the 'zipped' sheet. Top sheet is flat. When you're ready to wash the sheets, you simply UNZIP the bottom sheet (now a flat sheet) and you leave the fitted part of the sheet on the bed, never have to remove it. When washed and dried, you simply ZIP on that 'flat' bottom sheet. I LOVE them and no longer have to man-handled the mattress, ever. I'm able to unzip around the top and under the night tables that stick out over the mattress.
We have a 14-inch-thick RV King sized mattress with barely an inch between mattress and night table and NO problems. I literally make our king-size bed in 5 minutes by myself. It was well worth the money! (BTW I cheated when I ordered; only bought the base + zip sheet and I use the top sheet & pillowcases from my original RV king size sheets which never fit as well as this Zip Sheet. The bottom sheet stays nice and snug, doesn't slip & slide or get all wrinkly. You'll love them.
SkeetandJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:00 PM   #5
OneReallyOldGuy

Easiest way to change the sheets is let wifey do it. I’ll strip the bed, wash, dry, fold em up and put em away. But please don’t ask me to put em on the bed.
Phil
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:37 AM   #6
USA in a Chevrolet

Tip

Here is what we did. Put peel & stick vinyl floor tiles on the plywood under your mattress. Now you can slide the mattress forward towards you with just one hand. The top of the bed is now accessible. After you make the bed, slide the mattress back into place.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:28 AM   #7
tonyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPalapa View Post
When I make the bed (my chore!), I pull the mattress out from between the built-in nightstands as much as feasible to still squeeze around to the other side. Then I lift a corner, pull the fitted sheet over it, and push it back down without letting the sheet pull back off. During this time, the mattress is usually at an angle. Then I go do the other corner. Then I do the bottom corners at the foot of the mattress. Then I use my thighs and shove the whole thing back into place. The rest is easy.
I like the way you use your tights

tonyy is offline   Reply With Quote