Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2021, 02:08 PM   #1
hper7750

Reese Pin Box

Does anyone have experience using a Reese 5th wheel Pin Box on a 2020 or 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD short bed? If so, would like to know how the clearance to back of cab is for tight turns ( how close the 5th wheel gets to back of cab at close to 90 degrees). Also clearance of trailer to truck side rails.

hper7750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
terry and jo

What little experience I have with towing a fifth wheel with a short bed pickup is reading of them on forums and seeing one owner take out his rear pickup window when trying to get into a campsite. Tight turns will do it unless one has a sliding fifth wheel hitch in the back of the pickup.

And, I'm not real crazy about sliding fifth wheel hitches either.

As for clearance, just about all the newer trucks have higher beds than what there used to be. While I can't speak for other manufacturers, DRV Suites has begun to add risers (2-inch ones I think) to their fifth wheels to gain clearance over the bed rails of the pickups.

You might just have to see the model of RV you want sitting level somewhere and measure from the ground to the pin box. Then, get the measurement of the Chevy truck as to bed height. I know that some adjustment is possible with the pin boxes, but I don't know if it is enough.

Terry

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:44 PM   #3
hper7750

Thank you for the insight.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:55 PM   #4
fjr vfr

The heavy duty short beds are standard 6'+. The only reason I point that out is some of the 1/2 ton trucks really do have short beds...5' and 5'.5" beds.
Anyway if you have a newer 5th wheel with the rounded corners you should not have a problem. I can back beyond 90 degrees with my short, 6'4" bed no problem. I bought a slider, but have never used it in that position.
The biggest concern for you Terry pointed out. The new trucks are so high it's hard to get level. BTW, my truck is 4x2 and it levels nicely.
Good luck and do a lot of research before hand.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #5
hper7750

Thank you for your reply. I plan to research fully before making my decision.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:30 PM   #6
LUVNFUN

My setup is a 2021 GMC 2500 4X4, 6' 9" standard box, an Access tonneau cover, and a 2021 Jayco 310RLTS. After a lot of research, I went with a B&W Companion hitch and replaced the MORryde kingpin (standard on the Jayco) with a Reese Sidewinder. There is a little better than 6" clearance between the top of the tonneau rails and the bottom of the fifth wheel. I might not have needed the Sidewinder but with all of the things you have to be aware of while pulling and backing a fifth wheel, the additional clearance provided by the Sidewinder is comforting.

Good luck with your research and decision.
LUVNFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:44 AM   #7
terry and jo

Harry,

An update, now especially relevant after LUVNFUN's comment. I just heard about the Reese Sidewinder yesterday. It might be a pin box that would help you out with the short bed truck to where you wouldn't need the slider fifth wheel hitch. Here is a link to a video that "sort of" explains, but more relevantly, shows the advantage of the Sidewinder.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:21 AM   #8
hper7750

Was considering this but I read in multiple reviews that it utilizes a "wedge" that can come loose and cause a malfunction. Going to do further research. Thanks
Old 06-08-2022, 10:16 AM   #9
TravisCounty

I've got Reese 68220 Elite 20K hooking up to my 2020 Chevy c/cab 2/wd 1500. All seems to work okay so far . I did add some AC/Delco air shocks to help w/the weight. I do have a question for you. I've been told the wedge that came mine even though it does not contact the kingpin and the triangles on each side are secured next to my Reese 20K 5th/w hitch that it will force it to turn at the pin box. I'm going to try it tomorrow and let y'all know. Answers would be greatly appreciated...
TravisCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:48 PM   #10
fjr vfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisCounty View Post
I've got Reese 68220 Elite 20K hooking up to my 2020 Chevy c/cab 2/wd 1500. All seems to work okay so far . I did add some AC/Delco air shocks to help w/the weight. I do have a question for you. I've been told the wedge that came mine even though it does not contact the kingpin and the triangles on each side are secured next to my Reese 20K 5th/w hitch that it will force it to turn at the pin box. I'm going to try it tomorrow and let y'all know. Answers would be greatly appreciated...
Excuse me, but did you say a 20k 5th wheel hitch on a 1/2 ton 1500 truck!?
What size 5th wheel trailer do you plan on towing? And please do not reply with the trailer's dry weight. That's a fake advertising non existing weight that does not apply to the real world.
Any trailer I can think of that requires a 20k hitch definitely should NOT be hooked up to a 1500 half ton truck!
I hope you mis-quoted and meant to say 2500 or 3500 chevy?
Good Luck
Old 06-10-2022, 09:07 AM   #11
Notanlines

His RV has a gross weight of 9,995. You can do the math. Loaded, the pin weight will be about 2,200 pounds. Might be stretching his grocery-getter a little.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:16 AM   #12
fjr vfr

I guess? With the hitch, passenger, driver, cargo, etc. he'll probably have a payload in excess of 2500 pounds. I know I wouldn't do it, but that's me.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:18 PM   #13
TravisCounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
His RV has a gross weight of 9,995. You can do the math. Loaded, the pin weight will be about 2,200 pounds. Might be stretching his grocery-getter a little.
Guess, y'all must load up everything and the kitchen sink. My diesel 3.0 has a tow rating of 9,300/lbs. RV empty is 7,775. I aware of the limitations but when we use the rv we don't pack that much. Plus the rv has 16" rims w/Goodyear Endurance tires plus it also has 3.0/Moreride suspension. We are planning a trip to Lake Eufala AL. from n/central FL and i'll let everyone know how it goes. In the meantime y'all keep on trucking ...
TravisCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:16 AM   #14
fjr vfr

Your tow rating is not the big concern. Neither is your rv's tires and suspension. The main concern is the payload on your truck. Unlike a bumper pull which has about 12% of it's weight on the hitch, mitigated some with a weight distribution hitch, a 5th wheel has 20% of it's gross on the truck. In your case that's close to 2,000 pounds. Then you add the hitch weight, passenger, driver and anything else carried in the truck. That is your payload. Bring it onto a CAT scale at a truck stop. Spend the $10 they charge and I'll bet you're well over your truck's payload. Btw, on your driver door jam what is listed as payload for your truck? Is it over the 2,000 plus pounds you'll have on the truck? I bet so.
Also that 7,775 pounds listed as empty on the sticker, is in reality the trailers stripped weight as it leaves the factory without gas bottles, batteries, spare tire and any accessories. It is not a real world weight. I've weighed several of my trailers and found even when not loaded they were much closer to the gross than I would have thought.
Let us know what it weighed on the CAT scale. you can check it when you stop for fuel during your trip. Make sure each set of wheels are on separate pads so you'll know how much is on each axle. Also take the truck up by itself then do the math and you'll know how much the pin weight is. Let us know.
On another note: we tend to show more concern when it comes to 1/2 ton trucks. When someone pushes the limits on their 2500, 3/4 ton it's not as big an issue because all the heavy duty trucks have the heavy frame and full floating axle. 1/2 ton trucks have a lighter frame and a semi-floating axle. Sometime when you're near a 2500 just stoop down and look at the rear axle, then look at yours. Look at the frames too. There is a big difference. Check YouTube for semi-floating axle verses full floating. It should be interesting to see the difference.
Anyway good luck and hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.