Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Mick Meilicke

Slides Partially Opening

It my understanding that the bedroom slide must be fully extended before closing or else it will jam. How about the slide on the door and driver side?
Can you partially open and close these guys without causing harm?

Old 05-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
The View 5046

We just returned from the Drv factory and had a bedroom slide issue while there. The bracket which help pull the slide in and out was damaged while the Tech was setting the 5er down after doing all the repairs. The bracket was held by two short lag bolts. They fabricated a new bracket that has 6 longer lag bolts. We were told the bedroom slide should go out first and be the last slide in. They say that helps to push any air out of the system. Keep a check on the bracket on the bedroom slide which holds the W/D and the bed. If you 5er has the two lag bolts. I'm glad it happened at the factory.

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
terry and jo

Mick,

From what we've been told by different ones at DRV, there is a sequence for operation of the slides to help prevent air in the hydraulic lines. I don't remember if those sequences are here on 5th Wheel Forums or over on SOITC's website.

As for the bedroom slide, if one has a side bathroom, they have a "flow diverter" on the bedroom slide that requires that when extending or retracting that slide that it must be allowed to fully extend or retract without stopping or reversing it.

As for the issue of fully extending before retracting, I've not heard of that one before. I would contact DRV and see if there are any issues with what you are describing.
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
terry and jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The View 5046
We just returned from the Drv factory and had a bedroom slide issue while there. The bracket which help pull the slide in and out was damaged while the Tech was setting the 5er down after doing all the repairs. The bracket was held by two short lag bolts. They fabricated a new bracket that has 6 longer lag bolts. We were told the bedroom slide should go out first and be the last slide in. They say that helps to push any air out of the system. Keep a check on the bracket on the bedroom slide which holds the W/D and the bed. If you 5er has the two lag bolts. I'm glad it happened at the factory.

Lindy,

I'm presuming that you are referring to that bracket that is external of the coach and located at the back of the bedroom slide. Did DRV speak of doing anything in the way of reinforcing existing brackets? I have to wonder if the bracket was damaged because the bedroom slide was extended. Do you happen to know?
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Motor31

I had been told that the sequence was slides farthest from the pump be activated first. In our case that meant door side, kitchen side then bedroom and same sequence in retracting. This was supposed to help bleed any air in the system.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
USA in a Chevrolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31
I had been told that the sequence was slides farthest from the pump be activated first. In our case that meant door side, kitchen side then bedroom and same sequence in retracting. This was supposed to help bleed any air in the system.
We were told by Lippert that we should extend bedroom then kitchen then dining room. For retracting, start with dining room, then kitchen, then bedroom. We had a problem with the dining room slide coming out an inch or so when we traveled. We were told to follow that order & to also go bump each of these slides again after level up & fron jacks were fully retracted. This took care of our problem.

Has anyone else been told the same thing?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
RickandJanice

We were told by Lippert that we should extend bedroom then kitchen then dining room. For retracting, start with dining room, then kitchen, then bedroom. We had a problem with the dining room slide coming out an inch or so when we traveled. We were told to follow that order & to also go bump each of these slides again after level up & front jacks were fully retracted. This took care of our problem.

Has anyone else been told the same thing?[/quote]

We have been told the same sequence by three different sources; DRV, TrailAir and Lippert.
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
The View 5046

Terry I really don't know what or how the bracket was damaged?? Delaine and I were out walking and the tech (Fly) was setting the Suites up after they a finished when we returned they had fibracated and bracket that has 6 Lag bolts instead of 2... I had heard of this problem before.. But had never seen it...

Trailer Saver TS 3
Old 05-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
The View 5046

We also were told bed room slide out first and in last.

Trailer Saver TS 3