Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Gemstone

Valve stem failure

Been parked for a while.....time to start getting ready to get ready to head to Yuma....checked the tires....back side of rig, the side I only go to to dump....found rear tire almost flat. Aired it up, along with the others, next day, it was down 5 pounds. I religiously run 125 pounds in them. Took it off, took it to Goodyear shop in Golden....bad gasket on the metal valve stem....they had to order one from another shop....took them an hour overall, and refused to charge me....
Might be a good time to change all the valve stems....

I inquired about replacement 17.5 Goodyear's....he said they are still manufactured in the US.

Regards
Gemstone

Old 10-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
Cheif 2

After I had a valve stem get sheared off by a rock in Canada, I have made it a point to carry four spares with me. They are readily accessable from any NAPA store and not that difficult to change out providing you have an adequate air source to air it back up. My International has the on board compressor, so that makes it much more convinent.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Motor31

Valve stems for the different wheels may make the replacement a bit iffy. I have the "Vision" brand aluminum wheels on our rig. The folks that designed it decided in their finite "wisdom" to put the stem location on a curved surface instead of a flat surface for the gasket to bear on. When I replaced tires I also started to replace gaskets. I had to go to a trailer supply store in Tucson to get gaskets thick enough to do the job. Later in July I broke a stem and was able to get a replacement from a Les Schwab store. If you have one of their stores in the area they are a good source for replacement tires as well since they deal in big tires as well as regular car tires. Places like Discount tires do not.

The all rubber valve stems also do not have a 125 to 150 lb rating, they max out at 100 lbs.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote