Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2021, 09:34 PM   #1
TMag

Maiden voyage Issues

Well we picked up our new to us 2017 Mobile Suites and made the 4hr trip to the campground just fine. Some embarrassing rookie mistakes, that I will not mention, but overall a success.

As i was charging water supply to the refrigerator, on city water with a regulator in place, my wife noticed water coming from under the stairs leading to the bedroom.

Probably 3-5 min went by from opening the valve to the ice maker until the leak was secured.

Any tips on how to get everything dried and the fridge pulled out?

Its a Whirlpool residential fridge. Looks like it will hit the kitchen island when pulled out <gulp>

Worried about wood rot and mold

Thanks Folks
Tom

TMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:37 PM   #2
TMag

Currently consulting with Don Julio on the issue. brb

Old 01-30-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
Notanlines

Tom, the best you can do is open everything around the area and put a box fan on the area for a good two days or so. Because the fridge is in the slide the water line to the icemaker has to move with the slide and often times will kink and break. You probably learned that first-hand. I wouldn't attempt to slide the fridge out just to dry things out. Don't forget to open the access panel on the outside, right behind the fridge while drying.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:20 AM   #4
TMag

Thanks. We did just that. It appears to be mostly dried out bit we will leave it going. Its raining pretty good today so i havent checked the access panel yet. I assume i can get to the fridge water connection through that panel?
Old 01-30-2021, 12:44 PM   #5
Notanlines

Yes, you can.
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:37 PM   #6
terry and jo

Just as an FYI TMag, but if you have to remove the refrigerator, it probably involves removing the doors. We have a 2010 MS 38TKSB3 in which we replaced the original RV fridge with a Samsung residential unit. The doors even had to come off to get through the RV entry door.

To aid in putting in the residential fridge, we had a 4-wheel furniture dolly and I made an "insert" that would fit into the "opening" between the 2x4's at the sides. That dolly and insert was just right to lift the refrigerator to the height of the compartment where the fridge was to go. It was just a matter of moving the fridge around the end of the peninsula counter and get the left side of the fridge into the compartment and then swing in the right side of the fridge.

Here are pictures of the 4-wheel dolly and insert.

As an additional FYI, that same dolly system worked well when we needed to replace the washing machine. That was also near the same height to match the floor of the washer/dryer cabinet floor and trim. It let us remove the washer from the cabinet and then get a two wheel dolly under it to get it down the stairs.
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #7
Cummins12V98

The frig will come out just fine and not hit the Island. Personally would not worry about it, place a fan in front of it and remove the bottom coil cover/screen.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:39 PM   #8
TMag

Thanks for the dolly tip. My next project is washer/dryer install.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:18 AM   #9
terry and jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMag View Post
Thanks for the dolly tip. My next project is washer/dryer install.

You are welcome.

A funny aside from our experience of removing the original RV fridge to replace it with the residential. We found a similar one at Sears or somewhere, and I measured and measured the fridge and the space for the fridge. I was really concerned that the handle on the bottom drawer freezer was going to hit the cabinet when the slide came in. I measured and measured for that one as well, with the conclusion that I might have 1/4" to 5/16" of clearance, which would need some foam placed between the fridge and cabinet when traveling.

I manage to forget completely that I had to raise the refrigerator 9 inches off the floor to get it into the fridge compartment, thus my concerns were for naught. As you can see, the drawer handle came out above the cabinet and counter. (Oh, and I never even considered whether it would hit the counter top instead. God looks out for fools like me.)

A suggestion for your washer/dryer install. Check to see where the slide support is and place the washer over that. With ours, the wife has complained numerous times that when they installed our set, they should have reversed the location of the two so that it would be easier to move clothes from the washer to the dryer. Now, she realizes that the washer is getting support rather than weighing down a corner of the slide.

Terry

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote