Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2013, 03:25 AM   #1
SuiteShopping

Will a Select Suite 36TK3 give me quiet retreat from noise?

Will a Select Suite 36TK3 give me as much quiet at night as a Mobile Suites or Elite?

I ask because I am very pleased with a 2007 36TK3 Select Suite 36' model I found but several experienced RVers have told me, "That's the bottom of the line. Wait for a deal on a Mobile or Elite if you want solid construction and quiet."

This RV is for long-term, year-round living on a single site. I heard that the Select Suites used double I-beam instead of box-beam----but will that truly impact my quiet (and my sense of being inside a more "house-like" structure in terms of sound transmission?)

I am a little concern that the 14,640 weight of the unit might represent less wall/roof/floor and insulation thickness???

And that reminds me, is the insulation difference or quality in Select Suites less than those of Mobile and Elite? Is the Select more likely to have wall-condensation issues in eastern Texas winters about 100 miles from Houston? Or are they all much the same for that use?

I have wondered why people dismiss Select Suites as "it was the bottom of the line" ---because I don't care about the luxury features.

Considering that I don't need highway durability and the 2007 Select Suite seems like it should suit me, is there any truth to their concerns at all? Are there any important downsides to the Select Suite? (And I can't put off a purchase and search forever in hopes the right Mobile Suite will come along----unless it truly is a much more "full-timer" unit.)

Any and all advice appreciated! Thanks.

SuiteShopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
terry and jo

As far as I know, the Select Suites had the same wall thickness and insulation that the Mobile and Elite Suites models. I'm not sure that it has a "double" I-beam as I've never actually looked at the Select Suites frame, so I can't say too much on that. We started researching in 2008 and bought in 2010.

You might also consider registering over on the SOITC (Suites Owners International Travel Club) forum. I know that there are at least a couple of Select Suites owners there. I've seen their rigs at a rally or two. I just don't remember their names right now.

Personally, I'd never slam the Select Suites. I think the quality of build is still there, but just without the more luxurious appointments inside. As for looking, also check out Rolling Retreats in Elk City, OK. Alicia and Slade were buying Suites at auction and fixing them up before becoming full DRV dealers. They also have some used models, although they are likely to be Mobile or Elite Suites in the DRV line.

Terry

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Gemstone

You mention a "single site"....if you are not intending to be "mobile", why not consider something more suited to a "permanent" installation, such as a Park Model ? The model shown in the link was from a website of a dealer in Rockwall, TX. They are available from various dealers.

Park Models do not come equipped with costly to replace, often single source RV appliances, such as refrigerators and heating/air conditioners, and in my opinion would be a better investment for a permanent installation.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 10-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Motor31

The difference between the "levels" is in the fluff area more than anything else. By that I mean the exterior and interior decorations as well as some of the stuff they put inside the rig like flooring. They do not have the capacity to run a lot of different assembly lines for the basic structure. They all have cheap and easy fiberglass batting all around, other than the slide side walls. Those and the slide floors / ceilings have air space. No room for that pesky insulation. You may notice a change if there are single pane vs dual pane windows but that will be minimal as is the insulation effect of those expensive gadgets.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
hitchup

In 2009 models, the wall insulation was increased from R-13 to R-16. Up until that time and when the Select was dropped and changed to Tradition (R-11 walls), I think they all had the same rating. We seriously considered one, but decided to order a Mobile Suite instead of a Select. But we were coming from an Elite Suite and the pricing was much better on the MS for us.

You may get some Window sweating, but I doubt any condensation on the walls. The lower weight isn't just from smaller tires, lighter frame, but from the interior materials (more foam moldings, less hardwood) to construct the unit.

There are many days I barely hear outside noise. Except when the guy next door drives into his Toy Hauler with his Harley.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
SuiteShopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchup
In 2009 models, the wall insulation was increased from R-13 to R-16. Up until that time and when the Select was dropped and changed to Tradition (R-11 walls), I think they all had the same rating. We seriously considered one, but decided to order a Mobile Suite instead of a Select. But we were coming from an Elite Suite and the pricing was much better on the MS for us.

You may get some Window sweating, but I doubt any condensation on the walls. The lower weight isn't just from smaller tires, lighter frame, but from the interior materials (more foam moldings, less hardwood) to construct the unit.

There are many days I barely hear outside noise. Except when the guy next door drives into his Toy Hauler with his Harley.

Thank you for the very helpful information!

(I appreciate everyone's comments and for specifics like these.)

You've helped me to make my decision. I plan to inspect the unit tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Joezilla

We fulltime in a 2012 Select Suites 38TKSB3. It is VERY well insulated from heat, cold, and noise. Like others have said, the main differences in the Select, Mobile, and Elite is in the fluff stuff and decorations. The Mobile and Elites do have a thicker frame too.

We love our Select Suites!!

Joe
Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
SuiteShopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezilla
We fulltime in a 2012 Select Suites 38TKSB3. It is VERY well insulated from heat, cold, and noise. Like others have said, the main differences in the Select, Mobile, and Elite is in the fluff stuff and decorations. The Mobile and Elites do have a thicker frame too.

We love our Select Suites!!

Joe
Thank you very much for your information, Joe. That is very helpful for me as I make my final decisions.

You folks have been wonderful to this newcomer.