Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2024, 09:08 AM   #1
UPSGUY

Tow vehicle question

Hi everyone, first post. I’m new to the 5th wheel world and have a couple of questions. I’ve got my eye on a 37’ trailer with an almost 2,800# hitch weight and a GVWR 16,500. I’d like advice on the tow vehicle. I’m planning on a one ton diesel but not sure if I need a dually or single wheel? Also, short bed or long?

UPSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 11:16 PM   #2
fjr vfr

Well, if your gross weight is 16,500 your hitch weight will be 20% which is 3,300 lbs. Don't go by the sales number. That number is the factory assembly weight and not actual real world. They like to use assembly line "dry weights" and for sales purposes. When you get it weighed you'll find the pin weight will be about 20% of gross no matter how lightly you load the trailer.
Next you have to add in the hitch itself, all passengers and anything in the truck. In the end I'd guess your total payload will be over 4,000lbs. Probably around 4,250lbs.
Some srw one tons can handle it...not all. You can't go wrong with a dually.
Most of these trucks will be long bed, but standard beds are an option if you have a newer trailer with the rounded front.
Good Luck
P.S. Don't trust the advise of sales people. They will tell you anything in order to make a sale.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote