Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2005, 10:55 PM   #1
jauth

2006 Newmar Warranty

The 2006 model 5th wheels will only have a 1 year warranty...The Kountry-Air will be the Top of the Line with a 2 year warranty instead of the current 3 year warranty...The New Model Line will be a 1 year instead of the current 3 year warranty...Looks like they are trying to cut cost....Maybe a Mistake!!!! A lot of Rvers buy Newmar because of the 3 year Warranty.....I would think some of us will may start looking at other Brands of 5th Wheels.....We have a 1998 London-Air 41 ft. that we plan to keep for a long time yet....I was talking to Newmar by phone today with customer service and got this information....So it should be correct....Has anybody else have any News about the 2006 Models......Jim---

jauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:43 AM   #2
JPHarris

Sorry to hear this, we have been looking at the Kountry Air for our next rig. The 3 year warranty was a very attractive feature. Newmar may have just lost a convert.

Cape May, NJ & Fort Myers, Fl. and anywhere else we decide to roam.
JPHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:52 AM   #3
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Could it have been that they have tracked expenses over the life of the 3 year warranty, and found that they are spending a lot more money in that 3rd year? They would save a lot by cutting out that problem year. It would then be smart for us consumers to purchase that extended warranty to cover the expensive time of ownership. Was in Camping World recently and heard a couple replacing their refrigerator because of some problem, $1600.00 BUCKS!!! I have to believe the extended warranty would have covered something like that for just the deductible.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:57 AM   #4
Motor31

Stripit.

You are right about the extended warrantee on a fridge. The fridge is the single most expensive item in the rig. After looking at a lot of units I was seeing prices of $3000.00 to over $4500.00 for some of the newer fridges.

In our old "training" rig we had a fridge give out on us. It cost me $100.00 for the repair. The extended warrantee took care of the other $750.00 it cost to put in a rebuilt cooling system in the fridge. For that purpose alone I'll buy a extended warrantee. I just won't buy it from a RV dealer. I can buy it just before the factory warrantee runs out from other sources. I don't like paying for 2 warrantees on the same rig at the same time.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:05 PM   #5
jauth

Newmar Warranty!!!

My friend has been to Newmar 4 times in the last 9 months for warranty work on his 2004 Kountry-Air 5th Wheel....The problem is that they are very dysfunctional when it comes to repairs..They cannot seem to fix it right the first time..They need the Organization Skills that the Japanese are noted for....What is also scary is that they have some new management people that have come over from Fleetwood....I realy think they are going to shoot themselves in the foot with this approach...Fleetwood screwed up the Avion,s when they moved the plant from Omaha in 1995-1996....The later models of the Avion !998-1998 had front pin box and front frame failure...Blamed it on M.D.T. tow vehicles...When the problem was they change the gauge of steel they were using on the pin box and front frame to cut cost...Big recall....I sure Hope Newmar has put a lot of thought in this decision on Warranties...They are making the new line with a reduction in overall cost to the cousumer...I hope that does not mean a reduction in Quailty...I do not see how you can have both.....But the top of the line Kountry Aire will be the same for now except for only a 2 yr. Warranty in 2006 ....Jim...
jauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:13 AM   #6
drdcbs

Send a message via Yahoo to drdcbs
I believe that a warantee is a good thing. But, I believe quality is a better thing.

"I believe" when someone trys to sell me something based on its warantee they are telling me that their product will likly break sometime within the warantee time frame. I do not want to buy anything where someone starts telling me about it shortcomings.

I know things break. I try to buy quality. That does not mean it also won't break given time but "hopefully it will be WELL outside any warantee or even extended warantee.

drdcbs is offline   Reply With Quote