Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
syringa

Send a message via MSN to syringa
GMC Integral Brake Controller

HI to all . I am new to this forum and must say "What a help it is!!". I just took delivery of a 2008 32TK3 ser # 4005.. I am in the process of purchasing a 2008 GMC duallie with a integral brake controller.. Are there any issues with this controller setup?? II have heard of Ford having problems but can't find info on GM only that it says "may not be compatable with some elec/hyd brake systems". It is not convinient to try the truck on my fifth wheel before purchase so any info sure would be apprecated..

syringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
SYRINGA
If you do not have electric over hydraulic brakes on the suite ( disc) then you have no problem at all and they work great.

However if the unit you have has disc's then you only have a few options.

The carlisle brake controller does not work. I just found this out the hard way and even if it does it only holds maybe a pint of fluid at most. I chose to go with the Active brake controller because it holds at least a quart.

I then went the Brake Smart because it specifically states that it is compatible with the Active and vise versa and the Carlisle does not.

As far as instillation is concerned. If you have the integrated controller then there are specific steps that need to be taken.

If you did not have the integrated put in then it's simple.

Good luck

Ponch

Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:14 AM   #3
RodeWorthy

Re: GMC Integral Brake Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by syringa
HI to all . I am new to this forum and must say "What a help it is!!". I just took delivery of a 2008 32TK3 ser # 4005.. I am in the process of purchasing a 2008 GMC duallie with a integral brake controller.. Are there any issues with this controller setup?? II have heard of Ford having problems but can't find info on GM only that it says "may not be compatable with some elec/hyd brake systems". It is not convinient to try the truck on my fifth wheel before purchase so any info sure would be apprecated..
Hi syringa,
Welcome to the forum. I have received a lot of help here too. And congratulations on the new 32TK3. Enjoy!

As Ponch mentioned, you did not say if your trailer will have hydraulic disc brakes or electric. The feedback I have is that the IBC controller works great for electric brakes. The brake works proportionally to the braking effort of the truck and no frequent gain adjustments are required. You should have no problems if your brakes are electric.

The IBC is not endorsed for use with hydarulic brakes - GM has stated this and Carlisle has retracted an earlier statement that endorsed the IBC for use with their HBA-16 acutator. Doubletree recently put out a statement stating the Ford and GM Integrated Brake Controllers are not compatible with the Carlisle HBA-16.

Some people are using questionable tactics to trick the IBC (e.g. placing a brake magnet in parallel with the hydraulic brake signal) to make it look like electric brakes. I hesitate to even mention this and definitely do not recommend it. A controller designed specifically for hydraulic brakes should be selected. Brakes are serious business.

Even when you do select an 3rd party controller there is another gotcha. It is necessary to cut the blue brake wire that goes to the IBC module located on the frame above the rear tires on the driver side. A new #12 wire must be run from the new controller to the trailer plug. The IBC module is by-passed, not bridged, so it is necessary to cut the blue wire coming in and going out of the module. GM does provide a 5-wire bundle under the dash that is blunt cut and ready for connection to the truck's 12V system, the 3rd party brake controller and the new brake signal wire to the trailer connector.

GM has put out a technical bulletin on this. It is intended for use by trained technicians and is a little cryptic but you can figure it out. It seems the most important message is that the work is done at the request and expense of the customer and is NOT a warranty item.

I ended up using a P3 controller because I was in a bind and it was available. It is working well enough that I will keep it until I can evaluate other 3rd party controllers. There are new controllers now available or will be soon. The P3 requires a horizontal installation - it must be pointed in the direction of travel and should not be tipped left or right. This would indicate it uses a decelerometer to determine and deliver the level of brake signal required. It is not easy to find a place on the new GM trucks where this can be done. I ended up placing mine on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. I used a clam shell mount I had on hand to allow this. The P3 does not have a flat surface anywhere on it which made mounting the unit difficult with anything other than what they provide.

I hope this helps. Let us know what you end up with.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
rdunk

Quote: "I ended up using a P3 controller because I was in a bind and it was available. It is working well enough that I will keep it until I can evaluate other 3rd party controllers"
.................................................. ...............................
Rodeworthy, just save yourself lot of time and unnecessary hassle by going ahead and getting yourself a Brakesmart controller. You can install the Brakesmart upside down and sideways, if you have to. None of this "have it level", or "install it looking forward" mickey mouse stuff. Yep, the Bralkesmart does cost more than most brake controllers, but the Brakesmart is generally accepted (by the RV community) as the best on the market, and ------ the best almost always costs more.

Rodeworthy, in buying the Mobile Suites, you paid a lot more by buying "one of the best", and you got more by doing that. It is the same way with brake controllers. You get more for what you are paying for, with a Brakesmart -----
* works with both hydraulic and electric
* installation not positionally oriented
* max braking on Tow vehicle always = max braking on the 5er
* a real proportional controller, on the operational basis of the tow
vehicle's hydraulic brake pressure
* setting the "gain" simply spreads the "spectrum" on the controller for
0% to 100% braking
* etc. etc. etc.

Yes, I am a little biased, since the Brakesmart is the only controller I have used, other than Ford's Integrated Controller. I have the Brakesmart installed over the Ford controller. Works better than the 05/06 Ford Controller.

I actually chose the Brakesmart because I consider it to have the best design for safely stopping, when we need to stop.

FWIW!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
RodeWorthy

Robert,
Thanks for the 'promo' of the Brakesmart. I agree that it is highly regarded but I would contest that there is any general concensus in the RV community on this topic. About as much agreement as what is the best tow vehicle. I think the Brakesmart is a great unit. When I first started researching these things the Brakesmart had been pulled off the market. I think it was due to looking for a new manufacturing facility as opposed to any technical problem with the device. Good to know they are back again.

I like that you said the braking was "proportional on the operational basis of the tow vehicle's hydraulic brake pressure." Proportional is a mis-leading term unless it is stated proportional to what. Personally, I like the idea of my brakes acting proportional to how much pressure my foot is experting on the brake pedal and with minimal delay. The Brakesmart should come close to that but I also like the concept of the Jordan if it ever gets back on the market with a unit capbable of being used with hydraulic disc brakes.

There are several others that are interesting including the Hensley TruControl that was designed by the developer of the Brakesmart. I owe it to myself to find out what this guy thought he could do to make a better controller. But who knows, a Brakesmart could be in my future.

The P3 was not my first choice -I had not even researched it. It was just there when I had to move my trailer and had no brakes. That being said, it has provided adequate braking for the limited towing I have done which has not included any signifcant grades or, thank goodness, any panic stops. I am not promoting it or dissing it.

Anyway we need to put the thread back on topic and respond to what issues can be expected when using the Integrated Brake Controlles with our trailer of choice.

Regards,

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote