Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
BobW

Broken shock mount

Checking under the RV yesterday I found a shock mount cracked at it's attachment point. Not to sure what I'm going to do, but, looking at it, I can see that there is an unused mounting hole on each side of the bracket. If I just switch the bracket to the other side, I could get by without any welding. Anyone know what will happen when I remove this bracket? The axel is on top of the spring. so I think jacking under the spring will work.

2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
billr

Is it broke off on the bottom spring plate or the top mount where its welded to the frame (and I use the term welded very loosely!)

Either way, jacking under the axle or spring will change nothing for replacing the shock. You need to lift the trailer at the frame. The shock may not have that much compression in it, you may be able to pull it without jacking and compress by hand to install.

Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
bstark

Bill; he's got, what sounds to me to be the same clamp plate with 2 "ears" on it for the lower shock mounting and removing and swapping it for one from the other side would then allow him to use the 'other' ear for the shock mounting without having to go get another plate or weld repair. I performed that same operation on my trailer last fall on the way to Yuma.

I hooked mine up to the truck and jacked the frame as jacking the axle inboard of the spring clamping plate could bend the axle. I borrowed another jack to use in concert with my big air jack to alter jack the wheel up and then removed the wheel and released the jack to allow the axle & spring to drop down to relieve any weight from that axle end. The complication with this repair is the center point air suspension has to have the weight of the trailer off it on that side by lifting the thing as much as you safely can by the frame or it will simply keep rotating weight towards the axle you attempt to take apart.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

shock mounts

A word of caution on reusing the axle u-bolts--most, if not all, spring/axle shops will NEVER reuse a u-bolt. They supposedly stretch the first time in use, and do not re-tighten correctly in re-use. Just a thought.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
BobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstark
same clamp plate with 2 "ears" on it for the lower shock mounting and removing and swapping it for one from the other side
Correct. It's the lower shock mounting bracket with two ears. Now I need to get a jack that will handle all this weight.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
billr

Bob, What Joe said....new ubolts are a must. They are cheap to buy at any spring shop.

To pull the plate off, you have to follow Bruce's advise on jacking. Unless you have the Level up...then just need a small bottle jack on the spring pack when you pull the plate.

When I changed a broken leaf, I used some timbers and two 20ton bottle jacks to lift at the frame for and aft of the wheels. To un-weight the springs.

Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote