Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
layne

electronic/entertainment center

Hello again. Another question even though we don't have our elite suites just yet. Anyone have the home that has the electronic system in the bedroom closet area that runs the entertainment center? I think it would have to be the 07s that are being built recently. How does this work for satellite. We are getting the satellite dome so we don't even know how that works since we've always used the dish that we found the signal on. Do you put your receiver in the living room to operate? How does the remote work all that stuff that stuff that's in the bedroom closet? Not very saavy about electronics......thanks.

layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
Gemstone

Whatever you do, check each and every function of that entertainment center before you leave the dealership. On our trailer, the factory did a very poor job with these electronics. Video control box wired wrong, mis-labled cables, etc.

Regards

Gemstone

Old 12-12-2006, 10:48 PM   #3
larry hutto

I see you are 2701. My 38 is 2705 and the wiring was absolutely incredibly redicuously wrong. I had to just about totally redo it. It was as if whoever did it had a grudge against his boss or something. Finally got it all untangled and wired correctly. Hopefully that is all a thing of the past now with these suites.

While I was aghast at the lack of care about workmanship on that item and several warranty items, I would still do it all over again. We love our unit.

Have a nice day
38RL3 #2705, 99 Ford 550 fontaine modification airbags, transferflow 35 gal auxillay tank, figberglass bed, pullrite 25K lowprofile hitch
halftimers
larry hutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:43 PM   #4
rjttam

Layne, I believe the individual that designed the intertainment systems for DT had just enough electronics experience and knowledge to be dangerous. Many and I repeat many (not all) units from DT have had some problems with their video/sound systems. I'm speaking of units built in 2005 and prior, the're a nightmare to try and figure out. If, as you say, you're not electronic saavy, then I would suggest that you hire an RF expert to help you clean up DT's mess. I had to spend several days getting my 36 RE3 wired to work satisfactorily, and I'm still not real happy with it. Good luck..
need be.
rjttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:57 AM   #5
rdunk

Just for a "fair and balanced" report, we have had several typical problems with our RE3 during the past 1 1/2 years, but the entertainment system hasn't been one of them. Our installations include all of the standard stuff, plus wiring for a second satellite tv receiver in the bedroom. Everything with this system has worked just like it is supposed to.

Now, the above takes care of the system functions. On the mechanical side, the entertainment system switching box installation has failed, and is now resting on top of the satellite receiver. I am sure the failure is a result of a combination an unsatisfactory mounting, which uses staples for attachment, and the rough roads we sometimes encounter. Screws should have been used to mount this device, and that is what I will use to repair this installation.

FWIW!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
jack_diane_freedom

Our experience with our 2005 36TK3 has also been positive. Electronics worked very well with no problems including the installation of a Wineguard Satellite dome with receivers in both living room and bedroom. My opinion would be it depnds which so called installer does it at Doubletree.
jack_diane_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:12 PM   #7
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunk
Now, the above takes care of the system functions. On the mechanical side, the entertainment system switching box installation has failed, and is now resting on top of the satellite receiver. I am sure the failure is a result of a combination an unsatisfactory mounting, which uses staples for attachment, and the rough roads we sometimes encounter. Screws should have been used to mount this device, and that is what I will use to repair this installation. FWIW!
rdunk, Mine did the same thing over 2 years ago and I suggested they use screws. Well over 1000 units later I guess they still didn't take heed.
I also applied glue before I screwed the board back in place. If they at lest put some liquid nails on before the staples it would stay together. The coast of time and money for that would be negligible.
I also had to do some rewiring on the sound system. Long, long time to NOT have something down pat yet.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #8
Motor31

I have a very late 05 RE3 and the switching box as well as the shelf it is mounted on were secured by screws. It was necessary to remove the shelf screws to get to the rats nest of wires that were behind it so I could trace the coax leads including the one left un attatched to anything. It took most of a day to trace down the coax wires and set them in the box in the proper locations. I was amazed I had had TV at all previously when I got done with the job. I still cannot find the coax that is connected to the outside "satelite" tie in. It's not in the bundle of wires behind the entertainment center.

I now have a switching box that allows me to change feeds from the outside "cable" receptical to the overhead wingard satelite antenna. Now I can set up the portable antenna on the ground and don't have to go up on the roof to tie into the coax when I am blocked by trees for the roof mount. Not using a switching box would mean having to swap the coax feeds on the main box since there aren't enough tie in locations on it.

I also removed the signal splitter that had been installed backwards on the line that provides the signal from the batwing antenna to the TV's (front and back). Using a splitter like they did degrades the signal strength.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
Wife of Big Doofus

Ok, I left the dealership with my new 07 36sb3. Now I am on the road & don't have any idea how to use the entertainment center. I hooked up the cable to my outside connection that says "cable". Now can anyone tell me how to set all of the switches inside? I tried looking through some of the books but it shows me how to use the TV, but not the boxes. Or maybe I need a some kind of a cable box? I thought I could just hook right up, but maybe I'm wrong. Good thing I didn't have the satellite installed, I would really be lost. I did get the DVD in the bedroom to work last night.

Thanks.
Melody
Wife of Big Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
Okie

Melody,
I don't have my trailer in front of me right now, it's in the shop getting the last of my warrenty items taken care of. I will try this from memory.
Looking at the front of the select switch you will see it is divided into three sections. Section #1 feeds your livingroom TV, section #2 feeds your bedroom TV and the AUX is not usually hooked up to anything unless you want to have a TV in the basement or something. When you want to watch TV in the livingroom select which sourse you are going to use, Antenna, cable or Sat., that will feed that item to the TV. That is the same selection for the bedroom TV on section #2. The DVD player goes into the TV on a second hookup on the back of the TV so it doesn't go through the select switch. You have to use the TV remote and select the Video 1,2 or 3 that you DVD is hooked up to. Mine goes to Video 2 but thats not always the case for all our hook ups, it depends on which plug they used in the back of your TV. Turn on your TV with the DVD going and try the selections to see which it is on. But it is fairly simple once you figure which line goes where. I hope this isn't confusing and it helps.

Okie
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
Wife of Big Doofus

In the '07 all of the equipment is located in a cabinet in the bedroom. THere is nothing that says cable. There are several different boxes & not sure which boxes need to be on & what they need to be set to. Still haven't gotten it to work.
Wife of Big Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #12
layne

We had a problem at first with one of the smart sensor boxes and Steve called the factory where they walked him through re-connecting cables from one source to another. The guy who does the electronics is Terry and he's really good about telling you exactly how to do something. I guess he's still there. I will tell you how they are going now, but don't think it will help because of the way he had to by-pass the box. (We had to have some of those connector cables that have red and yellow ends on them that plug up.)

This is the way it's working right now:

Winegard box is on with the Main TV pushed to TV Ant; VCR pushed to TV Ant; TV2 pushed to TV Ant

Highes Satellite box is power on.

Smart Source 100HD is off with no green lights burning
Smart Source 200--green lights on Sat for TV1, TV2, TV3, TV4

The AV unit can be off or on as can the Sony DVD player. We leave ours on because we play music a lot of times, but it doesn't have to be on for the TV to work.

Steve put a hole with a vent in the wall because everything in there gets really hot and then he seperated the units with pieces of wood and velcro so they could get some air. We are still puzzles over how to play a movie in the bedroom and have satellite in the living room and also if a DVD can play without surround sound. These are questions we will be asking when we go to the factory for repair on May 8th.

I can't say enough good about how patient Terry was with us and how well he knew he stuff about the entertainment center.
layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:38 AM   #13
igotjam

remotes

OK not to beat this topic to death, but I'm having trouble getting much to work. I have an 07 with stuff in the bedroom.(no satellite just basic 2 tvs) I have 4 remotes (2 SAmsung for the TVs, 2 sony for DVD/CD and AVsound thing) The DT provided instructions seem to indicate that a universal remote is required to operate the system in place of these 4? My dealer has no clue...Am I reading the directions incorrectly??
igotjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #14
anijet

I called DT and asked for a block diagram of the system. They couldn't provide me with any simplified or detail schematics so I asked for simple instructions. I was able to get the system working using the latest faxed instructions from DT but half the time the Harmony remote would go stupid and I would need to press help and answer the questions to get it to work again. I've decided to forget the A/V and smart boxes. I finally have it so I turn on the TV with the satellite remote and use just that one remote for channel and volume. I really don't want all the fancy stuff, I just want to watch TV without a hassle. I believe in the KISS principle. Too bad DT doesn't.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #15
anijet

I called DT and asked for a block diagram of the system. They couldn't provide me with any simplified or detail schematics so I asked for simple instructions. I was able to get the system working using the latest faxed instructions from DT but half the time the Harmony remote would go stupid and I would need to press help and answer the questions to get it to work again. I've decided to forget the A/V and smart boxes. I finally have it so I turn on the TV with the satellite remote and use just that one remote for channel and volume. I really don't want all the fancy stuff, I just want to watch TV without a hassle. I believe in the KISS principle. Too bad DT doesn't.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:32 AM   #16
igotjam

What is the Harmony Remote?? Something else missing from my unit?
Old 05-13-2007, 08:54 AM   #17
RodeWorthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotjam
What is the Harmony Remote?? Something else missing from my unit?
It looks like this:
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...97207290yHCFaz

Rodeworthy
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:58 AM   #18
igotjam

Maybe that's why the DT directions on system use don't make sense. The 4 remotes I have do not include this. I guess I'll add it to the growing list of items missing from my trailer.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #19
PSD_Tweaker

Send a message via MSN to PSD_Tweaker
I need help installing a Sattelite receiver box in the TK3

There are two out-side coax connection choices.
One is cable, the other sattelite.
Using the Sattelite coax tie-in outside, where do I pick it up inside?
The switch box has a SAT selection, but I need to run the Sattelite antenna feed to the receiver box before I can route the signal to a TV.

How do I do that...?

I'd like to do it properly instead of a red-neck installation...

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Rick
1998 VOLVO VNL/610. 425 Volvo HP with 13 speed, 22.5 Alum. Traction Control Equipped,single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE 30K 4 way rocker-hitch,DrawTite Activator II. sink, fridge,TV/VCR,microwave,
dbl.-bunks, back-up cam. DT 2004 MS TK3 #0996
https://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com
PSD_Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #20
sigo'suite

It should terminate at the rear of your video distribution center, in the cabinet with all the other equipment.

sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote