Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #1
mwturner

Okay, I'll start this one out.

Background- Started pop-up camping with Dad and Mom back in 1969 at Tablerock Lake, Branson, Missouri. We had a Ford Country Squire Station wagon, with four siblings, one dog, and a hard top Starcraft.
1992 got marryed to a city-fied girl and it took three years to convince her to go tent camping. Most of the time we spent in screened-in shelters rather than on the ground. One too many wet sleeping bags I guess.
Nov 2002 I played the sneak approach with this one " Hey Sweetheart, come take a ride down the freeway with me? I want to show ya something." The next thing she knew we had a new Colemen Carmel pop-up behind her soccer mom Caravan. Man was she in seventh heaven, no more sticken to the sheets cause we had air conditioning and a stove and a sink and "Oh my God this is wonderful", I think was her exact words.

Dec 2004 Everytime one of those big beautiful 5er's go'es by I here the same comment, "Honey when we begin to have grandkids and I'm going to want to take them camping with us, I hope you don't think we will all be staying in this little tent on wheels.

April 2005 Walked in one afternoon and announced ," Well sweetheart, you can kiss the soccer mom caravan good-bye". She screamed , "Oh babe your finally gona get me my Lexus?". Uh, no, not exactly, but I am gonna get something to take care of one of your request. And off I go to get the BIGGEST, BADDEST, HEAVEST, dodge pickup they make. Pulled in the driveway at the house with a solid white, 3500, Cummings turbo diesel, four door, long bed pick up and got the front door slammed in my face. I hear through the door this very loud voice a screaming, "I hope you enjoy that monster allot cause that's were you'll be sleepen tonight, bud". I replied," That monster is gonna pull one of those BIG BEAUTIFUL FIFTH WHEELS and those dern grandkids you keep egging me about. Oh man, she come out that front door faster than water off a duck. Dern near knocked me flat on the ground a hollering and a carrying on. This festive little mood held up real good until we took our first little trip out with the pop-up. I've never seen a women bounce in so many ways. That truck had to be the roughest riden son-of-a-gun she'd ever been in. She said thank God she didn't have false teeth cause they'd been broke to pieces by the time we got to camp. I just thought it was kinda funning watching a little short legged city gal trying to get into that dually and then seeing all those things move on her that I ain't seen move in years (she told me they was broke and I believe her). Dern near got in some serious trouble for laughing out loud, heck I couldn't help it.

So as ya'll can tell we just starting out on this here 5er adventure. Got the truck, Got the gal, (No grandkids yet, I don't think, not sure) so now all I have to do is figure out what to get so we can be 5er's. Sure seems like theres a ton's of choices as far as hitches and stuff. I'm hoping that someone might strike up a conversation and be willing to put up with some dumb questions. Sure don't want to spend money foolishly and don't want to listen to some B.S. from some salesmen.
Ya'll enjoy God creations and creatures. and be nice to the folks camping out there with ya. Who knows , it might just be their first time!

Old 05-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #2
5thwheeler

Welcome to 5thWheelforums.com - We had good luck with B&W on our last truck be we adapted the 5thwheel to a goosneck so I can't comment on their companion 5thwheel hitch. From what I understand it simple attaches to the turn - over ball making it simple to install/remove since it has no rails.

5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 08:00 PM   #3
al k

We have been happy with our 04 Carriage Cameo LXI, and are also pleased with the B&W companion hitch. Good luck in your search.

04 Carriage Cameo LXI 34' 34ck3, Trailair pinbox, Pressure-pro tire monitors,rear camera, Mor-ryde re.
al k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 08:20 AM   #4
rverdlm

We've been doing the full time thing in a 5th wheel for ten years. Started with a 15K Reese. It made a lot of noise when turning. Went to a 20K Reese. Good hitch. We now have a Trail-Air. If I'd known what I know now I would have started with the air hitch. It's much better for the trailer. Lets face it, you're spending a lot of money for a truck and trailer. Why scrimp on the hitch?
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
Hobo

I have the Reese 20K hitch and have been very happy with secure laching ability.
I do agree that if you have a MDT or HDT you will need to go with a air hitch to protect the tailer.
I have heard of trailers droping because the hitch didn't latch propeerly. Not sure what brands they were but would think it was not a Reese the way they work.
I have also seen them fold sideways when backing at angles so I sugest a size higher then just what is needed to towe the trailer.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:52 PM   #6
glav

Air Hitches - Trailer Saver (TS3)

I upgraded to the Trailer Saver Air Hitch. Was able to put it into a 2003 Dodge Dually 3500. Towed a 15500 lbs 5er (AutoMate 34') to Nova Scoia and then this summer to Alaska. It is a very good feeling seeing the hitch pin just floats. The trailer has air ride also. So every thing just floated down the road. I bought the hitch mainly because the Dodge was a 6 sp manual and every little crack in the road, I could feel it tugging on the steering wheel. Never felt it on my 95 Dodge w/automatic tranny. The only problem is the weight of the hitch. Nearly 375 lbs, had to add Air Lift springs bags. Don't think I would do the Air Lift thing again.
Gene
glav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:50 PM   #7
RodeWorthy

Glav,
Thanks for posting the report on the Trailersaver hitch. I am still waiting for information about this hitch to arrive from the mfr. I was really surprised to learn the hitch is that heavy. You put it to good tests on your trips to NS and AK. Sure would like to talk to you about those trips sometime.

Quote:
Don't think I would do the Air Lift thing again.
Can you elaborate a bit on why you feel the Air Lift did not meet your expectations?

73, OM
RodeWorthy
VE3GP

RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote