Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
2 DA WDS

3 Slide Problems

1. My door side slide is very slow going out. As an example, if it takes 30 seconds for it to come in it takes 60 to 90 seconds to go out. I have not actually timed it but that is next. I THINK, not 100% sure, that this started after I got the level up system installed. I took it to a local SOB dealer recommended by Lippert and they adjusted the slide and said that was the problem. After I got it back to the campground and tried putting them out it was still SLOW. I'm thinking I have a valve thats not functioning properly.

2. The hydraulic ram for the bedroom slide keeps coming loose at the stationary end. It then pops up from its mount and when I try to bring the bedroom slide in the steel framing hits it and stops. I have to then get under the bed and loosen the nut on the end and push it back down. This had happened several times.

3. For RE3 owners. When I bring the kitchen slide in the wall below and behind the sink buckles as it comes in. I can see this as it clears the refrigerator enclosure. I can also hear what sounds like wood 'crunching'. Any one else experience this.

2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
keithandpenne

DA WDS

For the slow slide movement, I would think about checking the knob on that slides control valve. If it is not fully seated, it could cause some of the pressure/fluid flow to be vented, causing a slow movement. It wouldn't take much to make a big difference.

As for the bedroom slide ram, we had ours do the same thing three years ago. It caused the fitting to be sheered off by the mounting channel, causing all of the fluid to leak out all over the bedroom floor. The factory made the repairs and put lock-tite on the threads. No further problems since. You might use another nut and lock washer or a ny-lock nut to lock it.

Cant help on the last issue.

Good luck and keep us posted

2005 36TK3 #1855
2008 F450 CC Lariat
keithandpenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Motor31

Da Wds,

I think you need to look inside the pocket door opening for the center of the street side slide. Push the doors to the side (left) and look at the bottom of the slide wall there just behind where the sink is. There is an piece of angle aluminum there. That is whet the slide actually has in contact with the rollers in the center of the slide itself. If that angle aluminum (about 3" to each side) has come loose from the wall the slide now has the weight of the center resting on the cheap thin plywood they used to make the partial wall surrounding the center pocket door. This is very ungood and will destroy the slide and floor if left in that condition. That angle aluminum is only held in place by screws to the wood behind the sink. In our case only 3 small screws and the heads of all the screws popped off letting the angle aluminum move to the left away from the wall and out from between the center wall and rollers.

I had this happen to me and had to fix it myself when the dealer in Montana said he had a 3 month waiting list for non buyers in his area.

I pulled the pocket doors out of the wall and set them aside. I then used a hammer to beat the aluminum back in position. I had access to a 90 degree drill and used 6 heavier self tapping screws to lock the angle aluminum in place. I had a post with pix about that repair a couple years ago. It may still be on the board.

If you have the means to raise the sldie a bit in the center it will be a lot easier to put that aluminum in position.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
billr

Tom,

Ditto on what Keith said on the BR slide, add a lock nut to keep it from backing off. There were several that had this issue. I put one one on to avoid it 3 yrs ago.

I have also had issues with the door side slide being slow. I will have to re-check the valve relief knobs. But have also had luck lubing the seals with silicone spray. They can stick pretty good. It helped. There is a lot of surface when you consider the length all the way around the slide to drag on the seals.

Good luck sorting it out.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
2 DA WDS

keithandpenne,
I checked the valves and the fluid level. At first I thought that the ram might be leaking but the fluid level remained steady so now I'm thinking possibly a faulty valve.

Mike,
I have an RE3. No pocket doors. But I think you may be onto something. I can remove the panel under my fridge and see the backside of the sink cabinet.
Another problem I have is that the street side slide actually hits the door slide at the front top when both are in. I had thought that the buckleing and crunching was from the slide resting on the edge as it came in. But if the outside of the slide was too high then the weight would be on it and the roller that is under the inside edge of the sink cabinet and stressing the sink cabinet.

Billr & keithandpenne,
I was trying to over think a cure but if loctite or double nut worked for you I'll give it a shot.

Thanks all.
2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
sr

Tom, do you have the Stage 2 of the levelup? Stage 1 allowed for the possibilty of the frame twisting depending how you used the levelup. If so, this might be what has caused your issued with the slides. However I don't see how it would cause the slow movement. Sounds like you might be on the right track with a faulty valve. You might give Dale Fenton a call or Bob Tiedge. Bob is involved with the Levelup with Dale. He is an Engineer for Lippert. Last resort, call Lippert. If you need some work done on the trailer I would highly recommend Indiana Interstate Enterprise RV. Paul Cross id the Owner and he used to work at DRV. He is very good and knows the product inside and out. He is located at Lagrange Indiana. (260-463-8100)(www.crossrv.com)
2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Motor31

Da Wds,

Different floor plan then, sorry no help.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote