Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > 5th Wheel Brand Forums > DRV | Formerly Doubletree
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
jdwilson3

A/C troubles

Last August (2006) our front 13.5K AC was replaced for a siezed compressor. Our ES was built in 05/06, and I took delivery 06/06, so that unit lasted just 2 months.

June 16th, in Roswell New Mexico, our first night out, front AC wouldn't start. 10 days later, when we got to Pennsylvania, it was diagnosed as a fried capacitor and hard start relay. Dealer replaced the part and it worked fine until about 10 days later when we were in Virginia....Got up in the a.m. to a warm trailer. Checked the thermostat and there was no display! Of course, neither AC will run. I did the reset procedure and instead of reseting, got a reading of EE, (after the FF when I let the top and bottom buttons loose.

After talking with Dometic, I removed the covers and checked both the wire from thermostat to rear AC and wire from rear AC to the Front AC, however the connections were tight. Then unplugged the wire from the rear to the front AC, did a thermostat reset, and the rear AC started up fine. Figured we would take care of the front when we got back to AZ.

We were in Midland Texas when the rear AC (15K) quit....now here I was in Texas in July and I got NONE!

Next day (Saturday) we left a 4am and drove 566 miles to Benson AZ. Was not going to spend another night south of the Canadian border without AC!

Today 07/24, service tech went on the roof and we tried to run the rear AC, and it was pulling 75 amps trying to start. He did a check and the compressor is siezed. Checked the front AC and it too is siezed.

We had good voltage in all RV Parks, and we did not have any thunderstorms in our area. Service tech tells me Dometic will replace the AC units, because they do not do Compressor replacements in the field.