Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
berghild

Send a message via AIM to berghild
charging house batteries while driving

we have the 2003Duramax 3500 , where is the fuse that makes it so the house batteries charge while we are driving. If we drive with the fridge running off the inverter, the batteries are done when we arrive. We unplug as much stuff as we can. Cyndy

EDGE CHIP,exhaust brake,ATS tranny, ATS turbo, AFE sir filter
ETC
2008 36TK3 ES3917/no granite
berghild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

charging batteries

Cyndy,

Most trucks don't put out enough amps to do more than maintain a battery charge state, even if very little is being used. You can't get enough power from the truck to do any more than that. First thing to do is check the direct 12 volt line at the plug in the bed--it should always be hot if the vehicle is running, but not if it is off. No power at the plug, no hope of getting power to keep the batteries up. If the plug is hot, then you have to look in the owners manual to locate the fuse (and there may be more than one).
Do I understand you to say you are running the refrigerator on 110 volt house power from the inverter? If so, you will never generate enough truck power to make up the loss. Is this part of your ongoing refrigerator problems?

Going from the tow truck to the batteries to the inverter to the refrigerator is very inefficient, there is too much resistance loss in the process. Using 12 volt from the batteries is much better, that MAY be offset by the power from the truck. AND, you need to start off with fully-charged batteries.

Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
anijet

Under the hood on the drivers side, pull the lid off the fuse/electrical box. I sold the '04 over a year ago but from memory I think there should be a 40 amp fuse in the inboard forward position. I believe this is for trailer charging current. It may be marked Stud #1. This fuse is not installed from the factory.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
jdwilson3

Why not run the 'fridge on propane?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
berghild

Send a message via AIM to berghild
battery

I NEVER run the refer on propane while towing.
Driving from AZ to San Carlos Mexico we ran a longer day than usual so i ran the refer off the house batteries. It was too long of a day and it dragged them down quite a bit. Usually I just leave it off while towing or on the batteries if a short trip....they hold pretty well. I guess it was because it was such a long day (for us, we never go more than 4 hours or so)
Now I know that it won't charge the batteries as fast as I am dragging them down. it is a big refer...but thanks for telling me the location just in case I ever need to replace it.
Oops, I just remembered we forgot to turn off the freezer that is in the storage compartment during that trip down....there's a bog part of the problem...that and all the phantom loads that we think we have off and we didn't.
EDGE CHIP,exhaust brake,ATS tranny, ATS turbo, AFE sir filter
ETC
2008 36TK3 ES3917/no granite
berghild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:57 PM   #6
BobW

Re: battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by berghild
I NEVER run the refer on propane while towing.
Always have and always will unless someone comes up with why I shouldn't. I've been doing it for 30 years and never heard of a problem. Sure there could be a problem, but about as much as a gas tank blowing up in a car. Tell me why it's Ok to live in a 5th wheel with the propane on, but not while your towing. And don't tell me that the flame will go out and blow the mess up. Just fairy tail.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:27 AM   #7
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Why aren't you running the fridge on Auto?

Running on auto will automatically put the fridge on propane while towing. That's the way it was designed to be operated.

I'll bet that is at least part of your fridge problems. jmho :)
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Motor31

The only reason I have found to have the propane off while traveling was during fueling operations, tunnels that require it and using a ferry to cross Puget Sound that required it. Otherwise I drive with the fridge on auto and no problems with the batteries. I also do not charge them while traveling. I never hooked up the charge line as the house batteries should maintain a full charge for a day's travel with nothing other than the fridge and sensor draw. Everything else is turned off including the water heater and furnace.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
jdwilson3

I always tow with my 'fridge on propane (AUTO).
I do not tow with the water heater or furnace on, because I don't need too. Can't see any reason to heat my 5er while it is going down the road. Water heater probably would not stay lit, but I don't know, because I usually use electric for the water heater.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
CherriandBob

We have been know to travel with the furnace on. Nothing worse then getting out of a nice warm truck and climbing into a really cold camper in the winter time. We also travel with the AC on for the oppisite reasons. When we went through Arizona in August a couple of years ago it seemed to make sense. Besides, it is good to run the generator once in a while.

Cherri
SOITC Charter Member #2730
Central Division
2006 38RL3
2004 Freightliner M2
robertsqualityrv.com
Enjoy life...Keep it simple
CherriandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
jdwilson3

The solution to driving with the furnace running is DON"T TRAVEL WHEN IT IS COLD!!! :D

You're correct about the Generator, it should be run monthly, and I believe 30 minutes or to operating temperature.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #12
Motor31

We never travel with either the furnace or AC on. The slides cover the outlets and in the case of the AC most of the inlets too. Besides we don't have a gen set built in anyhow. We have found that the furnace does a great job of warming up the rig after we stop if we were traveling in cold weather.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
NEPATSFAN

Check out Battery-to-Battery chargers from Sterling Power USA, or if you really need 100's of amps of charging power while driving down the road check out the Alternator-to-Battery charger they have.

I haved the Battery-to-Battery charger in my bus. It charges a 24v auxilliary bank at around 20 amps per hour while I'm driving the bus to the Patriots game.

http://www.sterling-power-usa.com/

or

http://sterling-power-usa.com/altern...ychargers.aspx

Multi-stage charging, without plugging into AC power! sweet for tailgating every weekend and not worrying about my batteries being charged.

-Jeremy

NEPATSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote