Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
jtm62942

Transfer Switch

Where is the transfer switch located? Any suggestions on how to find it's location?

jtm62942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
RonS

Transfer switch for what?? What are you trying to do?? Little more info and someone will jump in and help.

06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
BlueSkyRanch

A transfer switch is commonly used in a motor home where you have 2 sets of batteries. One for the house and the other for the motor. The transfer switch is used for 2 reasons. One is for charging the batteries. The transfer switch allows the charger to change the motor home batteries, then transfers to the house batteries. The second function is for starting the motor home. Should the motor home batteries be too low to start the MH, you push the switch and it connects both banks of batteries together to start the MH.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Walt

I think he is referring to the automatic transfer switch that automatically switches between a Generator or shore power.
2019 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #396674
2022 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 DRW 4WD
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
jtm62942

transferSwitch

Sorry for confusion... I'm referring to the electrical switch that automatically switches RV power from shore power to generator power.
jtm62942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
golf_bears

On my RV it is located in the basement. Open the panel doors and look way back in between the furnace and the converter. There will be a black box about 8"x8"x4" and that will be the transfer switch. It is really difficult to get to, really in a bad spot. DRV should have put it just behind the panel doors. There was a guy at the rally in Colorado Springs that had relocated his to just behind the panel doors, did a great job and it was really easy to service if one needed to.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
Vern

DRV uses the transfer switch as the "whole house surge protection system". Why, I have no idea because it does not provide over or under voltage protection. Hence, no time delay. I did two factory tours and saw them installing TRC surge protection units and assumed that was what was installed in my unit. Not so!! When I realized I had no time delay, I looked to see why.

I have no on board generator so a transfer switch is pretty much useless. I replaced it with a Progressive Industries 50 Amp Surge Protection Unit and I really like it. I also installed their remote meter unit so thatI can monitor usage inside and outside the coach.

As a side note, my unit had cable slack on both ends. So, it was easy to put the unit closer to the sliding door.

Later, Vern

Vern is offline   Reply With Quote