Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
jcasey

Questions about option choices on Mobile Suites

We are about to order a new Mobile Suites today or Friday. We still have option decisions to make. So, we hope some of you can offer advice or comment.
Thanks in advance--your comments likely will be very benefical and informative.

1. Tire monitoring systems? How well do they work, etc.

2. How about Power Management, which organizes power usage?

For example, if one has one or two air conditioners on and turns on the tv, microwave, and/or coffee maker, power management distributes the usage so one doesn't trip breakers. This, apparently, this is more apt to happen when on 30 amp than 50 amp service.

3. There is a newer 12 volt water pump that keeps pressure even throughout the trailer when there is more than water draw happening at the same time--like shower and kitchen sink.

4. Built in surge protectors?

5. Any other options yo would recommend or comment upon?

Many thanks.

2011 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke F350 Super Cab, AT, DRW, Lariat. with Ride-Rite Firestone Air Bags. Used to tow 2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5568, which is equipped with Center Point Suspension, Trailair Hitch, Level-Up, dual pane windows, Satellite Finder, 17.5 Tires, Dual Air, Valley/Husky 24,000 5th wheel hitch.
jcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
Gemstone

As valuable as those options may be, I would order them in the after market, or at least price them in the after market, before I would order from the factory...with the exception of the water pump...I would include that with the order. Options are usually where the factory has a huge markup.
Options I would not scrimp on would be the running gear....axles, brakes, wheels...get the biggest, best you can afford. Get the largest refrigerator they offer.....look hard at your cooking practices...will you use that gas oven ? We haven't used ours in 4 years of fulltiming...we use the convection M/W or BBQ for everything.
If we were to order a new rig today, it would be without a lot of what folks would refer to as standard equipment....no bedding, no entertainment system, no recliners, no coffeemaker, no washer/dryer....at least, I would not buy what the factory offered....I would purchase on the open market, at better quality and better price. Whether the factory would install the items I purchased has not been tested by me, however I know the dealer surely will.

FYI...Several used rigs are available between Casey's and CW in the Golden area...

Good Luck
Gemstone

Old 07-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
morscuba

Gemstone is correct with the suggestions he left you. If you can afford to purchase some things seperately you'll be a lot better off. Tire Press Monitor.. The factory system is 'ok" but I ended up getting the Pressure Pro.. and I wouldnt be with out it. The electrical management system I know nothing about. I do know that everything works great 2 A/C's micro etc etc. I did install a heavy duty surge and low voltage protector,,,again wouldn't be without it. The mattress that DRV supplied was just replaced after two years,,(it should have been canned 18 mo ago.). The water pump is a stock sur-flow and I am satisfied with it.. Someone can shower and use the sink at the same time. I didn't get the ladder or the roof rack because you have to carry a ladder for the front and sides anyway. Got the autotrack sat tv and am happy I did. As Gemstone said.. Spend your money on the best you can get wheels, suspension and running gear. In the long run you will be happy. Only thing I disagree with is the Frig..I have a standard 10 cuf and am fine with that.
Of the things I wish I had and don't.. The levelup..
Good luck and happy traveling..Hope you enjoy as much as I have.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
hitchup

We have the PMS. Apparently the first ones like ours were wired wrong, but that's another issue. We had major problems in our Elite when hooked up to a 30 amp. So thinking we have a generator and occasional use on 30 amp, it was worth it.

Tire pressure monitors can be ordered aftermarket. And I'm with Gemstone. If we hadn't needed furniture in our trade-in, this one would have been ordered without any furniture. We replaced the bed mattress after only 18 mos.

Fridge: hate the water in the door. The newer ones may have improved, but most had leaks. Do like the 4-dr layout better, but we already had to replace the flap. It was covered under warranty, but had to wait a very long time for it to ship to a dealer for us.

And from what we've experienced and read, many options are available that aren't listed on the sheet. Such as Elite features on the Mobile or vice versa. Just ask and DRV can give you a price. We had them work up the Quote with options, then thought about it a week before we placed the final order. It helped us make sure it had exactly what we wanted. But there were some other things we could have changed if we would have thought about asking in advance.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
jdwilson3

Installed (hard wired) Surge Protector...if it is a SURGEGUARD brand, go for it. If you buy the one you plug in at the pedestal, when you are in a park with short pedestals, your surge guard will lay on the ground...it is supposed to be verticle in use. The surgeguard will protect against under/over voltage which may save your AC units.