Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
RodeWorthy

Repairs to Furnace Heat Ducts

When I took delivery of my 2007 MSRS3 I noted that the plastic heat duct from the furnace was poorly routed from the furnace to its connection point at the metal infloor ductwork. The duct was mashed severely between the bottom of the central vac and the wooden deck over the gray tank. It was also crushed right over the top of the brake acutator. This duct had more than 1/2 of its diameter restricted in two places. I made a mental note to change that.

Now 3 years later I have finally done it. I discovered the problem was worse than I thought. The duct closest to the sliding doors had large tears in them dumping most of the heat into the basement and the other main heat duct was crushed to half of its diameter under the black tank dump valve. The problem was aggrevated by seemingly haphazard placement of hoses and extraneous wiring which seemed to be going everywhere.

I decided to lower the wood deck, where the brake actuator and water pump mount, down and out so that I could get space to route the duct behind the actuator - not over it. That worked out well and the added bonus is that it is much easier to service the brake actuator fluid levels now. I also shortened the deck (and tapered it) at the furnace end to provide a clear path for the ducts under the central vac unit.

I couldn't find flexible duct in 6" diameter so I repaired the old one. Pictures tell it better than I can so check out these pictures to see how that was done:
Furnace Duct Repairs

Had a chance to check out the results this past week and we are getting a lot more air from the furnace into the living space now. If you are experiencing low air flow you might want to check this out as a possible reason.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
golf_bears

Great looking job!!!!

Are you at the CO rally? If so what site #?

golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
RodeWorthy

Sorry Golf-Bears - We are missing you again! The calendar ran out and we are back in Canada. Hope you have a great time at the rally. We will keep an eye out for you next winter. I still owe you that brew :)

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Gemstone

Kinda makes you wonder about all the other stuff you can't see....that they are counting on no one ever finding....
Old 06-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Motor31

Makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy about that Amish construction doesn't it.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Jack in Alaska

Quality

We heard all about the Amish "QUALITY WORK" when we were back at the factory in 2004. Apparently it has not improved much. We were told that the older Amish men did good work but their off spring were not worth killing. That seems to be true with most young folks. No pride in their work. Put in their time and run with the money.
My TV fell out the bottom of the cabinet. Paul Cross was there then. He saw my cabinet and went over to the very guy that had made it and "chewed him a new one". The worker was a young Amish man.

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote