Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
Crazy_Canuck
Boondocking

winter storage

hey yall i am up here in Canada and looking for some info on winter storage. Just bought my first 5th a 2004 keystone outback 28' unit. for winter storage is it practical or necessary to cover the unit with a tarp? i was told to drain everything then run som rv antifrees in then drain everything again and leave the plug out of the water heater, but is the tarp thing necessary? also what do some of you do to ensure rodents stay out of the camper during the off season? thankx to all for there reply's.

Crazy_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I was told the simplest way to winterize the Rv was to park it under a palm tree.

But, covers have a tendency to not fit tight and and with the slight movement will cause wear spots in the finish of the trailer. They could do more harm than good. Don't know about rodent proofing?

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
RickandJanice

Ditto on the covers and the palm trees. I don not have the option of palm tree storage either :( . Besides rubbing the trailer finish, covers can also rub through and tear wherever there are sharp points (corners, awning rails, antennas...).

I feel that the RV antifreeze should be left in the lines to keep the fixtures and pump seals moist. Have never had an issue with doing this.

As for keeping mice out, I have never had much of a problem. Some people recommend dryer fabric softener sheets, or squirrel pellets. I just make sure I have everything edible and all soaps removed and fill any openings or gaps with expanding foam. If you store inside, you can also put D-Con aroung the inside walls of the building, not the trailer. Good Luck!!
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
Crazy_Canuck
Boondocking

thankx for the replys. Any other things i should know?
Crazy_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
RickandJanice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Canuck
thankx for the replys. Any other things i should know?

If your are going to store outside, and you have day/night shades, you might want to cover the windows with foil insulation to keep the sun from fading the interior. If you have mini blinds, you can just close them. Also might want to cover the tires of apply a product called "Sun Block". I would also put wood between the tires and the ground to keep the tires off the ground or concrete if it is outside. One last rubber roof treatment before putting into storage might also be a good idea.
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote