Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
sylvain&lynn

truck

hi evreybody i am new on this forum me and wife just bought a new elite suite 38rl3 now shopping for a truck what size truck you guys suggest big rig or 1ton dually

sylvain&lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
RGordon

Your rigs is extremely heavy and would need at least a F450, 4500 series or larger.

2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
missourijan

We have a Dodge 3500 dually and I wouldn't think of pulling an Elite with it. Well, I guess we could pull it but I don't think we could stop it. Remember, the dually's are actually rated to pull less than you would think because of the weight of the dual stuff in back. Get a big truck, I believe the F450 is rated to tow that much.
2012 Mobile Suite #5942
2012 Ford F350 Super duty
"We used to work, now we workamp"
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Motor31

You are looking at a GVW of 20,000 lbs for that trailer. There isn't a one ton made rated for that load. As already noted you will need a minimum of a 4500 / 450 (depending on brand) to tow legally and safely. Just getting it moving is not the end all of towing. Even a half ton will "move" it but it will be neither safe or legal.

You can look at the normal Detroit brands or at a medium duty truck. In either case it's not going to be cheap for new. I'd suggest looking for a used unit as there are folks bailing out of the RV world now and you should have several to choose from.

Some of us also use a heavy duty truck like a retired semi but that is really only viable for the full timer. It can be far cheaper in the short and long run however if you are going full time. It's more truck than you need but the economics of it can be very inviting.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
bstark

Mike is right on the money! The quickest growing segmant of the RV towing experience is the conversion to the HDT (Heavy Duty Truck) pullers.

Some info; Escapee's forum has a forum devoted to both the MDT and HDT groups. Info on that forum abounds.

A used fleet maintained full class 8 semi tractor in the Volvo, Peterbuilt, Kenworth auto-shift (clutch used for starting/stopping only) or full Ultra/Freedomline/I-shift (no clutch pedal at all) seem to be the favourites with arguably better comfort, equal or better mileage than the new catalytic equipped pick-ups, far better brakes, load carrying/towing capabilities in the stratosphere and perhaps even with remaining warranty at half the cost of a new pick-up in the class required are well within the realms of possibility for the informed shopper.

Having said all of this; you will of course, hear from the folks towing your size trailer with 2500/3500 series P/U's who will exclaim loudly about the overkill of a big rig and how they've had no negative experience's towing with the LTD's.

It remains to be your choice and since you've asked in an open forum be prepared for the coming onslought, haaaarr!
Old 12-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
billr

Like mentioned above, go to the MDT/HDT forum and check out the links and resource guide. It will answer about every possible question on the HDT direction. It was my bible while setting up the Volvo.

We have a 38RL3 and while not an Elite, it runs at about 18K. I believe the Elite will be closer to 20K loaded. We towed it with a pickup for 2 yrs and while it performed fine, I was wearing those rose colored glasses thinking I had it all covered.

We chose to go the HDT route and it is the absolute best thing we ever did! Like Mike mentioned, it may not be for everyone, but for us it just made too much sense. The safety and comfort along with power and brakes way out weighs the size issues. We have towed for a year now with the Volvo and have yet to have any issues finding and parking in any campground we wanted to go. Same goes for daily driving while traveling, we do everything we did before with a PU with no issues. Just have to watch out for those trees and drive thru's are not an option. ha No sore backs, no chucking, arriving refreshed and all the space inside you can ask for. Our Volvo cost us under $35K ready to tow singled. It out turns any 4 door dually pickup and gets better or equal fuel mileage. We are not fulltimers, but it works great for us. The thought of dropping $65K on a new PU truck then putting $5-10K of add ons to make it usable made us cry, then to have to repeat it in 5 yrs was insane. (that's what we have done for several years) This is likely to be the last truck we ever buy.

As Bruce said, everyone will have their own response to this question and each to their own opinion. This is simply mine. Good luck in your quest!

Cheers,
Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
jdwilson3

Stay away from the GM 4500-5500 series trucks...they are NOT rated to tow 20K. I want one but they just are not truck enough. GM should be ashamed that they are only rated 1000 pounds higher than the 3500s. I like my 4700 International but am also looking to go newer.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
2blackdogs

I tow my 20K Elite Suite with a 2001 F550 Crew Cab Starhauler and it's near being maxed out. Besides all that I need a half of a football field just to turn the truck around.
If I were in your shoes I'd go for a used FL, PB or Volvo. They are out there to be had at good prices and soon will be the best time to buy.
Good Luck
Bob
Trailer Saver hitch
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST
2blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #9
Gunship Guy

We also have a 38RL3 and bought our Volvo specifically for this trailer. I already had a 1 ton Dodge CTD but never hooked it up to our MS. The trailer is just too heavy for a 1 ton.

We get approached in campgrounds on every outing and the comments are usually, "I never realized you could tow rv trailers with a semi" or "I'd love to have something like that but I'm not sure I could handle it".

HDTs are becoming more and more popular as people are exposed to their virtues. As for handling them, there's a small learning curve but once you've become comfortable with their size and blind spots you will wonder why you waited so long.

I find HDTs the best way to pull larger trailers. The comfort level is second to none. My family loves traveling in the truck. Operating expenses have been a non-issue. Other than the cost of initially getting everything set up I've had no big expenses. It just doesn't break!
Gunship Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #10
rverdlm

I ditto everything that's been said about the HDTs. Best desision I've made in a while!
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #11
sylvain&lynn

truck

thank you everybody for your your advise it will be a hdt we start camping in may so i have 5 months to find a used hdthope you guys enjoy the warm weather south here in quebec we freeze and burried in snowcat wait to be fulltime and join you happy camping everybody
Old 12-07-2008, 06:26 PM   #12
sylvain&lynn

truck

thank you everybody for your your advise it will be a hdt we start camping in may so i have 5 months to find a used hdthope you guys enjoy the warm weather south here in quebec we freeze and burried in snow cant wait to be fulltime and join you happy camping everybody
Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 PM   #13
Diesel-Gypsy

Sylvain & Lynn, I'm a Quebecer, I too feel your best choice would be an HDT.
I have a Volvo HDT and have used it exclusively for towing my 5th. wheel.
My wife and I are not full-timers, and the cost is still quite reasonable for us.

You will need a bit of coaching, and some education as far as an HDT purchase is concerned.

I would be happy to help you out .

So....congradulations on a beautiful coach, and welcome to the group!

Rick

Old 12-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
sylvain&lynn

truck

thank you rick for your offer i can use all the help you can give me like licence cost safety and evrrything else
Old 12-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #15
billr

Sylvain & Lynn,

Rick is the go to "Guy" in the HDT world! So your will be well served getting in touch with Rick. He helped us and many many more get thier HDT's.

Good luck, and if you need any more info feel free to PM me too.

Cheers,
Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #16
sylvain&lynn

truck

thanks bill and joan i will keep that in mind not quite ready yet will keep in touch with you and rick thank you again very appreciated sorry for my english but i try hard sylvain s
Old 12-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #17
Gemstone

We started out with a Dodge 3500, after a white knuckle situation, moved up to a 95 KW...we have less money invested in our modified HDT than we do in our modified 3500, and it will pull and stop anything I want to pull, and it will outlast me.
Wish I would have asked questions before hand like you are doing, it would have saved my seat cushion.

Regards
Gemstone