Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2007, 07:23 AM   #1
OB

HDT in Mexico ?

I'm writing you all today with a question,,,, Have any of you traveling in Mexico seen any HDT's pulling 5th wheels through Mexico? Heard anything positive or negative about it?

I would sure love to head south in Jan or Feb. with the big truck. What do you all think about it?

Thanks
OB

04 36TK3 #1207 w/5th airborne pin hitch
OB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:13 AM   #2
rverdlm

There was just (within the last month or so) a big discussion of this on the HDT section of the SKP forum. From that discussion there seems to be a problem if you use the truck as a daily driver without the trailer. In that situation the truck may be confiscated.

Here's the URL to that discussion
http://escapees.infopop.cc/eve/forum...8/m/2381081482

2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
bstark

Dependant on the crossing point, they have a tendancy to interpret the rules differently. Case in point; they will run the VIN number and if that translates to a vehicle designated as "commercial" as it came out of the factory then you are risking confiscation when you pass the 21Km marker boundary as not having the proper permits to haul commercial within Mx. One individual who took his rig with "double-towing" a boat behind was OK going in all hooked up but brought his boat back to USA separately and they would not allow him to re-enter to retrieve his trailer. His only option was to rent a P/U to go in and get his RV.

My truck is a class 6 MDT and upon enquiry of Mx border folks at Algodones have been told a number of different rules apply and this alone has provided enough doubt to tell me that it's just too "iffy" the way they can interpret the rules to give them the kind of clout over me that taking these expensive toys into MX would give them, the Mexican officialdom thrives on "the petite Mordida" (the small bribe) no thanks!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
jdwilson3

Interesting

We just had a friend depart here (Butterfield RV Resort, Benson AZ) heading for Nogales to cross the border to drive to Mazatlan.

He was pulling his 5er with a new International RXT.

He will be back in a month or two, so I am curious to hear about his trip, as he is not towing a double with a car.