Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > 5th Wheel Forums Community Discussions > General Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2023, 02:03 PM   #1
mattc1128

In the "fantasy phase"

Hello Group. My name is Matt and I am just now starting to research all things RV. I'm currently 57 years old and active airline pilot with 8 years left to go to retirement. I have always loved camping but have recently been bit by the whole RV lifestyle. With the exception of a camper trailer that I pulled behind my motorcycle and tent camping, I have no RV experience. But with a lot of research i have figured out that my "use case" leads me to a 5th wheel because: 1) I want to bring my goldwing motorcycle (= toy hauler) and 2) have a practical "unhooked" tow vehicle when I get to destination (= don't really want a dually) and 3) don't want to "double tow" (=no TT pulling a trailer with my bike). Finally, 4, want this to be as "solo friendly" as possible. I have no SO and if I pulled the trigger on this prior to retirement it would be me, my daughters and my grandkid(s). This is where I am at right now... really looking at the Brinkley 3500G (toy hauler) with a tow vehicle of a Ford F350 Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab, 8ft bed, 6.7L HO Diesel. Max Tow with this vehicle with a gooseneck tow hitch = 31,800lbs. Max payload of truck = 4572lb. Max Gross weight of the RV = 21,500 lbs (16967 UVW on the RV). By my calculations that equates to a safety margin of 32%. Some main questions:
1. Am I in the ballpark with my research and calculations?
2. Am I nuts for wanting a SRW vs. a DRW tow vehicle?
3. Am I nuts for wanting to try to do this all on my own?
4. What recommendations do you have for a neophyte like me? (I HAVE actually ordered a vehicle on 5th wheeling for dummies).

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks, Matt
mattc1128 is offline   Reply With Quote