Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
mrkgrysngr

Lost wheel bearing on axel!

Well, this has been quite a day. We started out from Colby, KS headed for the Wichita area. We got about 25 miles and lost a wheel bearing on our 2007 36' RS3 Mobile Suite. The bearings are sealed and are supposed to last for thousands of miles. We have maybe 9,000 miles at the most on the rig.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems like this. I ordered the unit with the best suspension you could have. I got 8,000 lb. axels, aluminium wheels, 17.5 tires and TrailAire. In other words the works. I will have to have the whole axle replaced with rotor, brake caliper etc. on the side that went bad.

Lippert has been very good so far in helping. I was able to get them and John Carpenter said all the parts will be pulled Monday and shipped that same day. I am hoping they can all get here to Oakley, KS by Wed - Thursday next week at the latest.

So...... any advise from you all would be appreciated. Should I be suspect of the other "sealed bearings" and ask that they be replaced too?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Mark Gray

www.markgraymusic.com

Ps. 104:33
mrkgrysngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
RGordon

Sorry to hear about your issues and I have been trying to figure out how you do maintenance on the 8K Kodiak XL Lube bearings. I pulled the cover and looked like it was sealed bearings. I really didn't see any way of repacking the bearings. I see where you had to have a new axle, how did it realize it was bad and why could you not just replace the bearings. I have read on past post where they locked up and spun in the spring hangers, ripping brake lines.

2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
bstark

It depends on which bearing race has a greater grip on it's hub/rotor counterpart. If the inner race spins on the shaft, in very short order it will wear a groove in the shaft and that's all she wrote for the axle.

Not familiar enough with the Kodiac system as I believe mine are the previous gen Dexter Nev-R-Lube and they weren't sealed but rather two humongous Timken style tapered sets opposed mounted with 155lb torque preload. Those previous set-ups had the bearing sitting in a cavity that would continuously lube the sets as the lube warmed up.

JMHO but fully sealed bearings are a crap-shoot for the limited amount of lube that can be retained within the bearing races themselves, heat is the destroyer of the seal and then the high-temp bearing lube can actually get hot enough (shouldn't) to liquify and drain from the bearing, et-voila, dry bearing! Something must have been wrong with the bearing to have triggered the heat generation though.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
Hobo

I have been running the Kodiac system for 15 to 20 K and no bearing problem. It may have been a bad bearing to start or if you have had other work done on that wheel, rotor pulled for any reason, possibly it was not reassembled correctly.

They are all individually assembled so I would not worry about the other 3.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote