Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > 5th Wheel Brand Forums > DRV | Formerly Doubletree
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
mloftin

Wineguard Travler SK-3005

I am planing on installing the Wineguard Travler on my 08 38rl3 MS, has any one already done this? I know it has the prep but looks like I will have to run the control cable and that is where the problem may lie, any help ???

2008 MS 38RL3 #4346
mloftin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
Motor31

From other folks past experience, do not be surprised if the cable for the satellite is not where the antenna is supposed to be mounted. Other folks found the coax was merely coiled at the end of the trailer rather than being strung to the mounting position because they bought the dish "prep" rather than having the factory install the unit.

Be prepared to string all wiring rather than just the control wires.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
mloftin

My cables are where they said the would be, but I have 1 phone line and 2 16ga. wires plus the 2 rg6 cables and at this piont not sure if there is a way to run the control wire from over the toliet room to the entertainment cab in the bedroom. What I am thinking about is cutting the control wire and splicing it to the phone cable and the 2 16ga wires and then resplicing at the entertainment cab in bedroom.
2008 MS 38RL3 #4346
Old 04-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
WHy don't you run the wire down the vent tube. It will come out in the basement, probably at the cb panel on the floor, then reroute it from there.
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
RodeWorthy

Winegard Trav'ler on Mobile Suites

Good choice on the Winegard Trav'ler. I am planning to install one as well on my '07 36RS3. I had a good look at these at Quartzsite and they are excellent.

I have investigated running cables from the roof to the bedroom equipment closet. Presently there is one white RG-6 and one black RG-6 and about a 16ga pair wired from the entertainment equipment and coiled beneath the vent on the roof. I need to have 3 RG-6 cables and a control cable for my system. It should be an easy job to bring the cables down that vent and access them through the ceiling fan opening in the toilet room. There is room to work there to feed the cables to the W/D closet and then out behind the cabinetry in the bedroom. Small holes will need to be drilled to pass through the wall(s).

I have installed a ground based dish using the same routing for my extra cables except from the W/D closet the cables run down to the basement and across to the existing cable/satellite connection in the outdoor equipment hutch. It is a clean installation and relatively easy.

I will mount the Winegard adjacent to that roof vent and may route the wires under it and up into the unit from the base rather than across the roof from the vent. Of course this means another hole in the roof. My Starchoice system employs a GPS receiver as well but that is all external.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Would be great to see some pictures. I particularly want to see how much shadow it would throw which could be detrimental to my solar panels.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
mloftin

Will most likley install this weekend, I pulled down the fan in the toilet room Saturday to have a look. I would like to be able to fish the wires through the ceiling along the bundle that is there but I think that may be imposible, may just have to run through the back of the cabinets drilling small holes in the walls.. Will try and post some pic's if it goes well.
2008 MS 38RL3 #4346
Old 04-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
mloftin

O.K. The Winegard Travler is now installed, no pic's yet but will try and take some this weekend. What I wound up doing with the control wire was bringing it through the vent pipe into the bathroom area and then I cut a small hole in the pantry over the toliel at the top so I could cut a hole in the ceiling to the left of the pantry. Then I ran the control cable into the closet by the entry door and mounted the control box above the switch for the owning. I bought a panel mount (SKA-850) from Winegard/Camping World which allowed me to flush mount the control box. I had to run a seperate power source for the control box which I tied into the hot water switch and ran it into the area behind the control box, I have not had any issues with pulling power from the hw switch since the control box has very little amp draw.

2008 MS 38RL3 #4346